Will we ever see a machine like...? (look inside please)

Hi everyone. Today, I, as a person who don't really know much about laptops, will share an output of my wishful thinking process with you. TL;DR: read bold and underlined text only.

Story goes like this: Many people including me want a good built thin and light all-rounder machine with a dGPU. As a matter of fact, such a setup will generally include a x700 hq cpu + 10x0 gpu and they will cause overheating in that body easily. Results vary from throttling to short life expectancy.

Another problem, most people, don't include me this time :)won't even need that much processing power in an expensive package to begin with. A mid-range cpu would be enough for them. They just don't care about FPS or stuff like that; only want to play their games at good settings if not max and expect their game would be playable with those settings. So, a weaker processor could do the trick for them. I know there is 7300hq inside of some laptops. But that one still has a TDP of 45w which means it also causes overheating.

Well, obvious solution is upgrading the cooling. But I think there may be another way similar to but not hopefully as bad as Max-Q approach. As you know, Intel will increase core count of the ulv processors. So we will see 4 core low voltage cpu's shortly. Do you think successors of i7 ulv's will have enough horsepower to be exchanged with 7300hq or even 7700hq - which isn't really needed but people inevitably ended up with? 7567u for example, has a great single core performance (4ghz turbo) and it's TDP is around 25w I think. Not so weak, eh?

Maybe they make a new convertible or 2in1 with one of the stronger 4 core i7 ulv's and put a 1050-1050Ti 4GB or 1060 inside? 1-2 TB3 port, 8-16 GB RAM and one more empty slot, a good pen, two storage slots and we're good to go. Just wishful thinking. But you never know, maybe they will do it. If one can wait long enough :(

So, what do you think? Could such a processor drive a 1060 without being too much of a bottleneck? And without any overheating if put in today's machines?

I think u missed the fact that these laptops exist today.

Aero 15 for the first one that you're looking for

Lenovo 720 for the 2 in 1

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

Why not. Thats why stuff like max q was made. They wanted to make lighter, quieter, but still strong performing laptops. Anything is possible as long as there are people who want it and people who are willing to make them.

20 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

Well, I know about them of course, as a person who is waiting for an Aero 15. What I'm asking, can the upcoming 4 core i7 ULV's (named coffee lake or cannonlake) go along well with a 1060? For an even cooler and quieter experience? Will they be too weak for 1060? I am aware that we may not yet fully know their capabilities. We can maybe draw some conclusions by looking into Kaby Lake ulv's. It's just a "what if" question.

33 minutes ago, Colexd said:

Why not. Thats why stuff like max q was made. They wanted to make lighter, quieter, but still strong performing laptops. Anything is possible as long as there are people who want it and people who are willing to make them.

It depends on the companies for the most part. But max-q is not the right answer to solve "overheating in a thin body problem" as I read. It also make things even more expensive for less performance. U-series cpu's, on the other hand, MAY BE a bit less expensive than hq stuff. I don't know. And if a strong enough upcoming 4 core ulv cpu can carry 1060 on shoulders, than using that cpu might be a better way to blow away the heat. With the added benefit of sending away the unneeded power (for some people) of a "possibly" more expensive hq cpu.

9 minutes ago, road warrior said:

snip

Why would we need ulv quad core when we can undervolt current quadcores to great temps and acoustic performance.

Think of ulv quadcores like worse Ryzens. Lower clocks. I'm not even sure if 15w can keep it at full turbo. We will see. But at best it'll be a Ryzen level gaming experience as games still benefit from less cores higher clocks. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

52 minutes ago, road warrior said:

still has a TDP of 45w

Seriously I only encountered a max power of 30W (in Prime95 max power consumption test) with my 7300HQ. TDP is not how you count total power draw

54 minutes ago, road warrior said:

Max-Q approach

You can achieve the same thing by making a custom voltage to frequency graph for the GPU in MSI Afterburner

56 minutes ago, road warrior said:

Do you think successors of i7 ulv's will have enough horsepower to be exchanged with 7300hq or even 7700hq

No because they uses lower power which means performance is limited (lower base clock for example)

57 minutes ago, road warrior said:

Could such a processor drive a 1060 without being too much of a bottleneck? And without any overheating if put in today's machines?

Even 7300HQ will bottleneck in some games. I would say the quad core ULV will bottleneck.

And yes, overheating will still occur if the manufacturer goes cheap on cooling solution (because it's a lower power CPU and they may put less heatpipes for example)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

5 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

You can achieve the same thing by making a custom voltage to frequency graph for the GPU in MSI Afterburner

Just clearing things up, I said nothing about gpu's. The term "Max-Q approach" I used was only meant for cpu's to describe what I think by linking it to an already known thing. Anyway... 

@Pendragon the idea just popped into my head after seeing 7567u: 3.5 ghz single core up to 4 ghz turbo performance and 28w TDP. For sure not all u series are like that one which is probably best of the bunch. You're right to doubt whether any of ulv cpu's could hold turbo. Either way, I discovered my premise is a bit off because there is not much price difference between u- and hq-series chips. So, even if there was a ulv 4 core that is good enough for 1060, price difference would be negligible at best. Well, if it isn't Max-Q cpu, @ZM Fong ;) Thank you both for the answers.

9 hours ago, Pendragon said:

This. The Yoga 720 is my main pick if you want a full quad core i7 and a TB3 port. Hell, just grab the base model and run with it. :D

S.K.Y.N.E.T. v4.3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RX 6700XT |   Twin 24" Pixio PX248 Prime 1080p 144Hz Displays | 256GB Sabrent NVMe (OS) | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #1 | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #2 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo1TB Western Digital NVMe | 2TB Sabrent NVMe | Intel Wireless-AC 9260