Looking at Threadripper; General questions...

Hey guys,

I am currently running a fairly new system (built it last November). I have the Intel 6800k CPU with a Corsair Corsair Hydro Series H115i cooler. Here is my current entire setup via PC Parts Picker:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/liberty610/saved/#view=G48RsY

I have started reading up on the AMD Threadripper, and I am VERY interested in the AMD RYZEN Threadripper 1950X 1(6-Core / 32 Threads). I have a beautiful board picked out for it as well.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113447&cm_re=AMD_Ryzen-_-19-113-447-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813145030&cm_re=x399-Gaming_7-_-13-145-030-_-Product

My question is, what is the cooler ordeal for these bigger Threadripper CPUs? I just bought that Corasir luquid cooler, and I really don't wanna shelf out for another cooler. But I know the threadripper CPUs are way bigger. Not sure if Corsair is releasing an upgrade for this cooler for it or not....

Any thoughts? Any reason I shouldn't be looking to go this route? I can upgrade my current CPU to the 10 core Intel 6950k, but it's still cheaper to buy a threadripper and a new board buy a couple hundred. I do a lot of gaming and content creating from full HD video editing for things like weddings and events, and music production. 

It's a physically large surface so new coolers need to be designed to cover it adequately 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I was watching this earlier.  Looks like it is kind of a wait and see situation. 

Just out of curiosity, what will you do with a threadripper set up you can't with the X99?

23 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

I was watching this earlier.  Looks like it is kind of a wait and see situation. 

Just out of curiosity, what will you do with a threadripper set up you can't with the X99?

I'm kinda of a geek/enthusiast overall with a pretty flexible budget, but I do work in streaming and Full HD video editing. I have a FUll HD Sony NX100 video camera. Do wedding videos, party/event coverage, ect. The Videos are 50mbps files at 1080p 60fps. 

am always looking at faster render times in Vegas Pro and Handbreak, and I am starting to do live streaming content during some gaming sessions. From the research I have done online, the threadripper CPUs look like they are going to be a big deal for content creators. I also do a good amount of gaming, but I know gaming won't utilize this CPU much, but like I said, I am into content creating and I am just an interested enthusiast. 

Well I do know that Threadripper comes with an adapter to allow some AIO's to be used. 

Look here : https://www.amd.com/en/thermal-solutions-threadripper

but I wouldn't be that hopefully of how well it cools it lol maybe send it bk and get a AIO when there made for the Threadripper not just ones that are adapted to fit it sort of lol 

I7 7700K @5.0ghz, Asus Z270-P, Corsair H115i, hyperX 16gb, Asus duel 1070, Nzxt H440

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZTsYD8

11 hours ago, Brett_Bst said:

Well I do know that Threadripper comes with an adapter to allow some AIO's to be used. 

Look here : https://www.amd.com/en/thermal-solutions-threadripper

but I wouldn't be that hopefully of how well it cools it lol maybe send it bk and get a AIO when there made for the Threadripper not just ones that are adapted to fit it sort of lol 

Thanks Brett! I did see that my cooler is on AMD's site as compatible. And every threadripper CPU comes with the needed bracket to mount the coolers, but when I called Corsair about it, they said they have not officially tested my cooler for the Threadrippers yet. But they did say they are looking to make an announcement soon because they are pretty excited about it.
I put a pre-order in for the board and the CPU in hopes I won't have to plunk money on a new cooler for it as well, but if I have too it won't be the end of the world. I won't be looking to really overclock it right away if at all, so I am hoping my cooler will be alright.

Any of you have an opinions on Threadripper yet? I know the official benchmarks are not out yet, but I can't imagine that the higher end 16 core Threadripper isn't worth it for me. The Intel CPU I can upgrade to as almost 20 less PCIe lanes and 6 cores less. I have M.2 SSD and 3 PCI cards for graphics/video capture. Would really like the extra lanes....

My other concern is, I know some applications don't scale well across 2 dies. I don't know much about that, but I want the same gaming performance I have now, but I also want Handbrake and Vegas to render video faster. 

I think Threadripper is looking awesome. even though your cooler is compatible you may want to upgrade to a TR4 specific cooler when they come available for better temps under OC.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

I do think Threadripper looks good but going by AMDs other bench marks before release I don't think it will be as high as there saying but we will see, there is just a lot of hype around the Threadripper even though the cpu is the size of a car, won't be long before intel stick 4 7700Ks together and call it the threaddestoryer lol 

I7 7700K @5.0ghz, Asus Z270-P, Corsair H115i, hyperX 16gb, Asus duel 1070, Nzxt H440

Sorry to hijack this thread but why is threadripper on a X399 platform? I thought the XXXX platform was Intel? When I first heard about a new "X399 platform" after getting back from vacation, I thought it was Intel's new platform lineup haha, looks like it belongs to threadripper xD

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

48 minutes ago, SeanAngelo said:

Sorry to hijack this thread but why is threadripper on a X399 platform? I thought the XXX platform was Intel? When I first heard about a new "X399 platform" after getting back from vacation, I thought it was Intel's new platform lineup haha, looks like it belongs to threadripper xD

Yh intels new one was X299 so AMD went one better lol to X399, maybe intels next one will be X499 lol 

1 hour ago, SeanAngelo said:

Sorry to hijack this thread but why is threadripper on a X399 platform? I thought the XXX platform was Intel? When I first heard about a new "X399 platform" after getting back from vacation, I thought it was Intel's new platform lineup haha, looks like it belongs to threadripper xD

xD that's exactly what AMD was hoping for, and if they can trick people who know tech, you know they'll definitely trick people who don't :P 

People will look at x299, and then x399 and be like "well obviously that's the newer better one so I'll go with that"

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

xD that's exactly what AMD was hoping for, and if they can trick people who know tech, you know they'll definitely trick people who don't :P 

People will look at x299, and then x399 and be like "well obviously that's the newer better one so I'll go with that"

Along with "B350"

Suprised they didn't make "H310" "H370" "Z370" "P350" etc

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

1 hour ago, Brett_Bst said:

Yh intels new one was X299 so AMD went one better lol to X399, maybe intels next one will be X499 lol 

At first I thought the two companies joined up or something hahaha xD

42 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I was thinking they did it just to wind up Intel or something. I'm surprised Intel haven't said or done anything regarding it xD well, after all, Intel doesn't own the XXXX name anyway :P

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

5 hours ago, Brett_Bst said:

I do think Threadripper looks good but going by AMDs other bench marks before release I don't think it will be as high as there saying but we will see, there is just a lot of hype around the Threadripper even though the cpu is the size of a car, won't be long before intel stick 4 7700Ks together and call it the threaddestoryer lol 

The Threadripper options for me are still better then any Intel options, especially for the price. Like I stated, I do a lot of video editing and rendering in pro applications like Vegas, and I also do some gaming. For the price of the motherboard and threadripper 16 core, it's still almost $200 cheaper for just the Intel 6950k - it's only a 10 core CPU with 40-ish lanes on it.

Even if Threadripper isn't exactly as beastly as AMD says, it's still looking to be the best option for me if I want more balls in my system, because Intel's stuff is always waayy over priced. I will either pay $1400 to $1500 for the 6950k (which I don't want to do) or I buy another high end Intel board for $300 or more and then pay another $1200+ for the next bigger Intel chip. I'll be stretching the wallet pretty good as it is doing the $380 board and the $999.00 threadripper. And all the guys I have watched videos from (Linus, Jays2cents, ect) are all excited and looking to build Threadripper builds...

As far as the cooler I have goes, I won't be overclocking it at first anyways. I'll wanna make sure the base clock runs stable and what not first. I'll eventually upgrade to a better cooler though for sure.

19 hours ago, Liberty610 said:

The Threadripper options for me are still better then any Intel options, especially for the price. Like I stated, I do a lot of video editing and rendering in pro applications like Vegas, and I also do some gaming. For the price of the motherboard and threadripper 16 core, it's still almost $200 cheaper for just the Intel 6950k - it's only a 10 core CPU with 40-ish lanes on it.

Even if Threadripper isn't exactly as beastly as AMD says, it's still looking to be the best option for me if I want more balls in my system, because Intel's stuff is always waayy over priced. I will either pay $1400 to $1500 for the 6950k (which I don't want to do) or I buy another high end Intel board for $300 or more and then pay another $1200+ for the next bigger Intel chip. I'll be stretching the wallet pretty good as it is doing the $380 board and the $999.00 threadripper. And all the guys I have watched videos from (Linus, Jays2cents, ect) are all excited and looking to build Threadripper builds...

As far as the cooler I have goes, I won't be overclocking it at first anyways. I'll wanna make sure the base clock runs stable and what not first. I'll eventually upgrade to a better cooler though for sure.

No one is saying that the AMD is better for the price but me I don't think intel will take it laying down they will do somethink, it's all well and good paying the money for the AMD cpu and bored of you have all the other parts up to the same spec for max performance. One more thinng jay and Linus are excited as they would be building a new pc, who wouldn't be excited @16 cores lol it's about time intel had done competition in the HEDT area 

Ok guys, so here is what is going on. I am in a position where I can keep my current board and CPU as a back in case the Threadripper setup doesn't pan out for whatever reason. So I went ahead with the pre-order. I have a couple questions regarding backing up my current OS drive, and applying paste to my cooler for Threadripper if anyone has any feedback on that.

A refresher: I have the Ryzen Threadripper 1950X CPU on the way:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16...

And the Gigabyte Aorus X399 Gaming 7 motherboard:

My current and updated PC setup is here, with the boot drive being the m.2 Samsung 950 PRO drive
https://pcpartpicker.com/b/BqHhP6

With Threadripper and the motherboard itself being new products, I am well aware of the possible bugs, issues, hiccups, and pitfalls that may come with it. The upside to this is, I am in a position where I can keep my current board and my Intel I7 6800k as backup in case something does happen to not work on the Threadripper setup.

I know that with Threadripper and the new board, I will need to re-install Windows 10 and install all the drivers for the new setup. My question is, can I make a complete backup of my current OS drive in case the Threadripper setup gives me some sort of issue? That way I can just swap the boards and CPUs back and be right back where I currently? All my other hardware is on the support list/compatible with the Threadripper setup. But again, with it being a new board/cpu, there is a chance there could be bugs that need worked out, and I may not wanna wait until they are all resolved. I already have multiple backups of all my other important data, but I was wondering if it was possible to make a back up of my current OS drive just in case the Threadripper setup flops.

Also, I just bought the Corsair H115i AIO liquid cooler a couple weeks ago, and it is on AMD's website as part of the threadripper supported coolers. I am aware that with Threadripper being a larger CPU/socket, overclocking with my current cooler may not be wise, and a TR4 socket specific cooler down the road maybe needed for overclocking (I don't plan on overclocking anytime soon anyways).

However, my concern is the thermal paste application. I have installed dozes of aftermarket fan coolers on dozens of CPUs, but this is my first liquid cooler. The thermal paste was pre applied to this cooler when I bought it. I have artic 5 silver paste, and I know that I have to clean off any current excess paste from the cooler before applying the Artic 5 to the new Threadripper cpu, but is there a different approach for threadripper with it being a larger chip? Or does it not matter because the cooler size is still the same?

I know there is a on-going debate of how to apply paste, but I do the 'smaller then a pea size in the middle' method and let the heat spread it to the chip. I know not EVERYONE does it that way, and I am not looking for a debate on the topic, as this method has always worked for me on all my builds. I am just not sure if I should be looking to apply a bigger amount with Threadripper being a bigger chip. I am assuming that the only time I will need to apply more paste is if I get a cooler that was specifically designed for the TR4 socket down the road?

Any feedback would be great! Thanks everyone!

1 minute ago, Liberty610 said:

Ok guys, so here is what is going on. I am in a position where I can keep my current board and CPU as a back in case the Threadripper setup doesn't pan out for whatever reason. So I went ahead with the pre-order. I have a couple questions regarding backing up my current OS drive, and applying paste to my cooler for Threadripper if anyone has any feedback on that.

A refresher: I have the Ryzen Threadripper 1950X CPU on the way:

And the Gigabyte Aorus X399 Gaming 7 motherboard:

My current and updated PC setup is here, with the boot drive being the m.2 Samsung 950 PRO drive
https://pcpartpicker.com/b/BqHhP6

With Threadripper and the motherboard itself being new products, I am well aware of the possible bugs, issues, hiccups, and pitfalls that may come with it. The upside to this is, I am in a position where I can keep my current board and my Intel I7 6800k as backup in case something does happen to not work on the Threadripper setup.

I know that with Threadripper and the new board, I will need to re-install Windows 10 and install all the drivers for the new setup. My question is, can I make a complete backup of my current OS drive in case the Threadripper setup gives me some sort of issue? That way I can just swap the boards and CPUs back and be right back where I currently? All my other hardware is on the support list/compatible with the Threadripper setup. But again, with it being a new board/cpu, there is a chance there could be bugs that need worked out, and I may not wanna wait until they are all resolved. I already have multiple backups of all my other important data, but I was wondering if it was possible to make a back up of my current OS drive just in case the Threadripper setup flops.

Also, I just bought the Corsair H115i AIO liquid cooler a couple weeks ago, and it is on AMD's website as part of the threadripper supported coolers. I am aware that with Threadripper being a larger CPU/socket, overclocking with my current cooler may not be wise, and a TR4 socket specific cooler down the road maybe needed for overclocking (I don't plan on overclocking anytime soon anyways).

However, my concern is the thermal paste application. I have installed dozes of aftermarket fan coolers on dozens of CPUs, but this is my first liquid cooler. The thermal paste was pre applied to this cooler when I bought it. I have artic 5 silver paste, and I know that I have to clean off any current excess paste from the cooler before applying the Artic 5 to the new Threadripper cpu, but is there a different approach for threadripper with it being a larger chip? Or does it not matter because the cooler size is still the same?

I know there is a on-going debate of how to apply paste, but I do the 'smaller then a pea size in the middle' method and let the heat spread it to the chip. I know not EVERYONE does it that way, and I am not looking for a debate on the topic, as this method has always worked for me on all my builds. I am just not sure if I should be looking to apply a bigger amount with Threadripper being a bigger chip. I am assuming that the only time I will need to apply more paste is if I get a cooler that was specifically designed for the TR4 socket down the road?

^ For night theme users, like me.

I'll start reading it now.

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

2 minutes ago, Liberty610 said:

Mirror it onto something like an external drive, then if it fails mirror it back :)

3 minutes ago, Liberty610 said:

Watch this:

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

1 minute ago, JDE said:

Mirror it onto something like an external drive, then if it fails mirror it back :)

Watch this:

Thank you for this.... I couldn't seem to find it in any searches. I am just going to subscribe to this guy. He's one of my top 4 favs on youtube. Thank you for this.

Any feedback about the OS backup?

Just now, Liberty610 said:

Thank you for this.... I couldn't seem to find it in any searches. I am just going to subscribe to this guy. He's one of my top 4 favs on youtube. Thank you for this.

They has good reviews too.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

So, I'm excited to report that my motherboard and threadripper are coming tomorrow as long as there are no issues with Delivery!!!

Small hiccup though here, I just realized today that my current ram isn't on my motherboard's support list. So I was kind of wondering if that will be an issue? I thought it was on there, but the last couple letters of the model number on the support list are different then mine.

My current ram is DDR4 quad channel, and the board takes it. But I wasn't sure that with AMD Threadripper being kinda new if I should get supported modules.

THis is my Ram:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231802

And again, this is my board:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813145030

If it is recommended to get memory officially supported by the motherboard list, I find this kit that is supported, and is faster. I can swing it in my budget if I need to, but I am just not sure if it is necessary. This kit is faster though, and has RGB, which kinda tickles my geek fancy a bit.... but is it needed?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232482&ignorebbr=1

If I should get the ram kit, I have a couple hours to order it and get it her by Saturday from Amazon.

I did more research on the matter, and apparently, it should not be an issue. I guess I will have to wait until tomorrow to find out, because that is when I get my NZXT Kraken x62 cooler. My only concern with that is, I am now reading that the Kraken pump may block the first ram slot if the spacing on the motherboard is tight. Not a huge deal, as I could rotate it's placement, but I am a nit picker when it comes to how my builds look, and if I have to rotate the pump, the NZXT logo would be upside down or side ways.... I know... lol First world problems ha