J7 Prime 5GHz support?

AlexanderYaw123

I recently changed a router. In my residential area, there are many people use 2.4GHz and all the channels are fully used by them . Now, im trying to open a 5 Ghz wireless point , but my phone (J7 Prime) didn't show it the SSID for 5 Ghz wifi point. Do my device support 5ghz?

Is this like a community WLAN where you can't setup your own wireless router or something?  There's no reason you can't have a 2.4 GHz WLAN network on the same channel as someone else.  You're separated by SSID, etc.  There might be a small bit of interference if everyone's close but...yeah.  And yes, your phone supports 802.11a/b/g/n/ac, or at least it says so in its spec sheet.  I can't see a remotely modern phone that didn't have a 5 GHz radio built into it.

3 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

802.11a/b/g/n/ac,

Nope, these specs are for the galaxy J7 (2017)

The J7 prime, which was released in 2016, has 802.11 b/g/n

But  because it has an n card, it means it MAY support 5GHZ. 

Indus Monk = Indian+ Buddhist

2 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

Is this like a community WLAN where you can't setup your own wireless router or something?  There's no reason you can't have a 2.4 GHz WLAN network on the same channel as someone else.  You're separated by SSID, etc.  There might be a small bit of interference if everyone's close but...yeah.  And yes, your phone supports 802.11a/b/g/n/ac, or at least it says so in its spec sheet.  I can't see a remotely modern phone that didn't have a 5 GHz radio built into it.

You could be a bit nicer, you know, this forum is a place for people to get help.

14 minutes ago, AlexanderYaw123 said:

I recently changed a router. In my residential area, there are many people use 2.4GHz and all the channels are fully used by them . Now, im trying to open a 5 Ghz wireless point , but my phone (J7 Prime) didn't show it the SSID for 5 Ghz wifi point. Do my device support 5ghz?

No, your phone does NOT support the 5ghz network. 

However you may want to download a wifi analyzing tool and pick a channel that's not heavily populated. As long as the channel isn't too heavily populated, your wifi will work just fine.

Do you even fanboy bro?

1 minute ago, Liltrekkie said:

You could be a bit nicer, you know, this forum is a place for people to get help.

No, your phone does NOT support the 5ghz network. 

However you may want to download a wifi analyzing tool and pick a channel that's not heavily populated. As long as the channel isn't too heavily populated, your wifi will work just fine.

Not sure what to make of your criticism, but I apologize if I offended.  I'm always snarky.  Also, depending on the environment, selecting a different channel may cause more interference for both him and the other people, if he's running his own AP or router, since many countries have a set of standard channels they use in the 2.4 band to avoid overlap as much as possible.

1 minute ago, PineyCreek said:

non-Galaxy J7 Prime

Nope.

That link is correct.

Indus Monk = Indian+ Buddhist

2 minutes ago, AmbarChakrabarti said:

Nope.

That link is correct.

Ok...then since he has the J7 Prime, he should have a 5GHz radio based on the available 802.11 standards the phone is compatible with.  Or am I misunderstanding?

3 minutes ago, AmbarChakrabarti said:

Nope, these specs are for the galaxy J7 (2017)

The J7 prime, which was released in 2016, has 802.11 b/g/n

But  because it has an n card, it means it MAY support 5GHZ. 

While the N revision supports 5ghz, most chips never enabled the feature. It was one of those "we will add this for the future" type things. wireless ac is what prompted wide spread adoption, as the 5ghz band is needed for full bandwidth. 

Do you even fanboy bro?

Nevermind...I see now two different revisions, one limited to N and the other going up to AC.  @Liltrekkie is right about checking out available spectrum with an app.  He could also get a hardware info app to verify what phone version he has, or a specific model number.

• 4 years later...

Just buy a new 5ghz phone what do? U have to spend lot of money on it just to buy it