Xfinity high ping

Jskn

So the internet lately has been very weak for gaming and multitasking.  It used to seem like a bandwidth issue becuase I could not run overwatch and discord at the same time, but now I cant even load overwatch properly due to ping.  Is there any explanation besides a bad router given to us?  The computer works fine while loading webpages and on other wifi.

Are you on WiFi or hardwired to the modem? What do your speed tests say? I was having a similar issue and had Xfinity come out to the house but it turned out that my WiFi adapter had kicked the bucket. 

32 minutes ago, Jskn said:

So the internet lately has been very weak for gaming and multitasking.  It used to seem like a bandwidth issue becuase I could not run overwatch and discord at the same time, but now I cant even load overwatch properly due to ping.  Is there any explanation besides a bad router given to us?  The computer works fine while loading webpages and on other wifi.

What speed teir do you have? Are you using their modem/router or your own? What are your modem signal levels? Does this happen with wired connection or just wireless? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

A lot of things could be the problem, is it always like this or only at certain times? It can be an oversubscribed node, it can be bad wiring between you and the node, it can be a bad box, bad signal from the node, cable thief in the area, degraded infrastructure being rekt by heat or moisture.

13 hours ago, NavyGuy2007 said:

Are you on WiFi or hardwired to the modem? 

13 hours ago, mcaldwell said:

Has this always been a problem for you?

13 hours ago, Donut417 said:

What speed teir do you have? Are you using their modem/router or your own? What are your modem signal levels? Does this happen with wired connection or just wireless? 

So I can't try wired because that is across the house. Lots of devices cannot multitask now and we are using the xfinity rental because my parents are scared to upgrade. We have 75mb up and 12mb down. I have recently seen this problem. 

Also, resetting the router fixed it for about 5 minutes. 

Reason I asked is if you are a ways away from the modem you may need to connect to the 2.4ghz channel instead of the 5.0. 

7 minutes ago, NavyGuy2007 said:

Reason I asked is if you are a ways away from the modem you may need to connect to the 2.4ghz channel instead of the 5.0. 

How does one change to 2.4 in windows 

oh yeah so the router is above my computer in the room above but a cable would have to go around the house. 

You have to log on to the router and change the name in the wifi settings to diferentiate the connections then connect to it.

1 minute ago, NavyGuy2007 said:

You have to log on to the router and change the name in the wifi settings to diferentiate the connections then connect to it.

Oh ok. I'll do that once I'm home. My brother has been having problems tho and his wifi card is 2.4 only. 

4 hours ago, Jskn said:

using the xfinity rental

Thats your problem. Their Modem/Router gateways suck ass when it comes to WiFi. Its a known issue, they dont plan on fixing it. Your best bet is to disable the wireless on the Xfinity box and get you a nice dual band Wireless AP. Ubiquti has some good units to choose from. 

Also, there are other wired standards to consider. Moca which can use the same Coax Comcast is using to deliver wired connection to your computer and Power Line adapters that can use the electrical cables in your walls to deliver and wired connection. Both have advantages and disadvantages. I would look in to them if I were you. 

On 8/23/2017 at 2:23 PM, Donut417 said:

Thats your problem. Their Modem/Router gateways suck ass when it comes to WiFi. Its a known issue, they dont plan on fixing it. Your best bet is to disable the wireless on the Xfinity box and get you a nice dual band Wireless AP. Ubiquti has some good units to choose from. 

Also, there are other wired standards to consider. Moca which can use the same Coax Comcast is using to deliver wired connection to your computer and Power Line adapters that can use the electrical cables in your walls to deliver and wired connection. Both have advantages and disadvantages. I would look in to them if I were you. 

So for some reason my internet went back to normal. I was panning on buying an Asus router and new modem for less than 120 usd. Is there any chance you could help me with that?  My parents are still pressured into using what they gave us. 

4 hours ago, Jskn said:

So for some reason my internet went back to normal. I was panning on buying an Asus router and new modem for less than 120 usd. Is there any chance you could help me with that?  My parents are still pressured into using what they gave us. 

Cheapest modem is like 50. On top of that your most likely are going to spend over 100 as the 8x4 modems can only do up to 200 Mbps. A decent router is like $70 from what I have seen. Do you have the phone service by chance? I only ask because it's more difficult to buy a modem then. 

8 hours ago, Jskn said:

https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/ that should look to the Comcast supported device list. This will give you an idea what modems are compatible with your cable system. Though mostly I see the Arris 6183 or the Netgear CM600 suggested. Thats assuming you dont have the voice service. 

• 1 year later...
On 8/22/2017 at 6:45 PM, Jskn said:

honestly xfinity is just dogshit. My router is insanely good and i play on wired connection and yet i get 70 ping which is horrible for competitive gaming and my friend who also has xfinity has this problem.

-Thread Locked-

Please refrain from reviving old threads (this one is two years old); if you are having an similar issue we suggest starting your own thread. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25