Which way should case fans face?

Tech Learner

Now I know when you're building a pc you have to take the case fans out. Now here's my question when you put case fans in the pc case which way do they have to face for them to become and intake and outtake?

Standard config tends to be front fans are intake, rear and top are exhaust.

Edit: If you're referring for actual orientation, the exposed part of the fan with the blades would be intake and the boxey side would be exhaust.

side with the four supports for the motor is where the air gets pushed out of.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

You only need to take fans out if you are moving them around or changing them. They don't block anything you would need to connect.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

think of it this way.

more intake vs exhaust: higher internal pressure, less dust being forced into the maching

more exhaust vs intake: lower internal pressure, more dust pulled into the machine through cracks

cold air is dense, intake should be bottom and front.

hot air is less dense, exhaust should be back/top

traditionally we do not have side fans, but in the case that you do, only add them if they do not obstruct with your CPU cooler. then, you can do either intake and exhaust. 

most PCs only need 3 fans or so you don't need excessive fans. 2 intake and 1 exhaust.

the PSU usually faces down, eliminates it in the computer heat exchange system.

fan orientation: officially made fans had arrows pointing to which direction air flows on the sleeve of the fan

@Mooshi Thanks for the advice

@GoblinRum That's some good advice. How many builds have you done with that configuration?

@LoGiCalDrm I'm going to buy a phanteks enthoo pro m tempered glass case. And my plan is to add some Enermax twister pressure fans to the case.

@RadiatingLight Are you sure that information is correct?

6 minutes ago, Tech Learner said:

@RadiatingLight Are you sure that information is correct?

Yes.

the "open" side of the fan sucks in air, and the side of the fan with the numbers, four supports, etc. exhausts air.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

7 hours ago, Tech Learner said:

@LoGiCalDrm I'm going to buy a phanteks enthoo pro m tempered glass case. And my plan is to add some Enermax twister pressure fans to the case.

Still, best way is to switch fans before you put anything else in. It would be hard to reach them once CPU cooler and mobo are in the way.

7 hours ago, Tech Learner said:

Are you sure that information is correct?

If not, most fans have arrows showing way where air is going and blades are turning.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

9 hours ago, Tech Learner said:

@GoblinRum That's some good advice. How many builds have you done with that configuration?

quite a few. it works quite well on anything except some R9 290s and an overclocked post haswell chip or some of that sort

On 8/20/2017 at 7:13 PM, Tech Learner said:

@LoGiCalDrm Okay I will pay attention to the arrows when I'm installing the fans.

It's usually easier to just look at the fan frame/hub since the arrows are often subtle it there are any at all.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.