R5 1600x or wait for Coffee Lake?

Hi Guys,

So in another thread I'm discussing the i5 1600x build I'm planning - which seems to be a good sweet spot for gaming price / performance currently.

Do you think it's silly to build with that CPU now, knowing that Coffee Lake come out in the next month?

My thoughts:

1. Coffee lake won't be socket 1151, so the boards will likely be full price (most z270 boards are on a ~20% discount currently)
  2. A new chipset could mean a wait for coolers to be updated, pricing will likely follow as above
  3. Coffee lake will likely overclock very well if history shows us anything, whereas the 1600x is known to be stubborn to overclock past 4.0GHz
  4. Games and applications 'tend' to be better optimised for intel
  5. RX Vega looks promising, I imagine it'll work better with Ryzen?

Discuss internet.

1600: 3

1600x :

Coffee Lake: 2

Wait and see: 3

Coffee lake will be socket 1151 but won't be compatible with other 1151 boards, because it's not confusing enough to need BIOS updates, Intel wanted to add more confusion :) 

I would wait for Coffee lake though and see the performance, if it's another month why not just make sure you get the best :) 

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Well the 1600x is imho not worth it: you can overclock quite a bit on just the wraith cooler you get with the 1600 (I'm doing 3.8 on all cores at 1.306v with just the default cooler)

Coffee lake 6 core 12 threads chips look to be very competitive cause they'll probably clock them at 4.0 default 4.3 boost or something like that so they will beat the Ryzen 1600/x in all likelihood but is not like this chips are not already extremely sufficient: It's like using a 4790k for reference: Yes it will "loose" every single test to newer i7s but rarely bottleneck anything at all beyond very extreme cases like 200+ FPS but for almost any other case you can probably achieve whatever you're trying to get with your GPU and monitor, even 144hz no problem.

And this should also be sufficient for a while too since we're talking 6c/12t so no worries and a fairly nice user experience for a desktop user (I am back at not closing chrome doing youtube while gaming with this chip paired with 16gb of ram)

EDIT: I forgot, even though coffee lake will require new motherboards I think that it is most likely to be backwards compatible with the current socket for cooling purposes i.e. coolers for 1155 worked ok with 1150 and 1151 so this is likely to be the case. No confirmation or anything but I'd be surprised if they change the basic design for cooling purposes.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I'm honestly wondering how temps will be.

We know Coffee Lake will be available in a 6C/12T config.

We also know Intel likes to use mayonaise instead of a proper TIM/soldering connection between the die and the heatspreader causing temps to be a lot higher (sometimes 20+°C).

So even if it overclocks well, it's much more likely that there will be thermal issues before instability problems will appear.

Also the reason why games seem to be better running on Intel is due to most older games benefitting quite a lot from few cores and high frequencies.

In modern games (2016-2017) we already see that cpu's with more cores are being better utilized.

edit: also F-you Intel. I would get an R5 1600. My SO got one and i'm jelly AF... (i have a 4690k @ 4.3Ghz with a 240mm AIO and runs stupidly hot, thanks intel...)

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Looking up more on the 1600 (non x) variant now.

It's only £20 cheaper & I was planning on getting a big air cooler anyway, but i suppose i could forgo both to save ~£100.

Opinions on the stock cooler?

Go with the 1600 if you're going the ryzen route. It's upto you if you're not really in a hurry, you may or may not want to wait it out for Coffee Lake.

5 minutes ago, Frazzledoodle said:

Opinions on the stock cooler?

I heard its pretty good. You can overclock to around 3.7-3.9 with it on the 1600.

Just wait for milk shake lake.. better off not buying anything always waiting for whatever new thing comes out O.o

MAD-BOX Ryzen 1600X - ASRock X370 Killer SLI - Sapphire R9 Fury NITRO+  -Fried it... RIP

Xeon e5640 4.35ghz, CoolerMaster Seidon 240V, ASUS P6X58D-E, DDR3 8GB 1636mhz CL9, Sapphire Fury Nitro OC+, 2x Stone age storage @ 7200RPM, Crucial 960GB SSD, NZXT S340, Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution, Steelseries RIVAL, Mechanical Metal keyboard, Boogie Bug Aimb mouse pad.

16 minutes ago, Colexd said:

I heard its pretty good. You can overclock to around 3.7-3.9 with it on the 1600.

It might be capable of the overclock, but benchmark suggests it struggles, and this is only compared with a cheap 212 cooler.

90deg is too high for me!

Capture.JPG

13 minutes ago, Frazzledoodle said:

It might be capable of the overclock, but benchmark suggests it struggles, and this is only compared with a cheap 212 cooler.

90deg is too high for me!

Capture.JPG

That's because its oc'd to 4.0 and the stock cooler can't handle that much, 3.7/3.8 would have much lower temps or you could get an aftermarket one if you want higher clocks and cooler temps.

All very bad advise unless you need a new PC today or within the next 6 months i'd wait for coffee lake having 6 high IPC Cores that can OC to 4.4+ is well worth it over a Ryzen 1600

2 minutes ago, jdwii said:

All very bad advise unless you need a new PC today or within the next 6 months i'd wait for coffee lake having 6 high IPC Cores that can OC to 4.4+ is well worth it over a Ryzen 1600

I think this is the way I'm swaying currently, cba to wait but I think its the only way to be sure

Not only that but i expect Ryzen 1600 prices to drop once coffee lake comes out i actually even think Ryzen 7 will see a price drop over it. 

Having 15% more IPC and having 15-20% more overclocking headroom you are talking 30% more per core performance way nicer. As you mentioned no worry about this or that software just use it and it works. 

I own Ryzen 7 1700 i'd be happy to have coffee lake 6 cores we can think Amd for coffee lake IMO