Online search for 'suicide' soars after Netflix teen drama airs – research

Okjoek
1 hour ago, paddy-stone said:

I also think that they shouldn't decide anything though before properly considering the alternatives and trying to overcome any difficulties in their lives.

Do you really think someone in the state of mind that's considering suicide, is actually thinking rationally enough to consider alternatives?  That's why intervention in these cases is so important, not to tell the person what to do, but to prevent them from making a tragic mistake that they can never take back.

And make no mistake, there is never a good reason for suicide.  Ever.

10 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

Do you actually have a Netflix subscription or you're watching Netflix originals from other online services other than Netflix? 

Reveal hidden contents

IMG_5669.thumb.PNG.6acd9ff16aba56cfab03a09e573ead12.PNGIMG_5670.thumb.PNG.770cb29436ca2c562b3afa72cda7cd7d.PNGIMG_5671.thumb.PNG.e34cde28eac5b627a5238a0d1c8d25a3.PNG

Some of the few

I'm subscribed for the documentaries and Shaulin Soccer.

3600X @ stocke | 5600XT TUF OC @ 1850 | 2x16 + 2x8 RAM 3200 HD | 1tb Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Lian Li 205M | TT Toughpower Grand RGB 850 | throwaway b450 asus mobo | BQ cooler

19 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Do you really think someone in the state of mind that's considering suicide, is actually thinking rationally enough to consider alternatives?  That's why intervention in these cases is so important, not to tell the person what to do, but to prevent them from making a tragic mistake that they can never take back.

So, you're telling me that I didn't think that then? I was saying that some people that are in dire straits could be thinking about suicide because of their situation, as a way out. I was saying that in that case they should consider all options... maybe I was not clear on that, for that I apologise. In my own case, yes I did consider things like that, even though in my mind I still had suicidal thoughts... and I still do occassionally. It's different for different people, we aren't all the same. If you re-read my post, you'll see I did mention preventative measures...

By the way, you tried to tell me that people considering suicide aren't thinking rationally, but went on to say about intervention... how do you intervene, without making them think rationally? 

Also, don't tell me there is no good reason for suicide, you try living with a health problem for many years, with no cure available and living in constant severe pain and then think again. There are many cases where suicide/assisted suicide, is a welcome release, not just for the person but for their families too... it's hard, but when you think of the alternatives/ quality of life type stuff, it's not a hard choice. If you had a pet even, which was in constant pain, and there was nothing you could do to help it, would you not consider euthenizing it?

Anyway, don't want to argue points about this... I know how I felt, and still feel sometimes.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

7 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

I'm pretty sure the relationship between young Christian Grey and cougar Mrs. Robinson is quite an example of an abusive relationship. Also, due to poor character development in the Anastasia character, whenever Christian will ask her to have sex is an example of thinly disguised coercion. 

That's why the books by EL James sparked an outrage even to people into BDSM. I can say this because unfortunately, I bought the three books back in 2012 oit of curiosity. 

Oh yeah, that definitely is a case of abuse. But I don't think they ever tried to glorify that at all. She was always painted as the "bad guy". I know it's not accurate to actual BDSM (i know few women who are into that; hell even gave it a shot myself). Just after reading the books myself (out of curiosity at first but actually ended up finding the story to be not bad), I just don't consider the Anastasia and christian grey relationship to be abuse. At least not in the end. You have a sadist who learns to love. Weird but interesting.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

17 hours ago, christianled59 said:

Ooor the searches went up because people decided to do more research on suicide as a result of the show.

suure ... how many times in your life have you specifically googled suicide?

a TV show that drives people to suicide just shows how fucked up the education and medical systems are in the US

Get more depressed by having nobody to have netflix-and-chill, we have a solution for that, memes. The more dank, the better.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

4 hours ago, zMeul said:

suure ... how many times in your life have you specifically googled suicide?

a TV show that drives people to suicide just shows how fucked up the education and medical systems are in the US

If you read the thread, I retracted that a few comments later. I agree, the medical and education systems in the US are shit.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

8 hours ago, Jito463 said:

I'm on the constant state of considering suicide, and murder among other things... Whenever I think about it, I get a rush, and bite my lips and constantly remind myself, "No that's bad".

You mean that people researching and learning about the subject is a bad thing? Besides can't some people just make bots to search this so they can make this kind of drama to drag publicity?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)