Can anyone explain me what is Pre-sales engineer do?

GuideMe002

I'm a fresh graduate of Information Technology and I landed a job which is the Pre-Sales Engineer. The company products are more on Networking Hardware such as IP phones, Network Switches and Hub. Can anyone explain to me what is my job responsibility? Thank you in advance :)

Equality doesn't mean Justice.

Your job is sales essentially.

You work with clients to make plans for their business based on whatever your firm is trying to sell.

So they'll tell you budget, you'll make recommendations, pitch them ideas, and then draw up a plan to execute based on their needs.

3 minutes ago, GuideMe002 said:

I'm a fresh graduate of Information Technology and I landed a job which is the Pre-Sales Engineer. The company products are more on Networking Hardware such as IP phones, Network Switches and Hub. Can anyone explain to me what is my job responsibility? Thank you in advance :)

Can't you check with your employer or look at the job description? 

You should probably actually read about the job before just blindly accepting it, little life pro tip. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

5 minutes ago, VFe said:

Your job is sales essentially.

You work with clients to make plans for their business based on whatever your firm is trying to sell.

So they'll tell you budget, you'll make recommendations, pitch them ideas, and then draw up a plan to execute based on their needs.

Sales but not directly selling our items like the sales people on the mall?
Is there any career path in it?

3 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Can't you check with your employer or look at the job description? 

You should probably actually read about the job before just blindly accepting it, little life pro tip. 

Yes they explained it to me. but you know companies likes to make the job position sounds so good to be true. that's why i still ask here in the forum for your experienced two centz

1 minute ago, GuideMe002 said:

Sales but not directly selling our items like the sales people on the mall?
Is there any career path in it?

Correct. Granted companies vary but in general you won't be their actual account manager, your job is to convince them they need XYZ expensive server thing, for their business, and help plan how they'd actually use it. When it comes to actually buying the gear they'd talk to their account manager at your company, not typically you.

4 minutes ago, VFe said:

Correct. Granted companies vary but in general you won't be their actual account manager, your job is to convince them they need XYZ expensive server thing, for their business, and help plan how they'd actually use it. When it comes to actually buying the gear they'd talk to their account manager at your company, not typically you.

Great Insight. Then I need to learn how to properly make a presentation and convince our client to implement our products in their company. Also, need to have a good relationship with our clients. This job might challenge me because I'm not good in persuading others but I know the technical skills needed for this job.

Just now, GuideMe002 said:

Great Insight. Then I need to learn how to properly make a presentation and convince our client to implement our products in their company. Also, need to have a good relationship with our clients. This job might challenge me because I'm not good in persuading others but I know the technical skills needed for this job.

Yep, you have the gist of it. Use this as an opportunity to learn a new skillet(client relations)

Just now, VFe said:

Yep, you have the gist of it. Use this as an opportunity to learn a new skillet(client relations)

Is there any career path or growth in this job position?

35 minutes ago, GuideMe002 said:

Is there any career path or growth in this job position?

There is but it's pretty narrow. If you did it long enough you could become a senior consultant for your firm, or start your own. Consultant is kinda a catch all, you can move to a lot of positions from a senior consultant if you have the relevant skills.

so you scored a job but you dont know what it is. that is awesome!

Starting out you will be pushing papers, completing forms, matching dependencies and sanity checking orders; basically doing the crap the salesmen dont have time to do because they are too busy getting the money.

you can have an awesome career. If your personality is compliant with the rest of the business you should be able to move into sales which pays really well or you can move into more corporaty positions.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

16 minutes ago, VFe said:

There is but it's pretty narrow. If you did it long enough you could become a senior consultant for your firm, or start your own. Consultant is kinda a catch all, you can move to a lot of positions from a senior consultant if you have the relevant skills.

Sounds good. Being an IT consultant would be awesome.

8 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

so you scored a job but you dont know what it is. that is awesome!

Starting out you will be pushing papers, completing forms, matching dependencies and sanity checking orders; basically doing the crap the salesmen dont have time to do because they are too busy getting the money.

you can have an awesome career. If your personality is compliant with the rest of the business you should be able to move into sales which pays really well or you can move into more corporaty positions.

They only test my technical skill that's why I've got the job. but they didn't interview me with my know how about the exact job position. Thank you. Hoping to learn more when i get to start next week.