Overclocking Corsair Dominator Platinum

26 minutes ago, AnonGamer said:

I'm on the latest BIOS.  I'd rather not give up my CPU overclock for a bit more RAM performance.  Seems like a losing proposition.  

You find what your RAM will do first and then add the CPU OC afterward. There is also the cache, which you find the max for after the CPU is clocked, as you can see in the memory tab here at 5.3GHz (NB Freq)

pfast5.5.jpg

On 9/1/2017 at 11:20 PM, dexT said:

You find what your RAM will do first and then add the CPU OC afterward. There is also the cache, which you find the max for after the CPU is clocked, as you can see in the memory tab here at 5.3GHz (NB Freq)

pfast5.5.jpg

Ah, but will my RAM overclock limit my CPU overclock? I'm just not sure if the trade off is worth it for my use-case.

23 minutes ago, AnonGamer said:

Ah, but will my RAM overclock limit my CPU overclock? I'm just not sure if the trade off is worth it for my use-case.

Not until you get up into super high clocks on both.

16 hours ago, dexT said:

GTK.  I'll give your method a shot and see what I can do.  

On 9/3/2017 at 8:28 PM, dexT said:

I tried what you suggested.  The XMP profile is loaded but the RAM is still not running at its rated speed.  This is getting maddening.  

If youre using CPU-Z it doesnt show double data rate so 1600 = 3200. Youre good if 1600.

31 minutes ago, dexT said:

If youre using CPU-Z it doesnt show double data rate so 1600 = 3200. Youre good if 1600.

No. Its showing about 1066.  Meaning my RAM is running at 2133Mhz.  Pretty frustrating.  

43 minutes ago, AnonGamer said:

No. Its showing about 1066.  Meaning my RAM is running at 2133Mhz.  Pretty frustrating.  

I suspect the memory controller on the CPU is very weak, you're using the XMP voltage now that 4000+ sticks use. Bum luck I think.

2 minutes ago, dexT said:

I suspect the memory controller on the CPU is very weak, you're using the XMP voltage now that 4000+ sticks use. Bum luck I think.

Well, that's a bummer.  :/

Update:  Got it running w/ rated timings at 2800Mhz on 1.35v.  Whether its stable?  Who knows.  I'm going to try and run some stress tests to see.  Maybe I can push it to 3200Mhz if I up the voltage a bit?  What do you think is safe?  Tried finding specs on Corsairs website but couldn't find anything about safe voltages.  

Jk.  Forgot my board won't let me take the ram above 1.35v.  Couldn't get it to boot consistently at 2800Mhz so I've dialed it back to 2600Mhz which is still better than stock.  MemTest86 for stability testing?