ISO headphones that will block neighbour kids noise

Lunasfriend

I think I need the noise isolation vs noise cancellation headphones but am not getting much help at the stores. 

I can pay up to $300 CDN and would like to get something easily available in Canada.

I have small ears, don't want bass. and would like to be able to shut out noise even if I'm not listening to music or white noise.

Too bad it's not $300 USD because Bose QC35s would be the perfect option.

if it's really bad get industrial noise cancelling headphones and put them over earbuds. good luck.

thanks for all the kind posts.  I checked out decibel levels for screaming and sure enough, it's in the hazardous zone.  this is what the kids are doing - it's not just playing.  AND they were out till 1 am.  Don't know what the mother is thinking.

I am seriously considering industrial level ear protection.

26 minutes ago, Lunasfriend said:

thanks for all the kind posts.  I checked out decibel levels for screaming and sure enough, it's in the hazardous zone.  this is what the kids are doing - it's not just playing.  AND they were out till 1 am.  Don't know what the mother is thinking.

I am seriously considering industrial level ear protection.

Noise isolation means they just try to block it, like ear plugs, etc.  Noise cancelling means they actively (using batteries) record the outside noise, and then broadcast the "opposite" into your ears so the two waves cancel out and become silence.  Sounds like you could benefit form both, but before you go making any purchases, I'd call the cops and file a noise complaint since dangerous-to-hearing levels of sound at 1 am is surely illegal, regardless of the cause.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

This is probably off topic, but I am at the point of phoning police with complaint if it happens again.   Our noise bylaw is effective 24 hours.

I checked out the Bose online but need to try them on ears first. 

1 hour ago, Lunasfriend said:

This is probably off topic, but I am at the point of phoning police with complaint if it happens again.   Our noise bylaw is effective 24 hours.

I checked out the Bose online but need to try them on ears first. 

just buy them from a local store, that way you can return if you don't like them.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Active noise cancellation is more effective on more constant, droning sounds.

Try some Etymotics in-ear monitors. There are a range of models, starting well under $100 with the older/popular stuff being around $300 (so over budget in CAD I assume). You don't get any excess bass there (except in some newer models that specifically advertise that), but with a good seal there is 35-40 dB worth of broadband isolation, much much higher than any over-ear headphone. Some industrial hearing protection on top of that would be an additional bonus.

Get some earphones you like and put some 3M Peltor eardefenders over them, you can't hear stuff happening in the same room as you with them on so stuff outside wont be a problem.

13 minutes ago, loculus said:

Active noise cancellation is more effective on more constant, droning sounds.

Try some Etymotics in-ear monitors. There are a range of models, starting well under $100 with the older/popular stuff being around $300 (so over budget in CAD I assume). You don't get any excess bass there (except in some newer models that specifically advertise that), but with a good seal there is 35-40 dB worth of broadband isolation, much much higher than any over-ear headphone. Some industrial hearing protection on top of that would be an additional bonus.

40 dB cut with industrial (probably 20 - 30 additional dB) on top of that?  lol those "kids next door" wouldn't happen to be Manowar or something would they? xD 

Hi Ryan

I would caution against Best Buy - I did buy a pair, returned them and could only get a credit not a refund.  Staples will give a full refund.