1440p vs 4K which is best?

yoshiii

Hello,

I am building a pc for 3D design, graphic design, animation, rendering, content creation and gaming,.

Had a 1440p monitor before, great.   With video cards better than before, is it worth going 4K now?  Is it worth going higher than 60hz?  

I wll purchase a IPS monitor.

What's your system specs?

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Just now, Zando Bob said:

What's your system specs?

I will purchase a 1600x or 1700 Ryzen cpu system.

I will have at least 16gb of ram.  Want the 1080Ti but not sure if can get it now, will probaby have a 1050-1070 until then.  

Just now, yoshiii said:

I will purchase a 1600x or 1700 Ryzen cpu system.

I will have at least 16gb of ram.  Want the 1080Ti but not sure if can get it now, will probaby have a 1050-1070 until then.  

For gaming with anything lower than a 1080 (unless you want to turn down settings, then a 1070 can run 4K), I'd go with 1440p. What size display do you want? And do you want a retina level display, or just a nice crispy one?

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

The only thing is 10Bit colour and as true to RGB as you can get, only games need Gsync gaming monitors, less color authentic but fast.

8 minutes ago, yoshiii said:

Is it worth going higher than 60hz?  

not really for you

8 minutes ago, yoshiii said:

I am building a pc for 3D design, graphic design, animation, rendering, content creation and gaming,.

go for 4k, a good IPS monitor, use a color calibrator, for specs ryzen 1700( or 1800x)+ 1080ti. 

For pure content creation, 4k. 1440p only exists as a bump over 1080p gamer res that doesn't really exist outside that.

2 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

For gaming with anything lower than a 1080 (unless you want to turn down settings, then a 1070 can run 4K), I'd go with 1440p. What size display do you want? And do you want a retina level display, or just a nice crispy one?

Display will be at least 27in.

1 minute ago, LucasRem said:

The only thing is 10Bit colour and as true to RGB as you can get, only games need Gsync gaming monitors, less color authentic but fast.

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

not really for you

go for 4k, a good IPS monitor, use a color calibrator, for specs ryzen 1700( or 1800x)+ 1080ti. 

Would it be best to have a separate monitor for gaming?

4k is good now? 

For contect creativity,video editing and all that stuff you cannot even imagine how much a 4k display helps.Otherwise stick with the 1440p.

Just now, yoshiii said:

Display will be at least 27in.

4k is good now? 

4K monitors are great. If you're planning on getting a 1080 ti, you'll be fine at that res. And 5K looks amazing at that screen size, so I'm assuming 4K will look really good as well. 

Main PC 

Just now, InsanityWolf said:

For contect creativity,video editing and all that stuff you cannot even imagine how much a 4k display helps.Otherwise stick with the 1440p.

Ok, well maybe 4K ok, not playing high frame rate games. 

30in is the least smallest I should buy?

7 minutes ago, yoshiii said:

4k is good now? 

yes, long as you get a good monitor. 

sure, it will depend on what types of games you play. 

Ok, well maybe 4K ok, not playing high frame rate games. 

30in is the least smallest I should buy?

If there is a certain monitor that has exactly everything that you need but is 28in then I would go for that but preferably 30in or bigger.

10Bit colour has nothing to do with IPS, it's color dept support, can be supported on OLED and QBIT or what ever, IPS too.  Just as HDR, very important for editing, you need extreme contrasts and true colors. Check the Display port too, HDMI 2.0 can be good too. QHD or 4k is just a minor thing, a tast thing, you need the red or the blue M&M? A hatchback or a coupe? Grandpa's trunk? Tempered Glass engine door?

28 minutes ago, LucasRem said:

10Bit colour has nothing to do with IPS, it's color dept support, can be supported on OLED and QBIT or what ever, IPS too.  Just as HDR, very important for editing, you need extreme contrasts and true colors. Check the Display port too, HDMI 2.0 can be good too. QHD or 4k is just a minor thing, a tast thing, you need the red or the blue M&M? A hatchback or a coupe? Grandpa's trunk? Tempered Glass engine door?

So you are saying that it doesnt matter 1440p or 4K or meaning only that it doesnt matter IPS?   I know IPS comes in different types.  Look only for the 10bit color? 

1 hour ago, yoshiii said:

So you are saying that it doesnt matter 1440p or 4K or meaning only that it doesnt matter IPS?   I know IPS comes in different types.  Look only for the 10bit color? 

10 bpc color depth isn't super important, it's quite a niche thing and is not used by most programs or content. If you don't know whether you need it or not, you probably don't.

6 hours ago, LucasRem said:

Yeah, I'm not sure we should push him towards a 10-bit panel. He's mentioned that he wants to game, so that'd make him have to buy a Quadro capable of gaming at 4K. I don't think that's in the budget here.

7 hours ago, yoshiii said:

Hello,

Had a 1440p monitor before, great.   With video cards better than before, is it worth going 4K now?  Is it worth going higher than 60hz?  

I wll purchase a IPS monitor.

Personally, I'd stick with 1440p, unless the graphic design and CAd software you're using supports proper DPI scaling. Even then, Windows, MacOS, and Linux still don't properly scale all their UI elements for 4K, or even 1440p sometimes. I went with a 27" 1440p monitor because it was cheaper, but more so because I cannot stand crappy DPI scaling when I'm trying to get work done.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

16 hours ago, kirashi said:

Personally, I'd stick with 1440p, unless the graphic design and CAd software you're using supports proper DPI scaling. Even then, Windows, MacOS, and Linux still don't properly scale all their UI elements for 4K, or even 1440p sometimes. I went with a 27" 1440p monitor because it was cheaper, but more so because I cannot stand crappy DPI scaling when I'm trying to get work done.

So there are still problems with scaling with 4K?

14 hours ago, yoshiii said:

So there are still problems with scaling with 4K?

Depending on the program and OS you use, absolutely. Windows and macOS are getting better, but Adobe CC apps still scale horrifically, as do a lot of games (save for Minecraft) and even native UWP Windows Store Apps. However, if you can work past this, then go for 4K as it does give you more screen space to work with.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

On 8/7/2017 at 1:37 AM, kirashi said:

Depending on the program and OS you use, absolutely. Windows and macOS are getting better, but Adobe CC apps still scale horrifically, as do a lot of games (save for Minecraft) and even native UWP Windows Store Apps. However, if you can work past this, then go for 4K as it does give you more screen space to work with.

What if I buy a 4K and switch to 1440p resolution when playing games or working on some programs?

2 hours ago, yoshiii said:

What if I buy a 4K and switch to 1440p resolution when playing games or working on some programs?

If the monitor downscales well, then that's an option. I know that Dell's UltraSharp and HP's Business monitors both render text and UI elements nicely even when running at a downscaled resolution, as long as it's the same ratio. Monitors made by Acer don't do so well usually, similar to how everything looks like crap on an Apple iMac or MacBook display if you don't run them at native resolution. (I have an older gentleman who needs to run his 21.5" iMac at a lower resolution. Although everything becomes larger, it also becomes blurry as hell.)

23 minutes ago, kirashi said:

If the monitor downscales well, then that's an option. I know that Dell's UltraSharp and HP's Business monitors both render text and UI elements nicely even when running at a downscaled resolution, as long as it's the same ratio. Monitors made by Acer don't do so well usually, similar to how everything looks like crap on an Apple iMac or MacBook display if you don't run them at native resolution. (I have an older gentleman who needs to run his 21.5" iMac at a lower resolution. Although everything becomes larger, it also becomes blurry as hell.)

How are Asus monitors?

2 minutes ago, yoshiii said:

How are Asus monitors?

Their consumer models are OK, but their PB, PA, and PG series are amazingly good.

PB is their business series, and usually include a USB hub and a decent adjustable stand.

PA is their Pro Art creative series, and usually trade off the USB hub from the PB series for a more color accurate screen.

PG is their gaming series, and are apparently amazing, although I've never owned or used one.

We have 2 PA screens, a PB screen, and a 27" 1440p consumer screen in our house. Despite the lower color accuracy, I actually use the 27" screen as my daily driver, and find that 1440p is the sweet spot for my needs.

Just now, kirashi said:

Their consumer models are OK, but their PB, PA, and PG series are amazingly good.

PB is their business series, and usually include a USB hub and a decent adjustable stand.

PA is their Pro Art creative series, and usually trade off the USB hub from the PB series for a more color accurate screen.

PG is their gaming series, and are apparently amazing, although I've never owned or used one.

We have 2 PA screens, a PB screen, and a 27" 1440p consumer screen in our house. Despite the lower color accuracy, I actually use the 27" screen as my daily driver, and find that 1440p is the sweet spot for my needs.

I had the PB27Q before( The 1440p 27in IPS monitor that came out a couple of years ago, and it was nice.

I am deciding between buying that again, or going 4K. I will use my pc for graphic design, 3D design, animation, rendering, content creation and gaming.