Tagging everyone in a thread

Go to solution Solved by colonel_mortis,

I can see why this would be useful, but I can also see two possible outcomes - either people just don't know about it, in which case it's useless, or people end up using it to tag everyone when really not everyone needs to be tagged. For example, say I move a topic, and post in that topic to say that I've moved it - now I will be included in all the tags, even when it has absolutely nothing to do with me. Moreover, say someone uses this feature in the Anime or Car clubs. That would have a considerable impact on performance I think, and would spam lots of people with notifications.

It's not a useless feature, but I don't think it would get enough use for the right reasons. I think it would be better if tags suggested people in the topic first, but alas the devs don't seem too bothered about that either.

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

Page changes, so contents of ine page can be moved to another one (eg mod renoved a post) 

Ah I see what you're getting at. Either way, you're either going to be missing one user out of the tag in that situation and if you do the page range from 1-5 then there's still a good chance an active user in the topic will still be within one of the 5 pages.

Either that or the whole @here tag could simply tag the last 5-10-15 (whatever) number of pages so for threads that have thousands of pages you're still only giving the most recent users notifications.

I have a feeling this would get abused. A lot. Even if only OP would have power for it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

22 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

I have a feeling this would get abused. A lot. Even if only OP would have power for it.

Pretty much. New AMD release thread with 30 pages? Better start the tag train. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I can see why this would be useful, but I can also see two possible outcomes - either people just don't know about it, in which case it's useless, or people end up using it to tag everyone when really not everyone needs to be tagged. For example, say I move a topic, and post in that topic to say that I've moved it - now I will be included in all the tags, even when it has absolutely nothing to do with me. Moreover, say someone uses this feature in the Anime or Car clubs. That would have a considerable impact on performance I think, and would spam lots of people with notifications.

It's not a useless feature, but I don't think it would get enough use for the right reasons. I think it would be better if tags suggested people in the topic first, but alas the devs don't seem too bothered about that either.

HTTP/2 203