What router should I get?

paps511

I just got an apartment and the most important thing I need is internet. Because I am in my mid-twenties.

I am 99% sure I am getting verizon fios 100/100, but what router should I get?

Router will probably be on the first floor, my main computer on the second. Plus the router needs to cut through a bunch of other signals.

Budget is "reasonable". So not that $500+ alien looking thing

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Mobo:  Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 32GB 2133 Storage #1: 1TB 850 EVO SSD Storage #2: Western Digital Black 2TB Storage #3: Western Digital Green 4TB GPU: Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Case: Mastercase5 PSU: EVGA 750 W G2 80+Gold Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite Monitor: LG 34UM94 Headset: Bose

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9

Verizon will provide you with a router/gateway device but from there you can plug in your own router. Just have them turn off the wireless on their box so it doesn't cause problems with yours.

The Archer C7 is a great router, a few different models to choose from based on budget but something like this should work well:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PDLRHFW

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Archer C7 is definitely a good choice. If you have the extra coin the C9 is better but C7 is better cost:performance. Tell Verizon you want to use RJ45 from their ONT box and plug it straight into the router.

God I miss FiOS :'(

46 minutes ago, paps511 said:

I just got an apartment and the most important thing I need is internet. Because I am in my mid-twenties.

I am 99% sure I am getting verizon fios 100/100, but what router should I get?

Router will probably be on the first floor, my main computer on the second. Plus the router needs to cut through a bunch of other signals.

Budget is "reasonable". So not that $500+ alien looking thing

If you have a lot of routers around, then you need to make sure your computer has a 5Ghz wireless card in it, and use 5Ghz. If your getting TV service you have to use the Verizon router from my understanding, however, Id like to say at a certain speed tier they will automatically enable Ethernet on the ONT, I forget what speed that is. 

If push comes to shove, just use the Verizon router, Disable wireless and get a Ubiquiti AP for your wireless. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I have this pcie card

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007GMPZ0A/

I bought it 2 years ago and has served me well. Not above upgrading it though

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Mobo:  Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 32GB 2133 Storage #1: 1TB 850 EVO SSD Storage #2: Western Digital Black 2TB Storage #3: Western Digital Green 4TB GPU: Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Case: Mastercase5 PSU: EVGA 750 W G2 80+Gold Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite Monitor: LG 34UM94 Headset: Bose

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9

7 minutes ago, paps511 said:

I have this pcie card

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007GMPZ0A/

I bought it 2 years ago and has served me well. Not above upgrading it though

I have that card as well. Its a dual band card. So Id go with a dual band router or AP depending on how Verizon installs your service. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.