Recovering Pre-Sata2 Hard drive data?

I have two nearly full 640 GB hard drives but they are so old that I don't know how to read them on my current rig. I want the data though so I can consolidate and get rid of these old hard drives... What is the 8 pin ( not 8 pin power ) socket on the right side of the hard drive opposite of the sata1 socket?

I would like to take care of this sooner than later. Do I need to purchase an external casing and adapter to accomplish retrieving this data, or is there a kind of interface that I need for the 8 pin socket on the hard drive and what is that called?

organized.jpg

Can you provide a picture of the drives and pins your referring to

I know some older sata drives had jumpers on them but I they shouldn't affect you ability to access them using the sata port of your mobo

@kalnick Yes. These are the drives. What can you make of this? My trays are hotswaps as you can see but when I 'swap' and click them into my tower they are unreadable even in BIOS. They are WD Western Digital 7200 rpm year 2008. 

IMG_0616.JPG

IMG_0618.JPG

5 minutes ago, Haxag0n said:

@kalnick Yes. These are the drives. What can you make of this? My trays are hotswaps as you can see but when I 'swap' and click them into my tower they are unreadable even in BIOS. They are WD Western Digital 7200 rpm year 2008. 

IMG_0616.JPG

IMG_0618.JPG

They appear to be standard sata drives nothing special needed

Try connecting direct to the mobo sata port. Could be you hot swap setup has a compatibility issue with the these older drives.

@kalnick alright. I will try that later when I have the focus to hook up directly to my MOBO without sneezing on it or something unfortunate. For the time being, thanks for the hint. :3

as kalnick said, the 8 pins are for jumpers. there is usually instructions on the drive sticker, or in the manual (can find online). in many cases, no jumper is default.