gigabit over ipv4?

Scruffy90

I just realized I can't use Ipv6 and openVPN directly on my router at the same time (router kicks back an error). Are there routers that allow for gigabit over ipv4 or would it make more sense to set up openVPN as a host on a computer(No clue how to do this)?

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

IP version has nothing to do with bandwidth

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

16 minutes ago, DXMember said:

IP version has nothing to do with bandwidth

On some routers it does. My router is capped at 450mbps when on ipv4, but hits gigabit on ipv6. This seems to be a complaint with a lot of routers i've looked at.

EDIT - Seems to be a firmware limitation on netgear routers.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

12 minutes ago, Scruffy90 said:

On some routers it does. My router is capped at 450mbps when on ipv4, but hits gigabit on ipv6. This seems to be a complaint with a lot of routers i've looked at.

EDIT - Seems to be a firmware limitation on netgear routers.

IPv6 normally operates without NAT - meaning that nearly all of the processor and memory intensive work for routing a packet is not being done. There isn't inherently anything faster for IPv6 other than not needing to use NAT.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

On 7/30/2017 at 10:51 AM, brwainer said:

IPv6 normally operates without NAT - meaning that nearly all of the processor and memory intensive work for routing a packet is not being done. There isn't inherently anything faster for IPv6 other than not needing to use NAT.

IPV6 will still go through NAT and first has to be encapsulated in a IPV4 packet then go through NAT. The internet still runs on IPV4.

31 minutes ago, Marshnt said:

IPV6 will still go through NAT and first has to be encapsulated in a IPV4 packet then go through NAT. The internet still runs on IPV4.

if the ISP only provides an IPv6 public IP, then such a translation to IPv4 will happen on the ISP's equipment, not at the local router.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

1 minute ago, brwainer said:

if the ISP only provides an IPv6 public IP, then such a translation to IPv4 will happen on the ISP's equipment, not at the local router.

Not likely a ISP would be using IPV6 and IPV4 at the same time

I know for a fact Comcast dual stacks IP's. I get a v4 and v6 address. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

You need something that is able to NAT at 1Gbit/s line speeds, for that I would look at using your own custom hardware and opensource router OS.  Vyatta, pfSense, ClearOS ,VyOS etc etc..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_router_and_firewall_distributions

Find one that best suits your needs, put your ISP's modem in bridge mode and use something suitable :)

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

20 hours ago, Marshnt said:

Not likely a ISP would be using IPV6 and IPV4 at the same time

I get IPV6 and IPV4 from Verizon

8 hours ago, Falconevo said:

You need something that is able to NAT at 1Gbit/s line speeds, for that I would look at using your own custom hardware and opensource router OS.  Vyatta, pfSense, ClearOS ,VyOS etc etc..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_router_and_firewall_distributions

Find one that best suits your needs, put your ISP's modem in bridge mode and use something suitable :)

At this point, i'm just hoping my router doesnt crap out before this gets going. I'm probably going to use older hardware to run a router OS. Just need more free time before I tackle something like this.