Need help/tips for fixed wireless installation!

MusicMayne

My internet speed (Frontier DSL) is getting slower by the year and the only alternative is satellite.  Earlier this year I heard about fixed wireless but never really searched into it much.

Now reading up some on the subject, the next problem is I'm 500-600ft of receiving 3g/4g signal which is on the very tip top of the hill behind my house.  However the signal strength is a solid 3 bars.

So I'm wondering - is it possible to mount an antenna on the top w/ amplifier then attach the necessary amount of fiber optic cable finally running it down to the house would work?Antenna.png.88c42785a6d05829cf2c076fa65a7b55.png

the longer the cable run to the antenna is, the more signal degradation you are going to have. Suggest leaving the 4G modem where the amplifier is, and using Fiber (or Ethernet) to get the internet into the house....this would probably need a power cable to be run there too

Your going to be using LOS  which can see disruption during weather like rain or fog. You "might" get speeds around 30mbps (not much faster than DSL. Your also likely to pay more than other methods.

17 minutes ago, BubblyCharizard said:

the longer the cable run to the antenna is, the more signal degradation you are going to have. Suggest leaving the 4G modem where the amplifier is, and using Fiber (or Ethernet) to get the internet into the house....this would probably need a power cable to be run there too

Where would be a good spot for an amplifier?  And what would be better fiber optic or ethernet?  Thanks for the help

19 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

Your going to be using LOS  which can see disruption during weather like rain or fog. You "might" get speeds around 30mbps (not much faster than DSL. Your also likely to pay more than other methods.

My DSL speed is supposed to be 1 meg down and .25 up.  At the time of righting this is .15 of a meg down and .17 upload. (yes upload is higher and DL)   Also what does LOS mean?  I'm a newbie!   Thanks for the help

1 minute ago, MusicMayne said:

Where would be a good spot for an amplifier?  And what would be better fiber optic or ethernet?  Thanks for the help

My DSL speed is supposed to be 1 meg down and .25 up.  At the time of righting this is .15 of a meg down and .17 upload. (yes upload is higher and DL)   Also what does LOS mean?  I'm a newbie!   Thanks for the help

Okay so with speeds the one question I have is, ae you using an Ethernet cable or wireless modem, and LOS means line of sight. You would get your internet VIA radioo waves so it would be like LTE except for your computer. That's why BubblyCharizardB was saying that you wanna have that antenna outside the house with fiber or Ethernet running to your modem and amplifier. As for Ethernet vs fiber, Ethernet is slower but fiber is a lot more expensive and breaks easier (uses glass as light pulses travel the info around. Fiber is also more complex as it requires media converters for the signal. (i.e. You get the wireless signal from the radio tower which goes through a converter to get it through the fiber cable then back again once it hits the modem. I honestly would recommended just getting a very good Ethernet cable. You wont be pulling enough data to really need that fiber run.

5 minutes ago, MusicMayne said:

I'd try to keep the cable run as short as possible for the modem installation, if the cable run is only ~400 feet cat6 might work well enough for the speeds of a LTE/HSPA+ connection

5 minutes ago, MusicMayne said:

LOS is line of sight - in wireless, generally having LOS results in better connections

10 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

Okay so with speeds the one question I have is, ae you using an Ethernet cable or wireless modem, and LOS means line of sight. You would get your internet VIA radioo waves so it would be like LTE except for your computer. That's why BubblyCharizardB was saying that you wanna have that antenna outside the house with fiber or Ethernet running to your modem and amplifier. As for Ethernet vs fiber, Ethernet is slower but fiber is a lot more expensive and breaks easier (uses glass as light pulses travel the info around. Fiber is also more complex as it requires media converters for the signal. (i.e. You get the wireless signal from the radio tower which goes through a converter to get it through the fiber cable then back again once it hits the modem. I honestly would recommended just getting a very good Ethernet cable. You wont be pulling enough data to really need that fiber run.

2 computers, 1 wired and 1 wireless but only 1 is on at any given time due to speeds.  Also the speeds on wired is .2 down and .2 up.

The main issue with my internet is congestion and old copper wires.

Fixed wireless might be a solution but I need to save up the money and buy the correct parts to get this up and going - I'm just getting my feet wet learning the ins and outs.   But I appreciate y'alls feedback!

2 minutes ago, MusicMayne said:

2 computers, 1 wired and 1 wireless but only 1 is on at any given time due to speeds.  Also the speeds on wired is .2 down and .2 up.

The main issue with my internet is congestion and old copper wires.

Fixed wireless might be a solution but I need to save up the money and buy the correct parts to get this up and going - I'm just getting my feet wet learning the ins and outs.   But I appreciate y'alls feedback!

If you talk to a company about getting Fixed Wireless if you go with a (most likely) 2 year contract they will likely install everything for you. Check that out first.

44 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

If you talk to a company about getting Fixed Wireless if you go with a (most likely) 2 year contract they will likely install everything for you. Check that out first.

I will look around.

In the meantime I will still study up just in case.

Still clueless if an amp is needed or not

Antenna 2.png

Okay that situation from what I can tell, the guy is not getting a good wireless signal to their house. So there putting a modem where they can get a better signal. The cord is 500-600ft. so they are putting an Amp to make sure the signal stays strong all the way to the house. That's the point of an Amp, to keep the signal strong. Once the signal hits the antenna it can be a good idea to put an Amp or two inside your house depending on its size. With my computers I like a direct computer connection so I would have a direct connection from a switch to the antenna then run Ethernet to whatever computers I happen to be using.

10 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

Okay that situation from what I can tell, the guy is not getting a good wireless signal to their house. So there putting a modem where they can get a better signal. The cord is 500-600ft. so they are putting an Amp to make sure the signal stays strong all the way to the house. That's the point of an Amp, to keep the signal strong. Once the signal hits the antenna it can be a good idea to put an Amp or two inside your house depending on its size. With my computers I like a direct computer connection so I would have a direct connection from a switch to the antenna then run Ethernet to whatever computers I happen to be using.

You are correct, no signal unless at the top of the hill.   Should there be just 1 antenna? One at the top of hill and one outside the house. (view picture in above post)

As for the amplifiers - do you recommend just 1 at the house or should they be multiple? (1 inside house and 1 halfway of hill?)  What amp do you recommend?

The picture is what I was planning with tips from you guys (antenna & modem together).

I don't know if this will even work, but (.15-.25 download speeds and upload speeds) must go.

20 minutes ago, MusicMayne said:

You are correct, no signal unless at the top of the hill.   Should there be just 1 antenna? One at the top of hill and one outside the house. (view picture in above post)

As for the amplifiers - do you recommend just 1 at the house or should they be multiple? (1 inside house and 1 halfway of hill?)  What amp do you recommend?

The picture is what I was planning with tips from you guys (antenna & modem together).

I don't know if this will even work, but (.15-.25 download speeds and upload speeds) must go.

Okay in your case I would look at getting fiber installed. Have them (a company who runs fiber) run it from the antenna from the top of the hill down to your house and inside to a modem/ wireless access point. Then use something like a phone or laptop to test the signal around the house and if your getting drop offs in a certain room place a booster or two to get the signal coverage better.  I also recommended running Ethernet (yourself) from that access point in your house to nay computer that will stay stationary.

23 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

Okay in your case I would look at getting fiber installed. Have them (a company who runs fiber) run it from the antenna from the top of the hill down to your house and inside to a modem/ wireless access point. Then use something like a phone or laptop to test the signal around the house and if your getting drop offs in a certain room place a booster or two to get the signal coverage better.  I also recommended running Ethernet (yourself) from that access point in your house to nay computer that will stay stationary.

Thanks for the reply!

Now my only concern is the equipment.

What antenna & booster would you recommend for my situation?