looking at a used 980ti locally?

wdodge0912

So i just so happened to be checking out craigslist and the letgo app and all those, for used parts locally, and came across someone selling a used MSI GTX980ti. he doesn't give much of a description or sales pitch on it, and only has the one picture. just that it works well and is clean. He is asking $350 for the card.

I want to try to talk the guy down, as I really don't wanna spend that kind of money on a used card that is a generation older. I could through an extra $75 ish and have a brand new 1070. But I also don't wanna low ball the guy. i just emailed him asking if he still had the card, and what hos lowest dollar was. 

Anyways, i don't know the current market value for cards. looking on eBay, i see them being big on @ 250-275 for used ones. looking up MSI ones in general, found a one just the card @ 217 with 8 bids but a day and a half left on it, another one with the box and such @ 220 with 7 days left and 27 bids. 

I was thinking of offering him $250 is he still has it and see what he says. would this be a fair deal slightly in my favor?

2 minutes ago, wdodge0912 said:

So i just so happened to be checking out craigslist and the letgo app and all those, for used parts locally, and came across someone selling a used MSI GTX980ti. he doesn't give much of a description or sales pitch on it, and only has the one picture. just that it works well and is clean. He is asking $350 for the card.

I want to try to talk the guy down, as I really don't wanna spend that kind of money on a used card that is a generation older. I could through an extra $75 ish and have a brand new 1070. But I also don't wanna low ball the guy. i just emailed him asking if he still had the card, and what hos lowest dollar was. 

Anyways, i don't know the current market value for cards. looking on eBay, i see them being big on @ 250-275 for used ones. looking up MSI ones in general, found a one just the card @ 217 with 8 bids but a day and a half left on it, another one with the box and such @ 220 with 7 days left and 27 bids. 

I was thinking of offering him $250 is he still has it and see what he says.

I dont know where you are from, but if you saw last Scrapyard wars, both teams got 980ti for 200-250$ (i am not sure but i have a vague memory that one team got it even as far as low as 150$)

ASUS Maximus VII Hero | i7 4790K OC 4.8GHZ | 4x8GB 2400MHz MSI GTX 1070 alphacool eiswolf gpx pro
Samsung 850 EVO 520GB + Corsair 525gb + 275gb SSD  2TB Seagate Barracuda | 8TB Seagate Archive

Cooler Master HAF-X 942 | EVGA Supernova 1000W 80+ Platinum | Custom watercooling loop (gpu+cpu)

360mm+180mm rad and 10 fans | Swiftech D5 mcp655-B

Just now, bughtoo said:

I dont know where you are from, but if you saw last Scrapyard wars, both teams got 980ti for 200-250$

I'm in Michigan. 

And now that you mention it, i do remember that.

$250 is about average for a 980TI. $350 is 1080 money

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just a negotiating tip, NEVER go in and ask a guy straight away what his lowest dollar is. It comes off as super disrespectful and is more likely to get the seller annoyed than giving am honest answer.

As for the card, I'd pay $300 max. I'd be super happy if I walked away with it for $250.

yeah..i mean going for the low ball offer is great for you but kinda seems like a dick move to me. I know its a hard world out there but try to go for $300 maybe $275...

4 minutes ago, NowThatsDamp said:

Just a negotiating tip, NEVER go in and ask a guy straight away what his lowest dollar is. It comes off as super disrespectful and is more likely to get the seller annoyed than giving am honest answer.

As for the card, I'd pay $300 max. I'd be super happy if I walked away with it for $250.

1 minute ago, Dang3r D3bbi3 said:

yeah..i mean going for the low ball offer is great for you but kinda seems like a dick move to me. I know its a hard world out there but try to go for $300 maybe $275...

Well, its not lowballing if he is asking obnoxious amount of money for it .... 350$ for 980ti? are you kidding me? You can get brand new aftermarket 1070 for that price... 

So asking less than 250$ is absolutelly fair

ASUS Maximus VII Hero | i7 4790K OC 4.8GHZ | 4x8GB 2400MHz MSI GTX 1070 alphacool eiswolf gpx pro
Samsung 850 EVO 520GB + Corsair 525gb + 275gb SSD  2TB Seagate Barracuda | 8TB Seagate Archive

Cooler Master HAF-X 942 | EVGA Supernova 1000W 80+ Platinum | Custom watercooling loop (gpu+cpu)

Just now, bughtoo said:

Well, its not lowballing if he is asking obnoxious amount of money for it .... 350$ for 980ti? are you kidding me? You can get brand new aftermarket 1070 for that price... 

So asking less than 250$ is absolutelly fair

$350 for a 1070 where you getting yours?? Just looked on PC part picker and lowest 1070 is $447.89 

If it has a warranty still, that may be why he's asking so much..

If it does not have any warranty left, I'd steer clear anyway.

(I only buy used with warranty left as it gives some small protection against potential future failure)

But it makes my pickings slim too...

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Just now, Dang3r D3bbi3 said:

$350 for a 1070 where you getting yours?? Just looked on PC part picker and lowest 1070 is $447.89 

Who said it had to be from a store to be brand new ;) 

Just so u know, thats in the classifieds.... 250$....

2 minutes ago, bughtoo said:

Who said it had to be from a store to be brand new ;) 

BOI HMU

Just now, Dang3r D3bbi3 said:

BOI HMU

I dont know if you wouldnt overpay with the shipping costs from europe to usa :-/ 

2 minutes ago, Dang3r D3bbi3 said:

the nearest micro center to me has a new 1070 Asus dual for 429.99. but that's new, and white...

4 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

If it has a warranty still, that may be why he's asking so much..

If it does not have any warranty left, I'd steer clear anyway.

(I only buy used with warranty left as it gives some small protection against potential future failure)

But it makes my pickings slim too...

I would doubt it has a warranty, it looks like he has just the card, no boxes or anything

Just now, wdodge0912 said:

the nearest micro center to me has a new 1070 Asus dual for 429.99. but that's new, and white...

I would doubt it has a warranty, it looks like he has just the card, no boxes or anything

hree u go sorry for repost, no seemed to notice the comment, u dont even have to look further than linus tech tips forum for 250$ one

Just now, bughtoo said:

hree u go sorry for repost, no seemed to notice the comment, u dont even have to look further than linus tech tips forum for 250$ one

I saw it, didn't have a reply thought up yet :P

he emailed back saying he's gotten several inquires, but can't accept much less for the card.

i was thinking of emailing him back saying I found a few other cards for $250 plus shipping, but would rather buy it locally for like $275 and see it work before i bought it, and not have to wait for it in the mail.

Just now, wdodge0912 said:

I saw it, didn't have a reply thought up yet :P

he emailed back saying he's gotten several inquires, but can't accept much less for the card.

i was thinking of emailing him back saying I found a few other cards for $250 plus shipping, but would rather buy it locally for like $275 and see it work before i bought it, and not have to wait for it in the mail.

yeah jsut so you know it happenes that 1080 is sometimes also selling for 350$ 

Dont go over 275$ if you really want the 980ti thats my advice, even though i still  think 275$ is a little to much for it.

4 minutes ago, bughtoo said:

yeah jsut so you know it happenes that 1080 is sometimes also selling for 350$ 

Dont go over 275$ if you really want the 980ti thats my advice, even though i still  think 275$ is a little to much for it.

i might change up those numbers, maybe $225 and $265. 

not sure i should mention the 1080 there. 

I really am just looking for a good deal right now, it's not like I'm hurting for a card at the moment, but I do wanna upgrade from my RX 470

9 minutes ago, wdodge0912 said:

i might change up those numbers, maybe $225 and $265. 

not sure i should mention the 1080 there. 

I really am just looking for a good deal right now, it's not like I'm hurting for a card at the moment, but I do wanna upgrade from my RX 470

totally understandable, keep looking i would say (leave that 350$ guy be)

33 minutes ago, bughtoo said:

totally understandable, keep looking i would say (leave that 350$ guy be)

I'll still email him and see what he says, but i'm not gonna pay over $275 for it. not much around me that isn't overpriced (custom built computers with the same CPU i have with a 1050ti and half the ram for $1300, i built my machine for like 800)

I might throw my card + cash up for trade here, being that it's an RX 470 that hasn't been mined with. not sure if i meet the requirements to be allowed to post in the classifieds though

6 hours ago, wdodge0912 said:

I'll still email him and see what he says, but i'm not gonna pay over $275 for it. not much around me that isn't overpriced (custom built computers with the same CPU i have with a 1050ti and half the ram for $1300, i built my machine for like 800)

I might throw my card + cash up for trade here, being that it's an RX 470 that hasn't been mined with. not sure if i meet the requirements to be allowed to post in the classifieds though

anyone can as long as you include a picture with the product and handwritten note with your name and date. Then its up to you and the buyer what way you would take, best way is paypal because you are both protected by paypal, as long as you make an invoice with all information, like postage, returns, warranty, description of the item, price, adress etc etc etc, everything that can be used against you if you dont include it basically. I bought a LOT of things also through classifieds here and everytime i made a thorough invoice and when the item didnt come, or the seller started to be a little sketchy i issued a return of the money and i got them everytime when i didnt recieve the item, or i returned it and recieved the money back etc etc.

7 hours ago, NowThatsDamp said:

Yah. I got my MSI 980 Ti Gaming 6G (what a title!) for $300, clean and new looking from a really nice guy. I'd offer him $300, so it's a decent deal on both ends. It's a great card, I get about 90 fps on ultra 1080p in EA's Battlefront. And I only have an i5 2400, which is a weak-sauce CPU to use with a 980 Ti. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

In regards to the original asking price, it does seem a little high but the crypto market does throw a few things off.  I wouldn't blame the seller for thinking his 980ti was worth that much because it's either his first time selling or he knows the market well enough where somebody 'might' pay that much for that.

You could come in with your best offer though.  I think your method of checking what other sellers are letting it go at is fair.  You don't have to play mind games, just say "hey, would you do $250?", and see if he can hold a conversation or throw a counter offer.  Why try to do further business with somebody who just isn't gonna play nice?

Wouldn't use Scrapyard wars as your metric tho.  They were in a 980ti gold mine locally speaking.