Harvard Scientist Create Worlds First 3D Printed Battery!

CPC_RedDawn

Link: http://techbeat.com/2013/11/harvard-scientist-creates-first-3d-printed-battery/

197jn108zidasjpg.jpg

t is amazing what has been achieved with the use of 3D printing technology, yet researchers have never managed to print a battery, that is until now.

Thanks to new types of ink and tools, it is possible to create 3D printed lithium ion cells. Materials scientist Jennifer Lewis from Harvard University, has developed a technique using a series of “functional inks that can solidify into batteries and simple components, including electrodes, wires and antennas.” In effect they are suspensions of nanoparticles of the desired materials (like lithium for batteries), which float in a binder.

High-pressure extruders are used to deposit the functional inks with great accuracy, forcing the ink out at room temperature. It dries very quickly, forming components at such a rate that it is possible to create a simple battery in a matter of minutes.

Technology Review explains why this is such a useful development: “Her printed lithium-ion batteries are as tiny as one millimeter square but perform as well as commercial batteries, because Lewis can render microscale architectures, and position structures with 100-nanometer accuracy, to mirror the structures of much bigger batteries.”

So these 3D printed batteries have the potential to replace current conventional cells but take up far less space. That is definitely an advancement.

I personally think this is just insane!

INSANELY AWESOME!

It could cut costs of batteries down immensely, and we could soon be printing our own with the right materials!

CPU: i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz GPU: HD7970 OC 1200MHz/1650MHz @ 1.138v RAM: 16GB 1866MHz Hyper X Fury PSU: SilverStone 1200W Strider Gold MOBO: MSI GD65 GAMING COOLER: Swiftech H220 CASE: Corsair Air 540 SSD: OCZ 240GB AGILITY 3 HDD: 2X 1TB SAMSUNG SPOINPOINT KEYBOARD: SteelSeries 6GV2 MOUSE: ZOWIE PRO EVO MONITOR: 27" Asus LED 1080p

double A's has it days counted whit this 

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Link: http://techbeat.com/2013/11/harvard-scientist-creates-first-3d-printed-battery/

197jn108zidasjpg.jpg

I personally think this is just insane!

INSANELY AWESOME!

It could cut costs of batteries down immensely, and we could soon be printing our own with the right materials!

Well my XBOX controller needed this a long time ago...

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

i dont think the costs are the big issue. we just need batteries with like 10000mah for phones.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

a quick replacement for your phone battery? I dunno but it sounds promising.

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

i dont think the costs are the big issue. we just need batteries with like 10000mah for phones.

Yea I agree with you there, batteries are actually pretty cheap to buy... but if you could print your own they would only cost the price of the materials. I reckon a lot of companies that manufacturer products (anything really) are SERIOUSLY scared of 3D Printers becoming widespread. It would put them out of business once the price of the printers comes down.

On the other hand, I agree also that we need stronger batteries for our devices. I have an S3 and the stock 2400mah battery is decent but after a long day it drains fast. So I got a 4300mah battery with a thicker back cover and I have not looked back on a full charge the phone will last around three days of general use and a good day and half of heavy use like gaming, watching films, etc all with the screen brightness up full. With the power saving features turned on and a power saving app monitoring everything like screen brightness the battery will last around four days.

CPU: i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz GPU: HD7970 OC 1200MHz/1650MHz @ 1.138v RAM: 16GB 1866MHz Hyper X Fury PSU: SilverStone 1200W Strider Gold MOBO: MSI GD65 GAMING COOLER: Swiftech H220 CASE: Corsair Air 540 SSD: OCZ 240GB AGILITY 3 HDD: 2X 1TB SAMSUNG SPOINPOINT KEYBOARD: SteelSeries 6GV2 MOUSE: ZOWIE PRO EVO MONITOR: 27" Asus LED 1080p

So if I understood correctly, these are higher power density batteries?

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

So if I understood correctly, these are higher power density batteries?

Yes kind of, they have the same power as say a normal triple A battery (or any battery) but come in MUCH smaller sizes. Think of it as a house brick is your current phones battery, whereas the equivalent variant of this 3D printed one would be a pebble LOL.

so when will can i print my own 4770k?

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

This is definitely awesome to see, Forwards to where we can have smartphones lasting days on end without needing a recharge!

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

They should be rechargeable.

And make these for phones more specifically smartphones and make them so they last as long as the old phone like the old Nokias which is week to months on a single charge.