A reason not to get the Pre-Production Threadrippers?

WMGroomAK
6 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

For AMD, I don't see the point of risking the reputation of their new architecture over the sell of a few pre-production units. Because these pre-production units are tested and tortured, AMD can't guarantee their reliability in the long term. To us enthusiasts that could be getting these chips for cheap, that's fine. For AMD, if these units fail and reports come out that these chips are unreliable (remember, the mainstream media doesn't care about details), it's going to be hard for AMD to climb out of this hole that could've been avoided. 

The scenario I'm imagining, as is happening with Intel CPUs historically, is not that those samples are provided by Intel to end users, but whoever Intel seeded the units to later disposing of them. There has been speculation they are not necessarily authorised to do so, but still it happens. Basically unless AMD keep a very tight track and get all pre-production samples back, chances are some will eventually make it out to open market.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible