150-200 USD Closed Headphones

YedZed

Hey guys, was wondering what kind of cllosed back over-ear headphones I could get for $150-$200.

I wouldn't say I'm an audiophile (as I usually don't spend much on this sort of this) but I do appreciate good sound. I'd have bought the Massdrop HDXXs but, alas, they are open backed, and I need closed back. And I want over-ear because I want comfort. Also, I would like breathability, as I kinda get hot if its not. So what are my best options?

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

Just now, Gungpae said:

A DT770 would also be a good choice.

4 minutes ago, YedZed said:

And I want over-ear because I want comfort. Also, I would like breathability, as I kinda get hot if its not.

So why would you want closed back headphones.Aren't open backed ones more breatheable

My life

Just now, Himommies said:

So why would you want closed back headphones.Aren't open backed ones more breatheable

While you are right, the reason I need closed back is that my family wouldn't react too well to being able to hear everything I listen to. Not too fond of that sort of thing unfortunately. 

Also I don't have an amp. And I don't want to have to need one.

Just now, YedZed said:

While you are right, the reason I need closed back is that my family wouldn't react too well to being able to hear everything I listen to. Not too fond of that sort of thing unfortunately. 

I would say the DT770's are a bit more comfortable than the HD 598's.You could alos get the M50x's which are comfortable as hell

My life

3 minutes ago, Gungpae said:
1 minute ago, Himommies said:

A DT770 would also be a good choice.

I have the 598C's. Theyre not fantastic, especially when comparing to open back 518's or HD6xx's... The DT770's might be better though

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Just now, YedZed said:

Also I don't have an amp. And I don't want to have to need one.

M50X's

My life

Thanks guys. Any more thoughts?

Would i get any better by moving up to 200?

7 minutes ago, YedZed said:

Would i get any better by moving up to 200?

The next noticeable gap IMO is 350+

My life

Something to note about the dt770 pro, even though they are closed back, they do leak sound. Especially if listening to louder music. They don't leak as much as open back, but enough to where my gf can hear what I'm listening to if we're in the same room. You might want to test them out with someone else and see what you think. 

They are extremely comfy though and have a great sound signature (imo).

I have the 80ohm version and have zero trouble powering them with an old ipod, phone, or computer. 

2 minutes ago, DaftPansy said:

I have the 80ohm version and have zero trouble powering them with an old ipod, phone, or computer. 

Thanks for the tip! 

On that note, should I consider the 250 ohm one? As I understand, that will make it harder to drive. Will I need an amp then or might they still work with lower power devices?

2 minutes ago, YedZed said:

Thanks for the tip! 

On that note, should I consider the 250 ohm one? As I understand, that will make it harder to drive. Will I need an amp then or might they still work with lower power devices?

I fairly sure you'll need an amp for the 250ohm version. But iirc, there isn't that much of a difference in the sound quality between the two. For some reason, I'm vaguely remembering that the 80ohm version had slightly more bass than the others giving it a really nice V curve if you're into that signature. Not overpowering bass. Very tight, accurate, and fun to listen to. 

1 minute ago, DaftPansy said:

I fairly sure you'll need an amp for the 250ohm version. But iirc, there isn't that much of a difference in the sound quality between the two. For some reason, I'm vaguely remembering that the 80ohm version had slightly more bass than the others giving it a really nice V curve if you're into that signature. Not overpowering bass. Very tight, accurate, and fun to listen to. 

So what do you think I should do if it comes to it? 

12 minutes ago, YedZed said:

So what do you think I should do if it comes to it? 

It all comes down to personal preference.

I wouldn't wear my dt770s for public transportation or at work because everyone near me would hear. But for at home use, they are perfect. And they're the most comfortable headphones I've ever put on. The velour ear pads also might be why the sound leaks, but the comfort is unmatched. 

Between the 80ohm and 250ohm, I would choose the 80ohm every time because you don't need an amp to drive and the little extra bass. But i could see someone who plays fps games using the 250ohm because they have slightly more pronounced highs. 80ohm definitely wins for music. 

Oh, I should mention the cord is hella long. So you'll need to keep it coiled up for mobile use. 

10 hours ago, Himommies said:

M50X's suck ass 

Fixed it for you. 

They do basically nothing well and are not close to being worth their price. Plus the pads wear down super fast 

7 hours ago, DaftPansy said:

Stop,  go read up on this. 

7 hours ago, YedZed said:

Thanks for the tip! 

No they are actually not harder to drive,  the 80 and 250 version uses about the same power, the only difference is that your mobo can most likely output more at 80 ohm Vs 250ohm, but there are also amps that can output more at 250 ohm than 80 ohm and if your onboard is just decent then it wouldn't have any problems with powering 250 ohm DT 770s. Though if you like your HD6xx a lot then I would look at AKG k553 or K550 mkii, but you need to get a good seal with them or else they are rather bad. 

Also is this what happens when I go away for a longer period? 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

I'm looking for headsets around the same price and went with the Sennheiser G4ME ZERO. Not sure how it will sound but I'm crossing my fingers that I don't have to return it. Will get back to your tomorrow.

• CPU = i7 5930k
  • Cooler = Corsair H100i
  • RAM = Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4-2666
  • Storage = Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
  • GPU = EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3
  • PSU = Corsair 750D
  • PSU = Corsair 1000W
  • Monitor = Asus PG278Q

5 hours ago, Dackzy said:

Though if you like your HD6xx a lot 

I never actually had them

5 hours ago, Dackzy said:

No they are actually not harder to drive,  the 80 and 250 version uses about the same power, the only difference is that your mobo can most likely output more at 80 ohm Vs 250ohm, but there are also amps that can output more at 250 ohm than 80 ohm and if your onboard is just decent then it wouldn't have any problems with powering 250 ohm DT 770s.

So, how would I figure out if my mobo audio is decent?

25 minutes ago, YedZed said:

So, how would I figure out if my mobo audio is decent?

What mobo do you have? 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Just now, Dackzy said:

What mobo do you have? 

GA-H170M-DS3H I believe

4 minutes ago, YedZed said:

GA-H170M-DS3H I believe

The onboard on that is on the lower side of things, though I have seen some phones that have pushed 250 ohm 770s to around 80-85dB. I would say the chance of it having enough power is 70%. Though a cheap little combo like the fulla 2 wouldn't hurt at all. 

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

The onboard on that is on the lower side of things, though I have seen some phones that have pushed 250 ohm 770s to around 80-85dB. I would say the chance of it having enough power is 70%. Though a cheap little combo like the fulla 2 wouldn't hurt at all. 

Eh, not really down to spend more on an amp.

1 minute ago, YedZed said:

Eh, not really down to spend more on an amp.

Fair enough. If you want to be almost 100% sure that you can power the headphone then get the 80 ohm version,  since your mobo has more power down in the lower impedance ratings or get the K553 or K550 mkii.