i7 7800X overclocking

6 minutes ago, Vizie said:

I can't "be like that" but when I'm the one making a thread for help with OVERCLOCKING I get a ton of people telling me that AMD is better and that I should've bought that instead? Haha!

That's when you politely tell them "I am happy with what I have, just need some help getting the most out of it". Irrational fanboys will exist no matter where you go. 

If you are happy with your purchase decision (and judging by your reaction after getting it overclocked, I'd say you seem to be) then nothing else matters. Nothing anyone can say should take away the fact that you are satisfied with your hardware. I only warn you against "being one of those guys" because extreme fanboy-ism only hurts you in the long run. People get so blindly devoted to the brands themselves, that they pay less attention to what they actually get as a consumer. At the end of the day, it's your job as a consumer to get the most for your dollar, regardless of what others tell you about "their brand being better".

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

On 7/27/2017 at 2:51 AM, Vizie said:

Hello.

I just bought a Intel i7 7800X after destroying my last motherboard (which had a i7 4790k) and I'm having trouble with gaming on this as I'm getting lower FPS compared to my old CPU. I tried the "Ez-Tuning" in BIOS on my new motherboard and it did wonders. I got way higher FPS but in CS:GO i got bluescreen a few times so I switched it off. Could anyone here please help me with overclocking my 3.5ghz 7800X to maybe 4 - 4.1 ghz? Thanks in advance.

- Vizie

Honestly, X299 should be avoided at any cost.

I would get R7 1700 or 1800X, which would be very happy with Kraken and decent mobo Asus Crosshair 6 Hero (Seriously avoid MSI) costs $250. You will get much better performance. If you plan to keep the hot potato, then you cant OC at all because these chips are extremely hot and require at least 240mm AIO to not hit TJmax under a noticeable overclock. 

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

1 hour ago, dave_k said:

I would higly recommend getting R7 1700 or 1800X, which would be very happy with Kraken and decent mobo Asus Crosshair 6 Hero (Seriously avoid MSI) costs $250. You will get much better performance. If you plan to keep the hot potato, then you cant OC at all because these chips are extremely hot and require at least 240mm AIO to not hit TJmax

Please tell me this is a joke.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

1 hour ago, dave_k said:

I would get R7 1700 or 1800X, which would be very happy with Kraken and decent mobo Asus Crosshair 6 Hero (Seriously avoid MSI) costs $250. You will get much better performance. If you plan to keep the hot potato, then you cant OC at all because these chips are extremely hot and require at least 240mm AIO to not hit TJmax under a noticeable overclock. 

Ahem, please see below:

22 hours ago, Vizie said:

Just got done overclocking this beast of a CPU thanks to @done12many2 the overclocking GOD. I'm currently chilling on a conservative 4.4Ghz @ 1.1v and I'm loving it! Gaming is a piece of cake for this CPU! All you AMD boys can eat it as this platform is the future. Get in line :)

Thanks again, @done12many2. You are the realm MVP. God.

22 hours ago, done12many2 said:

Ha! I'm glad you are happy bud. Remember, there is a TON of potential left in that CPU for overclock, so when you up the cooling, make sure you take advantage of that. 

He hasn't completed a long-term stability test, but did run some HWBOTx265 4k encoding and RealBench to put a mild AVX load on the chip. 

He is not using an offset and his 4.4 at 1.1v is actually more than he needs for voltage to ensure that he doesn't have stability problems until he has more time to drop voltage after further testing. 

With the types of loads he's placing on his CPU, a long-term RealBench test is going to be more than enough. 

His cache is running at 3 GHz (up from the stock 2.4) and he's running a positive offset voltage of 0.05v.  We only did that because Asus boards love to ramp up VCache high when you overclock Cache, but leave the voltage on auto. I suspect that we'll be able to drop the offset voltage to 0.001v or even run negative offset after more testing. 

Hope that helps bud. 

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

6 hours ago, dave_k said:

Nice memes, dude :)

• 5 months later...

Sorry guys to replay to this old topic. But i also got a question.

I Also own a i7-7800X. And im every happy how it perform. 1080P60fps with a lot of editing, exporting only 3/4 of the power is used.:x

My i7 is not overclock. is still at 3,5GHZ. My question is if i don't overclock it does the life of my i7 last longer?

• 8 months later...
On 7/26/2017 at 8:51 PM, Vizie said:

Hello.

I just bought a Intel i7 7800X after destroying my last motherboard (which had a i7 4790k) and I'm having trouble with gaming on this as I'm getting lower FPS compared to my old CPU. I tried the "Ez-Tuning" in BIOS on my new motherboard and it did wonders. I got way higher FPS but in CS:GO i got bluescreen a few times so I switched it off. Could anyone here please help me with overclocking my 3.5ghz 7800X to maybe 4 - 4.1 ghz? Thanks in advance.

- Vizie

I overclocked mine last night to 4.9 ghz

Sincerely,

Caleb/Beast Man/OG KUSH

p.s. I don't smoke it just feels right!