Is there any difference between .mkv and .mp4 when using HEVC (x265)?

Go to solution Solved by LienusLateTips,

Nope, it's just a container.

As far as I've always understood it, there've never been any real differences between file extensions outside of compatibility. I've always been told that it's just a container with practically no differences and the main differences lie in the encoder (like HEVC). 

My uncle was told that it's not "True" 4k if it's .mp4 however. I don't know where he got this information but I just wanted to make sure I'm not out of the loop here (or am, if I am). 

Anyway - is there any difference between .mkv and .mp4 of the SAME HEVC video at 4k?

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

mkv and mp4 containers both can have x265 video. If the same video is encoded at the same bitrate with the same codec, then they will be the same.

1 minute ago, JDE said:

Alright, thanks. Figured it was just online silliness or something but I just wanted to be sure I wasn't somehow missing out on info.

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

There will be some minor file size differences due to container overhead.

Like everyone else have said, mp4 and MKV are just containers. If you put a HEVC video inside an MKV file then it will look the same as if you were to put it in an mp4 file, since the video is the same.

What will differ however is what the container supports. MKV will accept almost anything you throw at it, while mp4 has a lot of restrictions on what you can put in it.