*ENTRIES CLOSED* *WINNERS UPDATED* Build a New Gaming Rig with Linus Tech Tips and ASUS ROG - ROG Rig Reboot

CPotter

#ROGRigReboot

Here's my RIG I built back in March 2008!  It was the first, and only, one I ever built for myself, and I bought it with my first paycheck from my first job right out of college.

CPU Benchmark - CINIBENCH R15.0.png

Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0.png

3DMark - Cloud Gate.png

3DMark - PC Specs.png

My entry for the #ROGRigReboot

the gtx 480 is a really scary card often reaching temps over 95c while gaming even with the side cover off and a box fan pointing at it

benchmarks i forgot to add to video because i lost the image files

witcher 2 fps min 16 max 30/ gpu temp 104c/ high settings

tomb raider 2011 fps min 26/ 52/ gpu temp 96c high settings

#ROGRigReboot

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzsrfM0IpLAGUGVGLVhoM3BEX3c/view?usp=sharing

This is my "Big Red" build

Antec 1200 V1

Asus FX990 Sabertooth

AMD 8120

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 (32GB)

XFX AMD HD7850 DD 2GB

Antec 1000 PSU

256 GB Samsung SSD

2x 256 LiteOn SSD

12TB of HDD space

Thermaltake Water 2.0 AiO CPU cooler

I bought the case with the power supply back in 2007, it has held 3 different computer builds over the years, each of them with ASUS Mother Boards. The first being, I believe a Deluxe-T AMD 800 series chipset board, with two ATI 3000 series GPUs. This latest build was upgraded to what I currently have in the hopes of doing gaming, illustrations, and CAD work. While currently residing in my closet, it mostly sits there because I can't use two monitors on it, the GPU is a little worse for ware. When I did have it plugged in, the hardest game I played on it was Gears 4, on high settings, nailing down a decent 45 fps, with dips into the teens. While I'm sure that I could replace the GPU and keep it going, I don't want to put a newer GPU into this and have it bottle necked by the dated hardware. I have always had Asus mother boards. I don't think I would ever build with anything else. I am holding out hope that they do another AMD Sabertooth board. If or when this computer is rebuilt, I would like to keep it as an AMD/Asus to keep the "Big Red" going, and with new and current RGB trends this name wouldn't just be a statement of the parts inside. 

#ROGRigReboot

I put my best into it and hopefully I can win.

Forgot to mention the CPU has a whopping two cores and the side where the fan sits gets insanely hot.

Here are the specs

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015)

Processor: 1.6 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory:4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Startup disk: Macintosh HD

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB

here are the games that i own that i can't play, one of which is because it doesn't support my OS doesn't support it is BeamNG.drive and the other three CS:GO, Garry's mod, and Kerbal Space Program are because of how poorly they run because of my rig are

the only game that can run well enough on my rig to be considered remotely playable is team fortress 2

On 8/11/2017 at 5:06 PM, CPotter said:

2017-08-11.png

We're inviting you to send us a 30 - 60-second video tour of your outdated gaming rig, explaining why you should win a free gaming PC upgrade at the Linus Tech Tips office with Linus! Tell us why your rig isn't cutting it and how ASUS ROG can make your dreams come true. 

Winners will be selected based on:

- Hardware specifications

- Games (That you can or cannot run)

- Story

- Creativity

Please link your video within this thread and use #ROGRigReboot in your entry post so we can filter through the applications easier. :D 

Applications for video entries will close on  August 21st - later that week we'll be picking three winners who will be direct messaged here through the forum! From there we'll coordinate flights and accommodations for the winners to come out to Surrey, BC, Canada.

*This giveaway is limited to residents in North America only, ages 18 or older, or younger accompanied by a guardian*

Follow ASUS ROG on social media for updates!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/rog.n.america

Twitter: twitter.com/ASUSUSA

Instagram: instagram.com/rog_na/

Check out the ASUS ROG store on Facebook: http://geni.us/asusrogfacebookstore

Hey Guys,

Here is my video entry to the #ROGRigReboot contest.

Sorry for the speed up voice at the end, I had to squish it in to the 60s mark to qualify…

Here are some benchmarks.

cb1.PNG.ddaed8c6e398f9b290b15961fc316714.PNGcb2.PNG.4c7f00a7694fadafc51899dd8de6d2fa.PNG

Personally, I find it amazing that even tough I built this rig over 10 years ago: it still works (ASUS makes great MOBO’s). Yes, I had to do some minor upgrades, but that is expected with any rig. What would be even more awesome is: if I win the contest. In addition, September 8 is my 25th birthday, that would make once in a lifetime present. Flying down to build a new rig with your crew would be a once in a lifetime experience. I never went any where west of Toronto since arriving in Canada 14 years ago.

This rig handles most AAA games in the 15-25 FPS range on Ultra LOooWwwwww settings. But unfortunately, anything built on Unity crashes way too much to be playable. The unreal engine is a bit more forgiving. It seems like, back in 2010, when my PSU broke and fried my GPU it did more damage then what I saw. Ever since it never worked as well. It always gives me some trouble. getting gradually worse and worse. Because I’m still in university (studying bachelor of construction engineering) I do not have the budget to build a new rig.

I have been watching the LTT YouTube channel for a while but I never considered joining the forum. That is: until two weeks ago, when I decided to allocate a little budget to squeeze the last remaining juice from my rig. See thread:

In conclusion, I don’t know if I fully deserve to win this contest. I feel like I could have take a better care of my rig and avoided some of the mishaps. (I did buy a UPS since my PSU blew because of faulty building wiring) But, I guess we all learn from our mistakes. One thing that I know for sure is that my rig needs a #ROGRigReboot and that you can help me.

ASUS and LTT, Thank you for the contest, for your consideration and your time.

Keep up the good work!

-Art

P.S. I apologize if I look a bit sleepy in the video, it was way to late at night when I recorded it. I meant to re do that part but I didn’t have enough time.

#ROGRigReboot

Hi all, i had 2 min of things to say, spent a days cutting things out to hit 1 min, so ill include the script if anyone wants to read it.

Hi all, my name is Marc, i used to be a serious enthusiast. 
every 3 years or so i would build a new all out rig and give my old one to a lucky family member.
I also used to be single with disposable income.

about 3 and a half years ago i started dating a wonderful woman with 3 amazing kids, and no dad. (he decided being single in a different province, sounded fun)
withing a month i moved in and in 3 months they upgraded me from marc to daddy (totaly worth it by the way).
I'm currently back in school so i can offer my family and I a better future too. so money is real tight.

Before my money dried up i did manage to buy an asus 4k monitor with plans for a graphics card upgrade but that didnt happen.
Now the best i can do is build a new PC every now and then on pcpartspicker.com dream for a bit then close the window.

I have my 6 year old computer and a new parts budget of 0$
i'll list my full setup and whats left of it, because it was incredible when i built it and i miss those days lol.

Rampage 4 extreme
gtx 680
16gb of ddr3
2 120gb kingston SSDs in raid 0
2 3tb drives in raid 1 both dead now (infamouse 3tb seagates)
2 2tb drives in raid 1 with 1 drive dieing. smart errors every other week and drops from raid.
3 140mm radiator with all 3 aerocool sharks now dead, no money for new fans.
very old 1000 watt thermal take power supply that is letting go and has to be kept very clean or the PC shuts down under load.
And most importantly no RGB. well I do have the R but no GB. Linus.. no GB!!!

I would show more benchmarks as requested in the guidelines but my fans are dead, so my cpu is being passively cooled at stock speed.
in its glory days I did have it running at 4.9ghz stable for fun but ran it at 4.5ghz for every day use. i never did get 5ghz stable : (

The games i would love to play are the witcher 3, tomb raider and most other modern titles that are pure eye candy. I love games with epic sceneries

I see a lot systems worse that mine in this competition and i could have shown an athlon xp my girls use for netflix and youtube but i would rather lose than be dishonest. 
if i win, not only will i get an upgrade but my son will get my mb,cpu,ram and gpu. hes a gamer and at the moment has a q6600 4gb of ram with a hd5770. it used to be a gtx 8800 that died a long time ago but started working again for about a year and a half after i baked it in the oven, dont let louis bring you down linus, you rock.

ive been watching Linus since he worked for ncix and would love to meet him, luke and the group.

Winning this competition would be 3 dreams come true, 1 for my son who would love to inherit my components and 2 for me.

Thank you for for this chance, linus and crew.
and thank you asus for making amazing parts, to this day, my aunt is still using my old PC to with a striker extreme motherboard. and my cousin with a rampage extreme

Will individuals that have surpassed the time limit be disqualified?

1 minute ago, Simple_Canadian said:

y-y-you have a thousand dollar drone, yet you can't replace your pc? :/

ikr, what's wrong with they? All my life I've been in low end computers without graphics card, ¿for this?

2 minutes ago, Dr. Octavius said:

Will individuals that have surpassed the time limit be disqualified?

i didn't take the chance. i cut and cut away things till i couldn't anymore. I hit a wall at 1 min 3 sec, so i sped up the video by 5%. IT kinda would suck to lose to a video that didn't follow the rules.

1 minute ago, MarcVez said:

i didn't take the chance. i cut and cut away things till i couldn't anymore. I hit a wall at 1 min 3 sec, so i sped up the video by 5%. IT kinda would suck to lose to a video that didn't follow the rules.

I hit the same wall but at 1:20... I just cut away alot of the spaces in my sentences. So it worked out.

My submission! 

Link - 

Hello lads, I'm someone who loves to video edit and try to do Photoshop stuff, but my laptop really limits me there. Gaming is another thing I love as CS is one of my favourite games and I love tons of single player games, but they run no better. I'm a student in a bad financial situation, and my mother is no better off. I'm just out here trying to make a video, to see if I get lucky. I'm currently going back to school, money is tight, and my specs.. really don't allow for any gaming.

Specs - Intel Core i5-3337U (1.8GHz)

8GB of RAM, a disk that constantly spikes up to 100% (even after a clean reinstall),

and some lovely Intel HD Graphics 4000.

Overall, there alot of nice titles and programs I wish I could use, and honestly.. I don't own too many titles, nor do any of them run well and I don't have tons of hard drive space for them. If I win, I'd be so happy of course and I've been watching Linus for such a long time. Watching the old reviews and build guides, then the full room water cooling and the moving vlogs, and all the videos since, that was all amazing. Watching Channel Super Fun change over the years and everything has been cool. Sadly, I couldn't make it to LTX but I would've gone.

Thanks for the awesome contest/competition LTT/ASUS.

I mean, if I was going to buy a monitor. Man, I'd only get Asus. :) (i'm being serious)

oh, and the iPhone in the video was a gift. not even purchased by me/parents.:(

<3 and good luck to everyone else.

Hey Guys. Yes, I do play on Gary (that's his actual name) and I honestly feel limited by him. I have been using Garageband on my IPad for music production because FL studio wont run on Gary. I cant expand to games like GTA V because Gary doesn't have the space. 

Specs-

i7 M620 @ 2.67Ghz 

8GB of RAM

Nvidia NVS 3100M

Wish everyone the best of luck! I had a lot of fun making this

This is my submission to the #ROGRigReboot contest 

I've been a long time subscriber to the LTT channel and I've used the forums to find help when I am stuck with pretty much any issue. This contest was a good kick in the butt for me to become a proper member of the forums. My video covers my story but in a few words please help a poor college student build a pc that can get him back into proper gaming. I like indy titles but I would like to play something bigger. Asus and LInus please help ME!  

#ROGRigReboot

Please help me, I really need a pc!

I currently do not have a pc. I would use it for video editing and other creative platforms. I believe that I have an extreme talent for all forms of media including video, photography, and music etc. I LOVE DOING IT!

I would love to fly out to Canada, meet Linus, and build my own pc! I had a fun time filming this with my friend Elliott, and I hope all of you who watch get a good laugh out of it!

THANK YOU

1 minute ago, these.go.to.eleven said:

#ROGRigReboot

Please help me, I really need a pc!

I currently do not have a pc. I would use it for video editing and other creative platforms. I believe that I have an extreme talent for all forms of media including video, photography, and music etc. I LOVE DOING IT!

I had a fun time filming this with my friend Elliott, and I hope all of you who watch get a good laugh out of it!

THANK YOU

There goes my auditory sense, shattered by the loud volume.

Dear "my" future computer givers,

I would like to show you my hunk of junk computer, at least I think its a computer. I may have accidentally purchased a microwave because all I see on this screen is radiation. My washing machine is more HD and gets more fps than this thing! I couldn't even use this computer to record, I had to use this potato i'm holding instead (ironic considering my computer is a microwave),

it doesn't even do that right.

As you can see I am very in need of something new and better (perhaps an oven), that can actually better my life. Please help me complete my kitchen. 

#ROGRigReboot

Here are my computers specs

Microprocessor
2.16GHz Intel Celeron N2830 Processor with Turbo Boost Technology up to 2.41GHz
Memory
4GB DDR3L SDRAM (1 DIMM)
Memory Slots
1 user accessible
Video Graphics
Intel® HD graphics
Display
15.6-inch diagonal HD BrightView WLED-backlit display (1366x768)
Hard Drive
500GB 5400RPM hard drive
Multimedia Drive
SuperMulti DVD burner
Network Card
10/100BASE-T Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)
Wireless Connectivity
1x1 802.11b/g/n WLAN
Sound
HD Audio with stereo speakers
Keyboard
Full-size island-style keyboard with numeric keypad
Pointing Device
Touchpad supporting multi-touch gestures without on/off button
External Ports
Multi-format digital media card reader for Secure Digital cards
2 SuperSpeed USB 3.0
1 Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0