Razer introduces their first audiophile headset

gunsman

These will either be just another set of fashion headphones but I wouldn't be surprised if they turn out to actually be really good, Razer is trying really hard to be taken seriously.

Wait.... you're hoping it turns out to be shit so they get bashed and stop making shit products???

wouldn't it make more sense to hope they've already been paying attention and these turn out to be comparable to other headphones in the price range. 

If you read my entire post, you would see that I mentioned if they did well, then props?

Command Center:

Case: Corsair 900D; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition; CPU: i7-3970x; CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i; GPU: 2x ASUS DCII GTX780Ti OC; RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8x8) 2133MHz CL9; Speaker: Logitech Z2300; HDD 1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB; HDD 2: 2x Samsung 540 EVO 500GB (Raid 0); HDD 3: 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Raid 0); Monitor 1: LG 42" LED TV; Monitor 2: BenQ XL2420TE; Headphones 1: Denon AH-D7000Headphones 2Audio-Technica AD1000PRMHeadphones 3Sennheiser Momentum Over-EarHeadsetSteelseries Siberia Elite; Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RBG; Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300; Other: Macbook Pro 15 Retina (Mid-2014), PlayStation 4, Nexus 7 32GB (2014), iPhone 6 64GB, Samsung Galaxy S6 64GB

This made my day.. haven't laughed this much in a long time.

Also, anyone complaining about the 40mm drivers: It's not the size that matters but the quality of the drivers.

In general terms, driver size only factors for bass performance. Most Sennheiser headphones as far as I'm aware use drivers that's around 40mm although I'm not 100% as they don't actually list it in their specifications.

50mm drivers is often just marketing on gaming products and similar niche products. It's not really more relevant than the amount of megapixels on a camera or the amount of RAM in a gaming rig I'd say.

------------------------ Liquidfox R3 ------------------------

Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact – Corsair AX860i – Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero – AMD Ryzen 7 5900X – Nvidia GTX1070 Founders

Fuckin' love the looks of these, but i highly doubt that these will be good for other people than bassheads.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

anyone complaining about the 40mm drivers: It's not the size that matters but the quality of the drivers.

Ha, this is just an excuse for men with small headphones....   :P:D

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

We dont know how it sounds until we actually get one. Although, it does look like were paying a large chunk just for that sexy finish

I think they're going to sound quite like a combination of M50s and custom one pros. They're going to be okay, but lacking in mid range. They'll suit electronic music more most likely.

As people have said already, history does tend to repeat itself, and seeing as they make gaming headsets, how can they make a pair of audiophile quality music headphones.. I don't think it's going to work. Another beats pro that can be driven easier.

1441549_394209324045900_1981948333_n.jpg

From my point of view, I can see Razer invested more on the hard carrying case and external headphone body build compared to the audio quality. To be honest, I like the design but in higher priority, I'm in for sound quality.. But in terms of sound quality Razer need to rely on software to pump up their sound quality.

ipkiQXZ.png

Isn't that pretty poor specs? I'm no audiophile, but that doesn't seem very impressive.

I dont know what your on but for a 32ohm headphone those a decent and leagues above the normal Krackens especially sensitivity wise.

We've got a pair. Unboxing/review forthcoming.

Glad to hear it. I am actually quite interested in how these are for some reason. I think it because of the metal build as normally I would never consider picking up razer headphones or headset. Also is it me or is it more of a pair of headphones with a inline mic. From the specs page the mic is more meant for mobile stuff as its a 4 pole 3.5mm jack and they dont even include a adapter to make it two 3 pole 3.5mm which is standard for desktops.

Specs have almost nothing to do with SQ.

this is not true if I showed you a pair of headphones that was significantly worse than another there would almost certainly be a difference in specs.

Only 40mm drivers? O.o

lots of headphones especially 32ohm ones have "only 40mm drivers" for very good reasons (usually)

Priced at the same point as the V-Moda M-100s I'm wearing? I haven't heard anything made by Razer even get anywhere NEAR these, so it's only natural to be highly sceptical. Predicting overpronounced, loose bass <-<

I was quite surprised at the price as well. I thought they were going to be closer to the Plantronics GameCom Commander than a nice pair of headphones as thats what razer normally goes for. I have a headset and a pair of headphones that are at this price point and this sits much closer to the headphones since it only has a in line mic. Even if they do sound a fair bit better than the normal krackens, which linus should be able to tell us since he uses a pair on the live stream, I still think their over priced due to the razer branding by ~$50. If they could included a proper headset mic the $300 price might be understandable as it would sit closer to the beyerdynamic MMX300 or something like that. What would have been even better is take a mic like on the GameCom Commander and put it on there. I dont think it would really look out of place because of the already beefy design it has.

Well steelseries did the same thing with Siberia Elites. Everyone selling headphones in the hundreds of dollars range and not worth over $50. Looks like they're putting more effort into the looks of products these days rather than performance. It's just disappointing that's all.

I wouldnt put these in the same area as the siberia elites as those are still a true headset. Its true they went for better looks but the sound quality did improve and hopefully the mic as well (i havnt head anything about it yet).

1441549_394209324045900_1981948333_n.jpg

From my point of view, I can see Razer invested more on the hard carrying case and external headphone body build compared to the audio quality. To be honest, I like the design but in higher priority, I'm in for sound quality.. But in terms of sound quality Razer need to rely on software to pump up their sound quality.

With what you posted there I didnt see anything about software... I appreciate a carrying case especially a good one with headsets like the one I got with the gamecom commander. I how ever never really use one with headphones as usualy if I have the headphones with me im using them. If you add in the fact that these dont have a real mic that would be getting in your way if you wore them normally and I really doing know how much I would use the case personally. The one this I really wish they would have done if their going for build quality would have been to do away with the foldable earcups as that is a major failure point.

would i spend 300 bucks on headphones by established brands who have been in the business for decades ... or do i spend it on a company who caters to "gamers"... let me ponder for a bit.

I'm leaning towards this thought process as well. I'd like to see a reference or two from reputable sources before considering it a competitor to other products in that price bracket. I'm not claiming they aren't going to be good. I just think calling a pair of 32 ohm headphones with 3.5mm input from a gaming company like Razer "audiophile tier" is a hard sell.

I'm leaning towards this thought process as well. I'd like to see a reference or two from reputable sources before considering it a competitor to other products in that price bracket. I'm not claiming they aren't going to be good. I just think calling a pair of 32 ohm headphones with 3.5mm input from a gaming company like Razer "audiophile tier" is a hard sell.

I would just like to point out that the 1/4in or 6.3mm adapter looks to be screw on which many high end headphones have (especially 32ohm ones). I mean technically I guess their screw off but same difference.

I would just like to point out that the 1/4in or 6.3mm adapter looks to be screw on which many high end headphones have (especially 32ohm ones). I mean technically I guess their screw off but same difference.

Yeah this is true. 

Since my post was a bit loaded, allow me to clarify. Obviously the specs don't dictate the quality of the product but they do provide a bit of insight as to what Razer's envisioned usage scenario is. For example, the low impedance suggests these aren't meant to be driven by the type of amplifier "audiophiles" tend to spend big bucks for. I guess my point is that Razer isn't targeting audiophiles, they are targeting gamers and entry level audio consumers and using the term "audiophile" as a buzzword. Not a huge deal; like I said these could be a pair of solid low impedance headphones.

Yeah this is true. 

Since my post was a bit loaded, allow me to clarify. Obviously the specs don't dictate the quality of the product but they do provide a bit of insight as to what Razer's envisioned usage scenario is. For example, the low impedance suggests these aren't meant to be driven by the type of amplifier "audiophiles" tend to spend big bucks for. I guess my point is that Razer isn't targeting audiophiles, they are targeting gamers and entry level audio consumers and using the term "audiophile" as a buzzword. Not a huge deal; like I said these could be a pair of solid low impedance headphones.

I just watched linus's review and am not longer interested but am still intrigued but not $300 intrigued. I do agree with linus and as I said before it really should have had a proper mic on it and it would have been far more acceptable. I would say that they are using it as a buss word because even the brands that audiophiles used didnt use that word until recently and now from what ive seen its on their lower end models that a audiophile wouldnt consider right away.

Edit: I was glad to hear in the review that it had considerably better than normal sound for razer. O and does anyone else think a UE (ultimate ears) headset from logitech might be interesting?

ipkiQXZ.png

Isn't that pretty poor specs? I'm no audiophile, but that doesn't seem very impressive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826153122

well, I can't even look up the old specs on Razer's website since the old Kraken is just gone, but from the Newegg specs: All the specs but the sensitivity are exactly the same.  That doesn't scream "new driver" to me.

Linus's video seems to confirm that suspicion for me.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Razer

The 'Apple' of gaming gear

No. Thats ASUS and the ROG motherboards. 

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

Just because it's expensive doesn't make it "audiophile" grade, nor is it a headset. Bad thread is bad.

Looks baller, but bassy crap just like beats.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

I care more for comfort at this point. You'll get good sound quality from any headphone over 100 dollars. It's no use when your ears hurt after a while though. 

It's exactly a Kraken with a metal shell and better marketing, with still the artificially boosted bass and non-existent mids and highs

/truestory