GPU Temp Issues With New Loop

I just finished building my custom loop a few days ago. CPU temps are great but my gpu is reaching 85c anytime that i try to run a benchmark or load a game. Since building this i have drained my loop and taken apart my graphics card 3 separate times. At first, i thought it was a contact issue so i took it apart to see that contact between the block and the die was good because my TIM spread out nice and even. I have put different TIM on it, i have replaced the thermal pads, i took apart the block to see if the microchannels were clogged up and everything seems to be fine. Even EK support says all of the internals and the way i assembled the card looked good. I just emailed them a few minutes ago telling them that the last suggestion they gave me didnt work and that i am still having problems but i wanted to look elsewhere for help because i honestly have no idea what else to do. specs are 7600k not oc'd at the moment, 1080ti, 1 280 rad, 1 120 rad, blocks are from EK, all other parts are from primochill and my pump is at 75%. 

Give us a picture of your loop. You likely have the port configuration wrong on the GPU. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, IskanderEXC said:

I don't know anything about custom loops, just came by to say that it looks great

thanks, man. i wish it was working haha 

I just recently had this exact issue with my A240G kit (see EKWB discord under support and search Dlog). Temps at idle were ok at 30c, running Heaven took me to 90c.  Though the paste looked to be spreading even it wasn't under enough pressure to really make good contact with the block. I had previously used the NZXT kracken G10 and apparently over torqued the mounting bracket causing a slight bend in my card.

The solution was to add additional washers around the GPU hold down screws. Added 3 paper washers from a cheep screwdriver set I had lying around (the insignia branded one with the small pillbox filled with common screws, jumpers and washers that every Bestbuy sells) my temps are now an icy 26c doing nothing and ~43c in Heaven at 1440p ultra.

4 minutes ago, Dlog said:

I just recently had this exact issue with my A240G kit (see EKWB discord under support and search Dlog). Temps at idle were ok at 30c, running Heaven took me to 90c.  Though the paste looked to be spreading even it wasn't under enough pressure to really make good contact with the block. I had previously used the NZXT kracken G10 and apparently over torqued the mounting bracket causing a slight bend in my card.

The solution was to add additional washers around the GPU hold down screws. Added 3 paper washers from a cheep screwdriver set I had lying around (the insignia branded one with the small pillbox filled with common screws, jumpers and washers that every Bestbuy sells) my temps are now an icy 26c doing nothing and ~43c in Heaven at 1440p ultra.

How would adding washers help tighten the block closer to the card? Wouldn't adding more washers just decrease the threading availability? I believe you i just dont see how adding more space between the screw and the threads would make it tighter to the block

Just now, wittydisplayname said:

How would adding washers help tighten the block closer to the card? Wouldn't adding more washers just decrease the threading availability? I believe you i just dont see how adding more space between the screw and the threads would make it tighter to the block

You have a limited number of threading available and usually some non threaded space on the screw, puting washers in that space and shortening that will let you over tighten and get the block closer. Give me a sec and I'll pull the pictures I had.

Just now, Dlog said:

You have a limited number of threading available and usually some non threaded space on the screw, puting washers in that space and shortening that will let you over tighten and get the block closer. Give me a sec and I'll pull the pictures I had.

That makes sense. Thanks 

This was before I added washers, My screws had small springs on them to acheive EKWB's expected level of contact. Adding washers on this side let me put more downward pressure on the board to make it come into contact.

here is the after and a shot of what my temps looked like before a bit out of order, the one with 90c is before washers..

2 minutes ago, Dlog said:

This was before I added washers, My screws had small springs on them to acheive EKWB's expected level of contact. Adding washers on this side let me put more downward pressure on the board to make it come into contact.

So in total you had 4 washers in the 4 screws around the die? 

So in total you had 4 washers in the 4 screws around the die? 

my block had 8 screws, I put one plastic and one paper or 3 paper per screw (evens out in spacing, use what ya got amiright)

sorry wrong pic with washers  here is the right one

2 minutes ago, Dlog said:

my block had 8 screws, I put one plastic and one paper or 3 paper per screw (evens out in spacing, use what ya got amiright)

Okay, my block only has 4 screws around the die itself. Im still waiting to here back from ek because everything they have told me to do hasnt helped. Ill run the washer idea by them and see what they say. thanks for the help

Okay, my block only has 4 screws around the die itself. Im still waiting to here back from ek because everything they have told me to do hasnt helped. Ill run the washer idea by them and see what they say 

I spent about 3 days working with Igor and didn't really get anywhere. You can only reapply thermal paste so many times before you sit down and try something else.

Just now, Dlog said:

I spent about 3 days working with Igor and didn't really get anywhere. You can only reapply thermal paste so many times before you sit down and try something else.

Yeah, thats where i am currently at... 

1 minute ago, wittydisplayname said:

Yeah, thats where i am currently at... 

If your feeling frisky do a pinch test, if you have a peace of foam or something soft and non conductive, you can place that over the back of the board over where the die is and pinch with your fingers. Not super recommended but if you do this during a test and temps drop... there is your problem.

3 minutes ago, Dlog said:

If your feeling frisky do a pinch test, if you have a peace of foam or something soft and non conductive, you can place that over the back of the board over where the die is and pinch with your fingers. Not super recommended but if you do this during a test and temps drop... there is your problem.

holy crap, dude. that worked... When i would squeeze near the die my temps dropped by like 15c

2 minutes ago, wittydisplayname said:

holy crap, dude. that worked... When i would squeeze near the die my temps dropped by like 15c

Find some washers.

May your frames be high and your temps low.

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it. hopefully the washers will fix it 

Is it also because of the thermal pad that you're screwing through? I can see 2 screw holes affected by the pads. I would have thought this would have also affected the Z-height pretty badly.

Bc0yhfW.jpg

4 hours ago, For Science! said:

Is it also because of the thermal pad that you're screwing through? I can see 2 screw holes affected by the pads. I would have thought this would have also affected the Z-height pretty badly.

Bc0yhfW.jpg

EK said that was fine 

To add to this, IS the pump output on the right if you look at the pic?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz