I want to get a 3d printer

EunSoo

Hello, so I am interested in getting a 3d printer. I would like it to be able to print at least 300*300*200mm but it would be very nice to have 500mm length. I realize that is rather big for a consumer 3d printer but I don't need it to be very smooth or whatever the proper term is. It is mostly for prototyping. My budget is 1k usd so I am probably looking at kits. I would definitely appreciate an easy to assemble kit as I only want to be spending at most 2 afternoons assembling it and I have no prior experience or knowledge of this kind of thing. Any suggestions or advice on what I should get? Thanks

Creality CR-10, look at RC lifes review and many others it's pretty good electronics wise and print quality is meant to be great. Before long you'll be designing your own printer, I want to build a hyper cube but don't have the money right now. 

he's also doing a contest if you want you can enter it here: https://gleam.io/CrVQB/3d-printers-giveaway

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

6 hours ago, SCGazelle said:

Hello, so I am interested in getting a 3d printer. I would like it to be able to print at least 300*300*200mm but it would be very nice to have 500mm length. I realize that is rather big for a consumer 3d printer but I don't need it to be very smooth or whatever the proper term is. It is mostly for prototyping. My budget is 1k usd so I am probably looking at kits. I would definitely appreciate an easy to assemble kit as I only want to be spending at most 2 afternoons assembling it and I have no prior experience or knowledge of this kind of thing. Any suggestions or advice on what I should get? Thanks

I have only heard positive things from the CR-10 and for $400 it's a very good printer for the price. You could always get a genuine prusa printer with your budget but from what I understand the quality is very similar. Prusa also has multiple filament printing capabilities as an add-on that you can purchase. Look around and do some research before you buy.

Prusa i3 mk2. You think you need a 300mm^3 build area, but I can almost guarantee that you do not. Most prints are just a few hours and no larger than 100mm^3.

ASU

On 7/27/2017 at 1:48 PM, werto165 said:

Creality CR-10, look at RC lifes review and many others it's pretty good electronics wise and print quality is meant to be great. Before long you'll be designing your own printer, I want to build a hyper cube but don't have the money right now. 

he's also doing a contest if you want you can enter it here: https://gleam.io/CrVQB/3d-printers-giveaway

On 7/27/2017 at 6:45 PM, Sebastian Kurpiel said:

I have only heard positive things from the CR-10 and for $400 it's a very good printer for the price. You could always get a genuine prusa printer with your budget but from what I understand the quality is very similar. Prusa also has multiple filament printing capabilities as an add-on that you can purchase. Look around and do some research before you buy.

That looks very promising. I've done some research and it looks like what I want. Thanks for the suggestion!

13 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

Prusa i3 mk2. You think you need a 300mm^3 build area, but I can almost guarantee that you do not. Most prints are just a few hours and no larger thman 100mm^3.

I do have a project that I know is going to be 165x459mm. I could try scaling it down or putting it at some weird angle. And then I have a project that is going to take a while to perfect and its 250x250x150mm. So I think I'll end up getting the cr-10. I'm not getting it so I can print random crap. It's mostly for prototyping my stuff. Thanks for the insight though.

Just now, SCGazelle said:

That looks very promising. I've done some research and it looks like what I want. Thanks for the suggestion!

I do have a project that I know is going to be 165x459mm. I could try scaling it down or putting it at some weird angle. And then I have a project that is going to take a while to perfect and its 250x250x150mm. So I think I'll end up getting the cr-10. I'm not getting it so I can print random crap. It's mostly for prototyping my stuff. Thanks for the insight though.

Are you buying a printer for two projects, or are you buying one as a tool?

ASU

On 7/27/2017 at 0:31 PM, SCGazelle said:

for something that size i would look into something like a rostock max v3 kit

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz