Worth getting a PS3 today?

Gdourado

Hello, how are you?

I have been a PC gamer for years.

I haven't had a console since the PS2 days.

I love games and lately I have been toying with the idea of picking up a PS3 and some of the exclusives.

I was thinking about playing the old HD remasters like the DMC and Jak series, God of war and such.

Also, some exclusives like the Killzone series, resistance, uncharted, ratchet...

My question if it it is worth it to do today?

Or beeing used to PC gaming, will the PS3 just be gathering dust?

Have the games held up? Or are they just too dated today?

What's your input?

Cheers!

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

how cheap would you be able to get a PS3?

Around 60 euros for the console slim 160gb with one original controller.

I recently bought one for 67 dollars, 120 gb with a controller and GTA IV, didn't think I would spend much money on it and ended up spending about 200 dollars on it already bought a shit load of games that I always wanted to play but never came to pc. I would say yes, but I am realizing this now that it might be a waste if you don't have time. You can't hop in and out, the system and the ui (with the default 5200 rpm hdd) is very slow and the wireless chip is capable of 1 mbps max. So yea, worth it but very time consuming and a bit outdated

before i went to pc gaming as a secondary option i had a ps3 since 2011 and theyre worth ur money also i had to buy another ps3 slim for me since my sister wanted to take the ps3 slim we shared but i mostly played and now we have 2 ps3 slims.  Fast forward 3 years and now i have a fat ps3 and its the og november 2006 60 gig model with  a sd card reader and software 3.70 which i plan to downgrade and jailbreak it too.

I think it's a great time to get a PS3 considering how cheap games are. At least they're unbelievably cheap in the US through the Playstation Store and Gamestop. I just bought four PS3 games for $10 the week before last in one of Gamestop's sales. Not crap games either, great games like The Last of Us, Uncharted 1-3, Metal Gear Solid 4, Killzone 2 & 3, Heavenly Sword, God of War III, and a bunch of other top games on the system. I have played the hell out of my PS3 since buying it in January and the vast majority of the games I bought (all either PS3 exclusive or only on console) have been $5 or less.

Well, i think it is.

I picked up mine 3 years ago, just to use it as a Blu-ray player, but in the end i hoarded a few games that i never played on it (such as the GoW series, The Last of Us, Gran Turismo 5 and 6, Killzone, Uncharted...) and now i'm enjoying it quite a lot!

I think that if you can get it for cheap, it would be worth it.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

But like i said yesterday, i'm not a big fan of the PS3's stock controllers, they are so flimsy and cramped, i would advice you to get something better.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

17 minutes ago, Chevy_Monsenhor said:

Well, i think it is.

I picked up mine 3 years ago, just to use it as a Blu-ray player, but in the end i hoarded a few games that i never played on it (such as the GoW series, The Last of Us, Gran Turismo 5 and 6, Killzone, Uncharted...) and now i'm enjoying it quite a lot!

I think that if you can get it for cheap, it would be worth it.

Similar story here, though I bought my PS3 originally just to play Demon's Souls and Okami. But the games are so cheap and it has so many exclusives that I missed as a 360 and then PC gamer. I never bought the system intending to load up on games, but with so much good shit for so cheap there was no way I was going to resist. Sadly the Playstation Store deals on PS3 have been pretty crappy for a month now after being amazing for all of 2017 until then. I hope Sony hasn't given up on all the $5 and below PS3 hits.

Do it man! You have access to a great  library of amazing games with a PS3 for a very very low price. Very worth your time IMO

#BudgetMasterRace

CPU: Pentium G4560  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050 OC  RAM: 8GB DDR4 2400mhz  CASE: NZXT S340  POWER SUPPLY: EVGA 500B MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B250M-DS3H  STORAGE: 1tb Wd Blue 7200rpm hdd  MOUSE: Redragon M711 Cobra Chroma RGB 

KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe  MICROPHONE: Blue Snowball  DISPLAY: Dell S2440L 1080p 60hz  HEADPHONES: Audio Technica ATH-M30X's

2 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Similar story here, though I bought my PS3 originally just to play Demon's Souls and Okami. But the games are so cheap and it has so many exclusives that I missed as a 360 and then PC gamer. I never bought the system intending to load up on games, but with so much good shit for so cheap there was no way I was going to resist. Sadly the Playstation Store deals on PS3 have been pretty crappy for a month now after being amazing for all of 2017 until then. I hope Sony hasn't given up on all the $5 and below PS3 hits.

Here in the country we can get some grey market deals like i spoken about on this topic.

I don't really know about the legality of it, but as long as it works, is cheap and its registered, i'm buying xD

3 hours ago, Chevy_Monsenhor said:

Here in the country we can get some grey market deals like i spoken about on this topic.

I don't really know about the legality of it, but as long as it works, is cheap and its registered, i'm buying xD

There would be no way I'd risk my Playstation Network account on that.

1 hour ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

There's a lot of titles you can puck up for the PlayStation 3 brand new for dirt cheap, not to mention the consoles themselves aren't that pricey, either. I'd get one.

Are you talking physical copies? If so, where are you finding really cheap brand new copies of PS3 games? Most new physical copies of PS3 games I find are still $20 or more.

I would say it is absolutely worth getting one even today, provided you are interested in the exclusives. The PS3 has a ton of great JRPGs and just Japanese games in general. If the exclusives don't interest you, you may want to reconsider.

It may be worth considering buying one that has been modded or one of the models that are easily moddable. This will allow you to insert the Japanese audio into some of the games that were localized with only an English dub. I've actually been meaning to pick up a second PS3 myself because I have some JRPGs I've been holding off on playing due to the bad English voice acting.

If you do buy one, I would consider buying a used lot with a bunch of games to get you started.

7 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Are you talking physical copies? If so, where are you finding really cheap brand new copies of PS3 games? Most new physical copies of PS3 games I find are still $20 or more.

Some of the games are even going up in value over their original $60 retail price.:o

I would say its very worth it, you can get brand new PS3 games for extremely cheap too, I bought the team ICO collection for $26 cad off amazon and the MGS legacy collection for $27 cad. 10 games for less than the price of a single new console release 'aint bad.

You can also jailbreak every model except the super slim (and some late slim models)

On the topic of which model to buy tho, you may want to avoid buying older fat models, they can play PS1, PS2, and PS3 games but they're extremely prone to overheating (the cheap thermal paste is just dust at this point) so you may end up paying $100-$200 for something that turns into a brick in a month or two

I am only interested in the exclusives, because all multiplat games I game on the PC.

And that is just the thing.

I am used to play all games at ultra settings and with fps above 120.

My fear is that I end up buying the PS3 and some games and then they run at 30 fps with poor frame times, fps drops and a lot of motion blur and I just end up not playing because I am spoiled by the PC.

Gaming is a lot more than 'specs' and 'graphics' and '60fps'.

The PS3 particularly is host to a wide range of exclusives, particularly Japanese and arcade ports, that you really can't get on PC (And let's admit it, PS3 emulation, while making great strides, has some ways to go) and so a PS3, if those games interest you, can be a great investment.

Frankly, if you've not played a game before, it's new to you, no matter how old it is. :)

19 hours ago, Gdourado said:

I am only interested in the exclusives, because all multiplat games I game on the PC.

And that is just the thing.

I am used to play all games at ultra settings and with fps above 120.

My fear is that I end up buying the PS3 and some games and then they run at 30 fps with poor frame times, fps drops and a lot of motion blur and I just end up not playing because I am spoiled by the PC.

If you care more about performance than games you gotta stick with PC then. Most PS3 games are going to be 30 fps. I also only buy exclusives on it and out of about 40 PS3 exclusives I have only the PS2 remasters (eg Ratchet & Clank, God of War 2, etc) run at 60 fps.

9 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

If you care more about performance than games you gotta stick with PC then. Most PS3 games are going to be 30 fps. I also only buy exclusives on it and out of about 40 PS3 exclusives I have only the PS2 remasters (eg Ratchet & Clank, God of War 2, etc) run at 60 fps.

How do you find the experience of playing the other 30fps exclusives?

2 hours ago, Gdourado said:

How do you find the experience of playing the other 30fps exclusives?

I enjoy playing them even though I'm someone who absolutely needs 60 fps when gaming on PC. I can never make 30 fps feel anything but horrible on PC but it seems to work ok on console. Of course the 60 fps of The Last of Us on PS4 still feels night and day better than the 30 fps of The Last of Us on PS3. But if you can't play console games at 30 fps then you're going to miss some truly amazing games that never got ported to PC.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16.8.2017 at 10:32 AM, iiNNeX said:

Get a pre-owned PS4, much better graphics.

it's not about the graphics it's about the games.

Most games on PS3 can not be gotten on the PS4 (yet) and if you want to play those, you have to get a PS3...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"