USB-C Portable Charger

Daniel0898

I bought this Portable USB-C charger    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071DW9CP5/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got it for my Dell XPS 13 and so far I can't get it to work. I reinstalled all of the drivers for thunderbolt and I got nothing..

If anyone has a solution I'd really appreciate the help.

Thanks in advance! 

The USB C on the charger isn't for charging the battery. Your Dell XPS 13 is not the new Apple MacBook Pro.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

7 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

The USB C on the charger isn't for charging the battery. Your Dell XPS 13 is not the new Apple MacBook Pro.

It can be charged via its USB C port but it needs to be +/- 1V than 19.45V and 2.31A or higher. I doubt you'll find a portable charger beside Dell's options that'll be that powerful. Here are Dell's options:

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/accessories/apd/451-bbvq?ref=192_recs_ttl&c=us&l=en&cs=04

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/accessories/apd/451-bcbe?ref=192_recs_ttl&c=us&l=en&cs=04

3 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

It can be charged via its USB C port but it needs to be +/- 1V than 19.45V and 2.31A or higher. I doubt you'll find a portable charger beside Dell's options that'll be that powerful. Here are Dell's options:

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/accessories/apd/451-bbvq?ref=192_recs_ttl&c=us&l=en&cs=04

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/accessories/apd/451-bcbe?ref=192_recs_ttl&c=us&l=en&cs=04

*Please note that a Dell power adapter is required for charging the Power Companion (not included in the box).

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

25 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

You can charge through usb-c. I made sure of that before I ordered the portable charger lol

6 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

Thank you for the info

1 minute ago, NumLock21 said:

*Please note that a Dell power adapter is required for charging the Power Companion (not included in the box).

The power adaptor comes with the laptop. OP will just have to charge the portable one separately unless he/she gets the Hybrid adaptor

1 minute ago, SCGazelle said:

The power adaptor comes with the laptop. OP will just have to charge the portable one separately unless he/she gets the Hybrid adaptor

hybrid as in those with a AC outlet built in. That would be the better option.

Now this one is pretty awesome

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875890093&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=battery_bank-_-75-890-093-_-Product

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

hybrid as in those with a AC outlet built in. That would be the better option.

Now this one is pretty awesome

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875890093&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=battery_bank-_-75-890-093-_-Product

except that it has the same problem as the one in OP's post. Ironically, it's not powerful enough

Just now, SCGazelle said:

except that it has the same problem as the one in OP's post. Ironically, it's not powerful enough

Wasn't thinking of OP's problem when I posted that link. Just sharing this awesome battery bank I found on Newegg. :D

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

1 minute ago, SCGazelle said:

that really sucks that I need a specific power output.... As long as it has a 2 amp or so output shouldn't it be enough to gain charge?? I wish I could bypass this somehow..

Wasn't thinking of OP's problem when I posted that link. Just sharing this awesome battery bank I found on Newegg. :D

That was a dope charger xD

3 minutes ago, Daniel0898 said:

that really sucks that I need a specific power output.... As long as it has a 2 amp or so output shouldn't it be enough to gain charge?? I wish I could bypass this somehow..

The thing is, those are usually only 5v. Enough for phones but not quite enough for a laptop. You would want something around a 20v charger

39 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

The thing is, those are usually only 5v. Enough for phones but not quite enough for a laptop. You would want something around a 20v charger

Correct me if I'm wrong but the portable charger has a 2 amp output, isn't that around 20 volts? Idk maybe I'm wrong I don't know a lot about batteries and whatnot.

amps and volts are 2 seperate things.

Amps - the amount of power going from the charger to the phone. So if we measured how much power is going through the type c connector it'd be 2 amps.

Volts - How fast the power is going from the charger to the phone. If power were a ball, amperage would be how big the ball is and voltage would be how fast it is going.

Wattage - amps times voltage times amperage. So a 20v 2amp charger would be 40w.

I don't know much about this, I gathered this info from a quick research years ago so I could be very wrong but that is my understanding of it.

3 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

Amps - the amount of power going from the charger to the phone. So if we measured how much power is going through the type c connector it'd be 2 amps.

Volts - How fast the power is going from the charger to the phone. If power were a ball, amperage would be how big the ball is and voltage would be how fast it is going.

Wattage - amps times voltage times amperage. So a 20v 2amp charger would be 40w.

I don't know much about this, I gathered this info from a quick research years ago so I could be very wrong but that is my understanding of it.

oh so it's not that it doesn't have enough power it's just that it's not getting there quick enough....

8 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

So would something like this work?? https://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-Portable-26800mAh-Recharged-Nintendo/dp/B01LRQDAEI

6 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

It's closer but not quite. It's 20v which is perfect but it is only 1.5 amps. You want it to be 20v and 2.35+amps.

So basically what you're saying is I'm not gonna find a portable charger that works with my laptop? Cause if that does't work idk what will

15 minutes ago, Daniel0898 said:

So basically what you're saying is I'm not gonna find a portable charger that works with my laptop? Cause if that does't work idk what will

yeah, i don't think there's anything but what Dell has

4 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

yeah, i don't think there's anything but what Dell has

That really sucks

7 minutes ago, Daniel0898 said:

Or i could always go for this too I guess https://www.amazon.com/Portable-RAVPower-27000mAh-Universal-Smartphone/dp/B01LCFS9S6 

It's pricey and overkill but it would do the trick.