Bought new X299 board and 7800x when I boot into Bios it's already at 98 celcius

So I just bought a 7800x and a ASUS ROG STRIX

X299.  When I boot into Bios it says cpu temp is at 98 degrees Celsius and then will turn off after in like 30 seconds.  Any help would be amazing!!

1 minute ago, FrodoTheRipper said:

So I just bought a 7800x and a ASUS ROG STRIX

X299.  When I boot into Bios it says cpu temp is at 98 degrees Celsius and then will turn off after in like 30 seconds.  Any help would be amazing!!

Welcome to the forum. Did... did you put a cooler on the CPU? If yes, make sure it's installed properly.

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

Funny, but you don't mention anything about a cpu cooler in your post.  Do you have one?  If you do, does it have a fan?  If it has a fan, is the fan running?

Yah I have a H100i GTX and everything with that seems to be working like normal and seems to be cool by the actual cpu.  No way that temp is actually true.

Just now, FrodoTheRipper said:

Yah I have a H100i GTX and everything with that seems to be working like normal and seems to be cool by the actual cpu.  No way that temp is actually true.

Did you make sure to remove any protective plastic on the contact plate, and that there was preapplied thermal paste on it? The PC shutting off after 30 seconds would lead me to believe that the temp reading is accurate.

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

Yah I was using it on my i7-4790k and was hitting 4.7ghx with same cooler.  I made sure it's all fit on correctly

And the q-code LED on MOBO is still lit up even after being unplugged for 20 minutes which is odd.  With just 2 0s

11 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

Did you make sure to remove any protective plastic on the contact plate, and that there was preapplied thermal paste on it? The PC shutting off after 30 seconds would lead me to believe that the temp reading is accurate.

And then I see this once inside bios 

20170803_002040.jpg

Have you tried checking which fan header the CPU fan is plugged in to?  If the CPU fan is plugged into the wrong fan header, it would still run but you would get the indication on the screen that you do saying it has a zero fan speed for the CPU fan.

3 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

Have you tried checking which fan header the CPU fan is plugged in to?  If the CPU fan is plugged into the wrong fan header, it would still run but you would get the indication on the screen that you do saying it has a zero fan speed for the CPU fan.

I moved it to slot 1 and it's still doing it

1 minute ago, FrodoTheRipper said:

I moved it to slot 1 and it's still doing it

Are you using CPU FAN header? Set them to maximum speed from the BIOS.

You should also re-apply the thermal paste.

4 minutes ago, ErrantNyles said:

Are you using CPU FAN header? Set them to maximum speed from the BIOS.

You should also re-apply the thermal paste.

I have the pump connected via cpu-fan 1.  And followed the instructions in the h100i booklet

The pump is also plugged into sata/molex for power right?  I am pretty sure the pump not having power will also cause the no cpu fan error.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

1 minute ago, TahoeDust said:

The pump is also plugged into sata/molex for power right?  I am pretty sure the pump not having power will also cause the no cpu fan error.

I did exactly how it said to do it

15017425795292122195828.jpg

14 minutes ago, TahoeDust said:

How is your CPU cooler plugged in?

2 minutes ago, FrodoTheRipper said:

How is your CPU cooler plugged in?

3 wires coming off my pump.  One is plugged into the motherboard CPU fan header - this supplies an RPM reading for the pump, one is plugged into a sata power connector - this provides power to run the pump and fans, the last one is split into two 4 pin connectors and connects to my radiator fans.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

1 minute ago, TahoeDust said:

3 wires coming off my pump.  One is plugged into the motherboard CPU fan header - this supplies an RPM reading for the pump, one is plugged into a sata power connector - this provides power to run the pump and fans, the last one is split into two 4 pin connectors and connects to my radiator fans.

This is all I have coming out of my cooler. 

15017437262371021471430.jpg

Pump failure or the connector you are using cant deliver enough power to run the pump.

7 minutes ago, FrodoTheRipper said:

the mobo will on 99% have dedicated pump header, so check manual and connect it there. Into CPU fan and CPU optional connect the two fans and the usb to the pump and the end to the mobo usb 2.0 header and see if that works. Your pump is most likely not working/ded.

LGA 2066 stuff is hot af

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

10 minutes ago, FrodoTheRipper said:

Are you sure?  I have never seen an H100i that did not have a Sata connector for power...

Look through this...  http://www.corsair.com/en-eu/blog/2013/february/how-to-install-the-hydro-series-h100i-cpu-cooler

Oh, if the MB has a voltage based fan speed control option, make sure the CPU fan is set to 100% fan speed.