Digital Foundry: Ryzen 5 1600/ 1600X vs Core i5 7600K Review: It's an AMD Win!

Check this Digital Foundry review:

The R5 1600 looks like hands down the better gaming cpu when compared to any i5, especially after factoring in price. I know Gamers Nexus has previously shown the R5 1600 to outperform the i5-7600k when it comes to 1% and 0.1% lows in modern games, but seeing these frametimes synced with the actual scenes shows how much those 6C/12T really help to smooth out framerates in very cpu taxing areas while the i5 frametimes are all over the place. I have been recommending the R5 1600 over any i5 since the Gamers Nexus review, but this review just makes it crystal clear that the R5 1600 is hands down the sweet spot for gaming today. If you want to spend $200 more on cpu + cooler the i7-7700k is still the best, but for someone looking for value the 1600 looks untouchable unless your budget is tight enough to have to drop down to the Pentium G4560.

for gaming you can just get a r5 1400 and oc that one, more than 4C/8T doesnt make sense since games arent using more than 4 threads anyways

3 minutes ago, Tiwaz said:

for gaming you can just get a r5 1400 and oc that one, more than 4C/8T doesnt make sense since games arent using more than 4 threads anyways

Actually Bf1 will easily use 6-8 threads 

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Most benchmarks show the 1600 ahead of the 1500X and 1400. Recent games can take advantage of the 6 cores 12 threads

Just now, Damascus said:

Actually Bf1 will easily use 6-8 threads 

thats one specific game. Battlefield 1 is the only game I have where my i5 doesnt fully use my gtx 1080 ti without using DSR

Just now, light-v said:

Most benchmarks show the 1600 ahead of the 1500X and 1400. Recent games can take advantage of the 6 cores 12 threads

which games besides BF1

techpowerup shows how a 1400 fails to beat budget g4560 https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_5_1600/20.html

but im kinda iffy about that review since most case r5 1400 should beat a locked i5

3 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

techpowerup shows how a 1400 fails to beat budget g4560 https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_5_1600/20.html

but im kinda iffy about that review since most case r5 1400 should beat a locked i5

you have to overclock a Ryzen in order to potentially beat an i5 in games otherwise just get the i5

2 minutes ago, Tiwaz said:

which games besides BF1

Almost all of them

The 1400 and 1500X perform about the same at 4GHz

3 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Their benchmarks are really weird, how can every CPU have almost the same performance (Pentium is just few percent behind i7 7700k in gaming, how is that even possible).

Just now, MyName13 said:

Their benchmarks are really weird, how can every CPU have almost the same performance (Pentium is just few percent behind i7 7700k in gaming, how is that even possible).

GPU bottleneck 

Just now, light-v said:

Almost all of them

The 1400 and 1500X perform about the same at 4GHz

So it's either Pentium or r5 1600, everything between performs almost the same.

1 minute ago, light-v said:

It's capped at 200fps, check out other benchmarks some people do talk about it.

alright that's 1 game only

2 minutes ago, light-v said:

It's capped at 200fps, check out other benchmarks some people do talk about it.

Pentium pushes more frames than r5 1400 in bf1 and just 14 frames less than i7 7700k, they are doing something horribly wrong while benchmarking.

4 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

Pentium pushes more frames than r5 1400 in bf1 and just 14 frames less than i7 7700k, they are doing something horribly wrong while benchmarking.

2017-04-04_091242.jpg

ryzen 1400 is better than the Pentium 

10 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

Only the 1400 and G4560's numbers are odd here, the rest pretty much falls in line with other benchmarks I think they swapped their numbers because it actually make sense looked that way

Still I admit that's pretty unprofessional from TechPowerUp

2 minutes ago, light-v said:

Only the 1400 and G4560's numbers are odd here, the rest pretty much falls in line with other benchmarks I think they swapped their numbers because it actually make sense looked that way

could you point to another live benchmark? 

14 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

2017-04-04_091242.jpg

Wow, a 4c8t CPU beats a 2c4t CPU by 16%, I have a feeling that Intel's virtual cores equal amd's real cores.I was talking about tech powerup benchmarks, please read posts you answer to.

image064bf1_1920_1080_min.png

Also keep in mind that benchmarking BF1's campaign vs multiplayer yield completely different results which isn't mentioned nor the DirectX version

1 minute ago, MyName13 said:

Wow, a 4c8t CPU beats a 2c4t CPU by 16%, I have a feeling that Intel's virtual cores equal amd's real cores.I was talking about tech powerup benchmarks, please read posts you answer to.

Please read my previous post where I noticed that they might have swapped numbers before saying I don't read you posts.

1 hour ago, Tiwaz said:

thats one specific game. Battlefield 1 is the only game I have where my i5 doesnt fully use my gtx 1080 ti without using DSR

Can't really get comps ATM but my 1700 is at about 35% usage when I play OW - a very low core count game.  What no to very few reviews take into account are actual use case scenarios, for example discord is almost always in use for a lot of people, maybe Riva tuner or (and this one is me) a metric tonne of chrome tabs.  A game that uses 4 threads will cap out a system with 4 threads, meaning that these side programs push it into 5+ threads in use.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious