Is it worth waiting for the 8th gen intel CPU

5 minutes ago, PhaseShift said:

If you can then wait. Coffee lake is new platform, so once it comes out kaby lake is essentially dead.

Until the rest of Kaby Lake-X comes along Buwahwahwahahaha!

I'm in the same situation as you. After a lot of deliberation  and lots of forum questions I'm waiting for the 8700k. It will have 2 more cores and 4 more threads. Think about it this way: do you want to be using this PC in 4 years? If all of the top and mid range chips, i5, i7, Ryzen 5, and Ryzen 7 are ALL on 6+ cores, then games will take advantage of those extra cores. In 4 years, 4 cores will be an entry chip. Even in October, 4 cores will be an entry chip with only low end Ryzen 5's, Ryzen 3's, and i3's being quad cores. I wouldn't want to be stuck on a quad core even with hyperthreading in 4 years. 

Yes, waiting 2 months REALLY sucks. I hate it too. However, 2 months of waiting to get a better experience for 48 months? I'd take that sacrifice all day long. 

7 minutes ago, SlaughterSmurf said:

I'm in the same situation as you. After a lot of deliberation  and lots of forum questions I'm waiting for the 8700k. It will have 2 more cores and 4 more threads. Think about it this way: do you want to be using this PC in 4 years? If all of the top and mid range chips, i5, i7, Ryzen 5, and Ryzen 7 are ALL on 6+ cores, then games will take advantage of those extra cores. In 4 years, 4 cores will be an entry chip. Even in October, 4 cores will be an entry chip with only low end Ryzen 5's, Ryzen 3's, and i3's being quad cores. I wouldn't want to be stuck on a quad core even with hyperthreading in 4 years. 

Yes, waiting 2 months REALLY sucks. I hate it too. However, 2 months of waiting to get a better experience for 48 months? I'd take that sacrifice all day long. 

I see what your saying but I don't wannnnnaaaaa

Just now, Insomniax said:

I see what your saying but I don't wannnnnaaaaa

If you really don't want to then why are you here?! Go have fun! If you're comfortable knowing that you'll be on an entry level chip as soon as 2-3 years, then go for it! Just know that the extra two months of waiting would put you at a mid to high end chip for much longer. Coffee lake is the biggest jump in performance since Sandy Bridge. If you're asking if it's worth it to wait two months? Yes it is. But if you don't want to and you're okay with having a less future capable PC, then go for it. It's not like the 7700k will become useless in 4 years. It just may struggle if you throw in a 1380 ti and try to run games at ultra settings. 

5 hours ago, SlaughterSmurf said:

If you really don't want to then why are you here?! Go have fun! If you're comfortable knowing that you'll be on an entry level chip as soon as 2-3 years, then go for it! Just know that the extra two months of waiting would put you at a mid to high end chip for much longer. Coffee lake is the biggest jump in performance since Sandy Bridge. If you're asking if it's worth it to wait two months? Yes it is. But if you don't want to and you're okay with having a less future capable PC, then go for it. It's not like the 7700k will become useless in 4 years. It just may struggle if you throw in a 1380 ti and try to run games at ultra settings. 

Yeaahhhhh guess I'll wait