Custom case airflow

InertiaSelling
Go to solution Solved by Glennieboyyy007,

it looks a bit like the gpu isnt getting enough fresh air, if you look at the path that air will come through.

maybe try to add a vent (maybe with fan) underneath the gpu.

you could do some lines of it or so, but just that it can suck in its own fresh air.

but to the point, it wont hurt keeping it this way

Hi. I've recently rebuilt my computer in a custom case. Since it's way smaller than the original case, and there are only two vents (one intake, one exhaust), I expected an increase in overall temperature. Now that it's done, though, I'm wondering whether I should be concerned. First, here are some pictures of the build.

1503579043-20170824-125932.jpg

1503579042-20170824-134709.jpg

1503579049-20170824-142658.jpg

As you can see, the graphics card doesn't have much room to breathe, and the overall space is very restricted.

• The CPU (ryzen 5 1500x) doesn't seem to have suffered much. In the old case, it used to reach the low 60s after two cinebench R15 benchmarks. Now it's around 65°C. (ambient temperature was between 25 and 27°C for both).

• I'm a little more worried about the graphics card (gtx 1060 6gb). It used to reach the low 70s while gaming (90 to 100% usage). Now it reaches 80°C under the exact same load. Also, it takes much more time than before to go back to its idle temperature, between 30 and 40°C.

• The m.2 SSD is another cause for concern. It's located under the graphics card, and reaches 60°C when the card is under heavy load. It also idles anywhere between 40 and 47°C, versus 35 to 40°C with the old case.

I'm aware that my ambient temperature is a little hot. I also know that all of these temperatures are within the acceptable range for all of my components (85°C max for the GPU and CPU, 75°C max for the SSD). I'm not sure these temps are acceptable in the long run, though. What do you think ?

Thanks.

it looks a bit like the gpu isnt getting enough fresh air, if you look at the path that air will come through.

you could do some lines of it or so, but just that it can suck in its own fresh air.

~i5-7600k @5GHz ~Be Quiet! Dark rock 3 ~MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G ~Gigabyte GA-Z270-gaming K3 ~Corsair Vengeance Red led ~NZXT S340 Elite

5 minutes ago, InertiaSelling said:

4 fan mounts

Front airflow os terrible in that case so yeah you will be fine as long as there is a intake.You might wanna drill some holes hor the gpu or put a mesh or something there

My life

1 minute ago, Glennieboyyy007 said:

1 minute ago, Himommies said:

Front airflow os terrible in that case so yeah you will be fine as long as there is a intake.You might wanna drill some holes hor the gpu or put a mesh or something there

I think I'll just remove the two decorative switches in front of the GPU for now, as I don't have the heart to disassemble everything right after putting it together. I'll definitely add an intake vent later though. Thanks for your help @Glennieboyyy007 @Himommies.

those temps are fine, thats what you get for not letting enough air in/out. make a few more holes or stick with this, your temperatures are fine and saying thats not enough room for the GPU to breathe would be a joke. look at this shit:

IMG_20170819_153915.thumb.jpg.07442d6b7aacd7ee37c6b7b495ae9a4a.jpg

thats covering two of the three fans by a harddrive, its still doing its job just fine

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

12 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

those temps are fine, thats what you get for not letting enough air in/out. make a few more holes or stick with this, your temperatures are fine and saying thats not enough room for the GPU to breathe would be a joke. look at this shit:

IMG_20170819_153915.thumb.jpg.07442d6b7aacd7ee37c6b7b495ae9a4a.jpg

thats covering two of the three fans by a harddrive, its still doing its job just fine

Right now, the GPU temperature is stable at 83°C under load, and drops by 4°C whenever I open the lid, which is not even a direct intake. That seems to indicate that a bit of drilling and / or cutting would help. I'll leave it that way for a while, then add a vent when I find the courage to disassemble / reassemble everything. Thanks for the pic @Bananasplit_00, it's extremely reassuring.

26 minutes ago, InertiaSelling said:

Right now, the GPU temperature is stable at 83°C under load, and drops by 4°C whenever I open the lid, which is not even a direct intake. That seems to indicate that a bit of drilling and / or cutting would help. I'll leave it that way for a while, then add a vent when I find the courage to disassemble / reassemble everything. Thanks for the pic @Bananasplit_00, it's extremely reassuring.

thats my computer right now, waiting for my new GPU and waterblock lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-6e03a2bc2e9815c62aa73ebf36dbde38-c

Try doing something like that. Basically, make a funnel or something that diverts air from the fan 90* to the left. Should give your GPU that little bit more airflow.

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads.