GTX 745 bottlenecking i7-6700

Kudden

Have a GTX 745 with an i7-6700 from a prebuilt from ~1 1/2 year back ASUS G11CB. Wondering if the GTX is bottlenecking my i7?  

EDIT: I can barely keep up with the comments. An how big of a bottleneck is it?

Speccy.png

Edited by Kudden

yes, definitely.  You could throw a 1080 Ti in there and the CPU would still be fine.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Any recommendations on GPU's? And the gpu is bottlenecking the cpu. Just to be clear. I'm dumb

Yes, that GPU is holding back the CPU. You should upgrade to a GTX 1060 6GB at the very least with my recommendation being a GTX 1080.

Just now, Kudden said:

Any recommendations on GPU's? And the gpu is bottlenecking the cpu. Just to be clear. I'm dumb

what resolution do you/want to play at?

CPU: Intel I5 4690K | GPU: Asus R9 280x | PSU: Evga 600w | RAM:8GB DDR3 | HDD: WD 1TB | HDD: WD 500GB | SSD: Sandisk 120GB 

1 minute ago, Kudden said:

It can handle any GPU at the moment. Even a 1080 Ti.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Play a lot cs, but ~720?  maybe some arma3 and h1z1

Just now, Kudden said:

Play a lot cs, but ~720?  maybe some arma3 and h1z1

720p?

CPU: Intel I5 4690K | GPU: Asus R9 280x | PSU: Evga 600w | RAM:8GB DDR3 | HDD: WD 1TB | HDD: WD 500GB | SSD: Sandisk 120GB 

4 minutes ago, Jack Kaye Pc Gamer said:

what resolution do you/want to play at?

medium then

Just now, Kudden said:

medium then

what do you meen medium? what resolution is your monitor?

1 minute ago, Jack Kaye Pc Gamer said:

what do you meen medium? what resolution is your monitor?

1080, medium settings in shaders etc. Have barely touched any game outside cs.

Just now, Kudden said:

1080, medium settings in shaders etc. Have barely touched any game outside cs.

1050ti would do for cs but if you ever wanted to play any new games(triple a games) you would want a 1060 6gb

14 minutes ago, Kudden said:

Basically the best one you can afford/care to get.  If you don't need more no need to upgrade, but if you do want more power, it's up to you what to get.  Like I said, your CPU will handle pretty much any card on the market right now just fine.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Jack Kaye Pc Gamer said:

1050ti would do for cs but if you ever wanted to play any new games(triple a games) you would want a 1060 6gb

hmm, Want to play Arma more. Seem to barely get over 60 fps. and I don't really have a lot of money to spend ~360 $ ( 3 000 SEK ) 

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Basically the best one you can afford/care to get.  If you don't need more no need to upgrade, but if you do want more power, it's up to you what to get.  Like I said, your CPU will handle pretty much any card on the market right now just fine.

Any recommendations ~360 $ 

Just now, Kudden said:

Any recommendations ~360 $ 

That should be enough for a 1070 iirc.  Except all GPUs are horribly overpriced right now 

8 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

That should be enough for a 1070 iirc.  Except all GPUs are horribly overpriced right now 

And Thanks for the recommendation

Dude the 745 is a slow card. Not to shit on it or anything but even a regular 750 Ti is a shit ton faster.

If you can, since you play a lot of CS:GO and stuff, get something like a GTX 1060 or RX 480. 

37 minutes ago, Kudden said:

Gtx 1070 or 1060 you should see a huge improvement 

3 minutes ago, Gamerguy207 said:

Gtx 1070 or 1060 you should see a huge improvement 

How much VRAM? 

12 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

Dude the 745 is a slow card. Not to shit on it or anything but even a regular 750 Ti is a shit ton faster.

If you can, since you play a lot of CS:GO and stuff, get something like a GTX 1060 or RX 480. 

I don't take it, personal bro. I'm not here to cry. Thanks for the suggestion! <3 

2 hours ago, Kudden said:

Have a GTX 745 with an i7-6700 from a prebuilt from ~1 1/2 year back ASUS G11CB. Wondering if the GTX is bottlenecking my i7?  

EDIT: I can barely keep up with the comments. An how big of a bottleneck is it?

Speccy.png

Sorry, but that's just a completely stupid Question.

Please guys, get away from this "Bottleneck" bullshit.

It is 100% irrelevant if your GPU bottlneekcs your CPU, or vice versa.

In a Gaming System, you ALWAY S have a Bottleneck. It's not possible to NOT have a Bottleneck. No Bottleneck = you haf ve unlimited fps. Do you ever have that? Of course not. There is ALWAYS a Bottleneck, no matter What game. Period.

The important Question is only: Does your GPU deliver enough fps for YOU, in YOU Software, in YOUR Settings?

IF yes, it doesn't matter if there is a Bottleneck. You have enough fps.

If NO, then upgrade your GPU.

Same otherwise. Does your CPU deliver enough fps for you? If not, your GPU does NOT matter at all for Gaming. Because no matter what GPU you would throw at it, your CPU won't deliver enough fps for you.

If it delivers enough fps for YOU, the GPU is irrelevant, as it's dependant on settings and Software.

Now to your Question. There is no GTX 745 out there. This Card is only OEM. Which means, you own an Asus OEM Computer.

---> What PSU do you have? If you don't know how to look at it, make a Picture of the Datasheet on the PSU.

If you get a GTX 1060 (which is totally fine for 1080p / 60 Hz gmaing), get only the 6gb Model. Forget the 3gb Model, it doesn't exist. It shouldn't exist.

GTX 1070 is fine too, if Price is fine. Depending what Games you play, what Settings you use, and waht fps you want.

4 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

In a Gaming System, you ALWAY S have a Bottleneck. It's not possible to NOT have a Bottleneck. No Bottleneck = you haf ve unlimited fps. Do you ever have that? Of course not. There is ALWAYS a Bottleneck, no matter What game. Period.

The important Question is only: Does your GPU deliver enough fps for YOU, in YOU Software, in YOUR Settings?

IF yes, it doesn't matter if there is a Bottleneck. You have enough fps.

If NO, then upgrade your GPU.

Same otherwise. Does your CPU deliver enough fps for you? If not, your GPU does NOT matter at all for Gaming. Because no matter what GPU you would throw at it, your CPU won't deliver enough fps for you.

If it delivers enough fps for YOU, the GPU is irrelevant, as it's dependant on settings and Software.

Yes this is all true.  I can't speak for everyone but I'd like to think people all understand this (never hurts to say it though I guess).