Did vega flop

Helix_Exton

At this point after seeing performance equal to their counterparts 18 months after their release at much higher power usage did vega flop?

maybe, then in 3 years see vega 64 beat out a 1080ti!

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

The 56 no, the 64 yes unless you are doing compute. The major problem is Volta will be here in 6-8 months then AMD will be right back to where they were a week ago. Nvidia will be right back on top because there is no way AMD will have new cards ready in 6 months.

Just now, themctipers said:

maybe, then in 3 years see vega 64 beat out a 1080ti!

But what about a gtx 2180?

Just now, Helix_Exton said:

But what about a gtx 2180?

1180 ~= 1080ti because in the past GPU perf went something like this:

nvidias highest end -> second highest end -> mid ranged -> low end

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

I agree but vega is gonna get destroyed by Volta.

Just now, Helix_Exton said:

I agree but vega is gonna get destroyed by Volta.

poor volta vega

wait and see, only thing you can do.

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

We haven't even seen a price drop yet from Nvidia on their cards and we're already discussing whether it's a flop or not. 

If you're the owner of a high resolution, high refresh-rate freesync monitor, you're probably not going to shell out another $5-600 for a comparable gsync monitor so you'll buy a Vega GPU. 

For literally any other buyer, the comparable Nvidia card makes more sense.

Some reviewers take this non-augmentative point to say 'buy the card for which is better for the games you play' but, I've never once heard someone make a $500 purchase decision based on something as irrelevant as which card could push 15% more FPS in a specific title. 

having more games than you have time to play them has been a meme for as long as I've been a PC gamer. 

Are there any 1070's available for under $399? No, then Vega did not flop and will secure a share of the market that is price sensitive and just wants a card that comes close to the 1070 without needing to surpass it. As an AMD fanboy, that's my basic philosophy towards all AMD products, if it's affordable and close to the target that's all that matters. I don't need the fastest of anything. If I ever win the lotto then my philosophy would change.

1 hour ago, themctipers said:

ya but the last two gens they had the pleasure to increase clock speeds by 50%

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Just now, DXMember said:

ya but the last two gens they had the pleasure to increase clock speeds by 50%

damn you 1.04v voltage limit!

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

damn you 1.04v voltage limit!

either go big on SMX or go home at this point

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

Just now, DXMember said:

either go big on SMX or go home at this point

damn you 8 pin and 150w :(

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

7 minutes ago, themctipers said:

damn you 8 pin and 150w :(

absolutely

1 hour ago, Patrick3D said:

Are there any 1070's available for under $399? No, then Vega did not flop and will secure a share of the market that is price sensitive and just wants a card that comes close to the 1070 without needing to surpass it. As an AMD fanboy, that's my basic philosophy towards all AMD products, if it's affordable and close to the target that's all that matters. I don't need the fastest of anything. If I ever win the lotto then my philosophy would change.

Yes i agree. And on top of that I want to hold the Freesynch option free for me. Also I use Eyefinity. I used NVSurround too, but the lack of output on boot was annoying and the driver went crazy on me multiple times with it turned on. 

Classic software issues(both sides :D )... and I want to support AMD^^

If I would win the lotto I would still not buy the overkill stuff. In fact this would be the first time to invest into a high end GPU as I plan to keep it a looong time.

But only custom cards... I want to try Sapphire this time. I had Gigabyte, MSI and Asus cards. I always run into issues. I even had Gigabyte GPU in for warranty repair^^ they really pushed it, almost 6 months repair... (I ran a GT 640 "Sparkle" instead of my 7870)

9 of 10 voices in my mind say I'm crazy. The tenth hums the melody of Tetris.

I know it might be a drivers issue, but has anyone noticed that vega 64 actually performs WORSE in almost every dx12 application compared to gtx 1080 (according to guru3d data)? I can see why someone would buy a vega 56 since it is actually better than a 1070, but the vega 64 seems kind of pointless... like why would i buy a 450w card over a 1080 which basically performs the same (which will most likely get a price cut?). It seems more of a novelty item tbh

Yes, but there is official explanation available:

1. Immature drivers

2. Developers need to support Vega

3. It would work better with Ryzen

4. Wait for Navi

5. Wait for Zen2

6. Wait for more DX12 and Vulkan game where Vega will show its power

7. FineWine (it will beat GTX 1080 Ti in 2025)

8. Power limit

9. ROP bottleneck

10. Exclusive Vega features like Rapid Packed Math (excepted support on PC: 3 games per decade)

11. Power draw doesn't matter (or only matters if AMD is more power efficient)

12. It doesn't matter that Volta is few months away and Vega value will be reduced by half in less than 6 months

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6900K 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: X99 Sabertooth | GPU: RTX 2080 Ti SLi | RAM: 32GB DDR4-3400 CL13 | SSD: SX8200 PRO 512GB | PSU: Corsair AX1600i | Case: InWin 805C | Monitor: LG 38UC99-W 85Hz | Keyboard: Wooting One Analog | Keypad: Azeron Compact Analog | Mouse: Swiftpoint Z | Audio: Klipsch Reference 5.1

Well if it undervolts as well as GamersNexus cards that power draw should be decreased a lot plus having chill and a FrameRateTarget set, but is does not matter if you need 100% of the GPU tho(only undervolting then). 

But true, it looks super bad. Gives me hard time supporting AMD here^^ 

It is Fury on drugs.

I heared top Volta has AI-Circuitry? I believe they strip that from the consumer. Actually I really wonder why they would not refresh Pascal and set Volta for top lineup... chances that actually happens ha?

9 of 10 voices in my mind say I'm crazy. The tenth hums the melody of Tetris.

Yea, a bit disappointing mostly for the wait.

If you take the vega 56, its actually pretty good card for 399.

And even better when custom cards like Red Devil from PowerColor start hitting the market, I expect easily 10% over the reference card.

Feel bad for those that passed up the GTX 1070 pre-mining prices in hopes that Vega would launch and be decent, especially since the 1070 could hit as low as $330.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

I would say that because there are many people with FreeSync monitors that want a powerful AMD card to use them with, Vega is not a flop. However, Vega is riding very close to the line, IMO.

I have a GTX 1070 with a 75 hz FreeSync monitor that frame-skips above 60 hz with an Nvidia card (I still run it at 75 hz instead of 60 hz, anyway). I'm pretty desperate to have a powerful AMD GPU, but the power consumption and heat of Vega is seriously giving me misgivings about getting it - and that's *if* Vega is available for a reasonable price (as in, equal or less than a GTX 1080).

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2017 at 1:28 PM, Patrick3D said:

the sales immediately shot up to $600 dollars and over though...

Vega is dumb.  Why didn't they just make an extra large Polaris chip???  They could have launched it 9 months ago and been competitive while avoiding HBM2 which is not at all worth the price or delay.  Vega architecture might be great for HPC market, but it's too much innovation for gamers.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

• 1 month later...
On 8/14/2017 at 9:28 PM, Patrick3D said:

yes, there were, alot, but cuz of ether mining prices went to $400+ the vega is still not bad though

AMD always has a problem with drivers at launch. I wouldn't be surprised if the Vega 64 is equal to the 1080ti with properly optimized drivers. 

The other problems is that they have nowhere near enough production capacity to supply the demand. And this results in less overall demand since people know they aren't going to get one soon. 

And they've yet to replace Polaris with Vega 10 or whatever it's gonna be called. 

Besides, Volta should be out in late q1/q2 of 2018, so they still have time. 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads.