Samsung 960 Evo not fast enough

LordofSavages

So I made a new PC: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CGL8tJ

CPU is fine and overclocked. RAM XMP works fine. GPU is fine and overclocked. Lighting set up fine. Cooling set up fine. Everything fine. Except my 960 Evo SSD is only hitting about 2.6GBps instead of the advertised 3.2GBps.

Things I've done:

-Install Samsung NVME Driver (Showing up in device manager as it should)

-Installed Magician software (It says I'm using the PCIE 3.0 x4 bus)

Sooooooooooooo..........

Halp

How full is the drive? The more data on it the slower it'll perform.

Also, is it a pro or evo drive? Your title differs from the body. 

1 minute ago, kitsune1324 said:

Honestly I don't see that big of a difference in performance between my 850 Evo and 850 Pro, they are both 1TB and around the same storage usage.

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

1 minute ago, kitsune1324 said:

It's a fresh windows install with only utilities and drivers on. About 30GB used out of the 250GB. It's an evo (that never happened).

Just now, Icuw1pc said:

Honestly I don't see that big of a difference in performance between my 850 Evo and 850 Pro, they are both 1TB and around the same storage usage.

SHH THAT NEVER HAPPEN

1 minute ago, YaqinHasan said:

It's a fresh windows install with only utilities and drivers on. About 30GB used out of the 250GB. It's an evo (that never happened).

Is the quoted speed rating for your size drive? Sometimes lower capacity drives are slower.

1 minute ago, Icuw1pc said:

That's because they're both SATA ;)

Chances are minuscule you'd notice the difference between them.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Where did you get the image used to install Windows 10?

Are all of the correct system drivers installed? Those lanes can sometimes be set to different data speeds, have you looked into that?

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

1 minute ago, Icuw1pc said:

Where did you get the image used to install Windows 10?

Are all of the correct system drivers installed? Those lanes can sometimes be set to different data speeds, have you looked into that?

The Microsoft website? It says it's using PCIE 3.0 x4, which is what it's supposed to use

I can't help but seeing the "up to" part of that. Meaning it might not actually hit that speed, kind of like how you can buy SATA SSDs rated for 550/mbps, however that's for the larger capacity drives; the smaller ones are slower.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I can't help but seeing the "up to" part of that. Meaning it might not actually hit that speed, kind of like how you can buy SATA SSDs rated for 550/mbps, however that's for the larger capacity drives; the smaller ones are slower.

Far as I know, all of them have the same read speeds but different write speeds. I could be wrong.

that's an up to stat, the 1tb achieves faster speeds due to a larger cache and more nand.

its already overkill, dw

idk

7 minutes ago, dizmo said:

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

that's an up to stat, the 1tb achieves faster speeds due to a larger cache and more nand.

its already overkill, dw

Well...

Capture.PNG

Your not that far off advertises speeds, although im not sure why exactly you bought an NVME drive, hopefully for one of the use cases that benefit it. Tests only do so much in certain areas, have you tried Crystaldiskmark and such? or the samsung magician software?

2 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Your not that far off advertises speeds, although im not sure why exactly you bought an NVME drive, hopefully for one of the use cases that benefit it. Tests only do so much in certain areas, have you tried Crystaldiskmark and such? or the samsung magician software?

Both crystaldiskmark and magician do similar (2600-2800MBps). I just bought it so I didn't need to route 2 more cables and since a normal SATA one was only 40$ cheaper, so in a 2500$ PC, it didn't matter to me.(lol fite me m8)

Just now, YaqinHasan said:

Both crystaldiskmark and magician do similar (2600-2800MBps). I just bought it so I didn't need to route 2 more cables and since a normal SATA one was only 40$ cheaper, so in a 2500$ PC, it didn't matter to me.

Interesting, generally the sata drive has double the capacity for that much less. the 256 GB NVME drive sells for 120-130, when 500 GB sata drives sell for that (plus a bit more now with the shortage) and the 500 GB NVME sells for 230-260, where the 1 TB sata drives usually are around.

Hope you get a lot of use out of it ^.^ i just dont enjoy people spending money on the drives that they honestly could have spent elsewhere :o

Just now, Shimejii said:

Interesting, generally the sata drive has double the capacity for that much less. the 256 GB NVME drive sells for 120-130, when 500 GB sata drives sell for that (plus a bit more now with the shortage) and the 500 GB NVME sells for 230-260, where the 1 TB sata drives usually are around.

Hope you get a lot of use out of it ^.^ i just dont enjoy people spending money on the drives that they honestly could have spent elsewhere :o

It was 40$ bruh chill xD. There's no other part in my build that could have benefited from such a small amount anyway. I also didn't need anymore than 250GB for OS and small programs anyway so a larger drive wouldn't have helped honestly.