GUI Problems / New to FreeNAS

Hey all, having some trouble with FreeNAS's web GUI. (I had FreeNAS up before on some old hardware before I got some cheap stuff to run it off of and despite the learning curve of setting it up that first time I didn't have any problems. ) However, installing it on the newer hardware I've run into a couple of problems. Installation went well enough but the web GUI was fairly unreliable. Most consistently the "services" tab just refuses to load. Often the window on the left where it shows everything branches sometimes refuses to load as well. Occasionally switching between tabs will work and cause that left window to load but I've only gotten the Services tab to load after fiddling with it for HOURS. I'm not hugely tech savy (trying to learn!) so I'm not exactly sure where to look for solutions. My guess is that something in the networking is not set up correctly and it's not communicating well through the GUI. Through the tinkering I managed to get the Volume I had set up before (on the old hardware) and actually gotten an SMB share set up (and the setting to be turned on) and so I've gotten a shared volume that I can put stuff onto. Even when the web GUI was hosed I was still able to upload stuff to the volume.

I've tried several installations with a couple of things to trouble shoot. I had some problems installing to a USB with the old Hardware so I ended up having to install it on an old 40gb drive I had lying around. But with the new hardware I was able to install it on a flash drive. The one I used was a little bit cheap but I tried a better one and it was still having the same issues. (The 2-3 USB sticks I tried and the 40gb HD with a working installation from the old setup all still had problems accessing the "Services" tab on the GUI as well as the occasional error while going through various things in the GUI)

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. About to switch to something else which I'd rather not do and just figure out what's wrong with it. This seems like a fantastic OS and would love to learn more about it.

My hardware in case that helps (minus the actual drives, just place holders right now until I get it up and running and plus an old video card I had to get a video output to access the console) - https://pcpartpicker.com/user/popuptwo/saved/QWmYJx

A couple of pictures to show what I'm talking about. http://imgur.com/a/KrZM0

Also, after a bit of research I've found that this motherboard has a "Realtek" NIC built in and that may be the cause of the problem. I'm working on getting a different NIC to see if that will solve my problems.

8 minutes ago, NReiher said:

Hey all, having some trouble with FreeNAS's web GUI. (I had FreeNAS up before on some old hardware before I got some cheap stuff to run it off of and despite the learning curve of setting it up that first time I didn't have any problems. ) However, installing it on the newer hardware I've run into a couple of problems. Installation went well enough but the web GUI was fairly unreliable. Most consistently the "services" tab just refuses to load. Often the window on the left where it shows everything branches sometimes refuses to load as well. Occasionally switching between tabs will work and cause that left window to load but I've only gotten the Services tab to load after fiddling with it for HOURS. I'm not hugely tech savy (trying to learn!) so I'm not exactly sure where to look for solutions. My guess is that something in the networking is not set up correctly and it's not communicating well through the GUI. Through the tinkering I managed to get the Volume I had set up before (on the old hardware) and actually gotten an SMB share set up (and the setting to be turned on) and so I've gotten a shared volume that I can put stuff onto. Even when the web GUI was hosed I was still able to upload stuff to the volume.

I've tried several installations with a couple of things to trouble shoot. I had some problems installing to a USB with the old Hardware so I ended up having to install it on an old 40gb drive I had lying around. But with the new hardware I was able to install it on a flash drive. The one I used was a little bit cheap but I tried a better one and it was still having the same issues. (The 2-3 USB sticks I tried and the 40gb HD with a working installation from the old setup all still had problems accessing the "Services" tab on the GUI as well as the occasional error while going through various things in the GUI)

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. About to switch to something else which I'd rather not do and just figure out what's wrong with it. This seems like a fantastic OS and would love to learn more about it.

My hardware in case that helps (minus the actual drives, just place holders right now until I get it up and running and plus an old video card I had to get a video output to access the console) - https://pcpartpicker.com/user/popuptwo/saved/QWmYJx

A couple of pictures to show what I'm talking about. http://imgur.com/a/KrZM0

Also, after a bit of research I've found that this motherboard has a "Realtek" NIC built in and that may be the cause of the problem. I'm working on getting a different NIC to see if that will solve my problems.

any browser plugins active we should know about? like an ad blocker or anti-scripting?

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

I use Google chrome with Adblock plus but that's it (only other plugin I have is better twitch tv but that shouldn't affect it). I've tried it with Firefox with no plugins and have had the same problems. I can give it a shot with chrome without Adblock to see if that was interfering in any way.

19 hours ago, NReiher said:

I use Google chrome with Adblock plus but that's it (only other plugin I have is better twitch tv but that shouldn't affect it). I've tried it with Firefox with no plugins and have had the same problems. I can give it a shot with chrome without Adblock to see if that was interfering in any way.

Are both Firefox and Chrome fully up to date with the latest versions?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Have you tried sshing ( or using the direct console) into the machine and looking at the error logs?  I think they're in the /var/log directory.