i7 7800X overclocking

Hello.

I just bought a Intel i7 7800X after destroying my last motherboard (which had a i7 4790k) and I'm having trouble with gaming on this as I'm getting lower FPS compared to my old CPU. I tried the "Ez-Tuning" in BIOS on my new motherboard and it did wonders. I got way higher FPS but in CS:GO i got bluescreen a few times so I switched it off. Could anyone here please help me with overclocking my 3.5ghz 7800X to maybe 4 - 4.1 ghz? Thanks in advance.

- Vizie

Haha a Ryzen 1600 which costs half is better at gaming:

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Shimejii said:

Return your CPU and MOBO and get a 7700k and z270 motherboard if you can. If not then theres a few guides up, generally it depends on the cooler on it

Kinda want to try out this platform as I'm sure there will be a way to get good power out of this chip. I'm just unexperienced. I wouldnt know where to search for OC guides as I've never been a "overclocker" :/

Just now, Vizie said:

Kinda want to try out this platform as I'm sure there will be a way to get good power out of this chip. I'm just unexperienced. I wouldnt know where to search for OC guides as I've never been a "overclocker" :/

what is your CPU cooler?

Just now, Shimejii said:

what is your CPU cooler?

NZXT Kraken x42

Just now, Vizie said:

NZXT Kraken x42

your probably not going to be able to Overclock that much on skylakex then, most chips are Extreemly hot and require a 240 at least, but you can try 

and do something similar. 

Just now, Shimejii said:

your probably not going to be able to Overclock that much on skylakex then, most chips are Extreemly hot and require a 240 at least, but you can try 

and do something similar. 

Yeah, I heard that aswell. Thing is when I used the "Ez-Tune" and got 4.27Ghz i was chilling at like 40-45C when gaming which is nothing :o 

Yeah sadly you picked not a good gaming CPU, you might not be able to overclock to 4.1-4.2 at all if you lost the silicon lottery. The 7700K would of been a much better choice for gaming, nothing faster than it in games.

I summon @done12many2 He can get you up and running.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

1 minute ago, Max_Settings said:

Yeah sadly you picked not a good gaming CPU, you might not be able to overclock to 4.1-4.2 at all if you lost the silicon lottery. The 7700K would of been a much better choice for gaming, nothing faster than it in games.

just felt like going backwards to buy something old if you get me :S

1 minute ago, VagabondWraith said:

I summon @done12many2 He can get you up and running.

Thank you! 

Just now, Vizie said:

just felt like going backwards to buy something old if you get me :S

Well what yo bought we not old, that's the latest stuff, it's just that X299 is not good for gaming, Z270 is better for gaming.

Btw. My RAM is supposed to run at 3200mhz but it was running at 2166. In BIOS I just set the frequency to 3200mhz. It isnt anything wrong with that right?

10 minutes ago, Vizie said:

Thank you! 

I have the 7820X but he's much more technical than me. :D He'd be able to help you get your rig up to spec and running. :)

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

Just now, VagabondWraith said:

I have the 7820X but he's much more technical than me. :D He'd be able to help you get your rig up to spec and running. :)

Thats awesome. Also do you know just fast before I fry my RAM. Setting just frequency to 3200mhz is ok right? As its rated for that.

1 minute ago, Vizie said:

Thats awesome. Also do you know just fast before I fry my RAM. Setting just frequency to 3200mhz is ok right? As its rated for that.

Yep, that's perfectly fine. The IMC (memory controller) is amazing on these chips. I've seen some people hitting 4266. :o I'm going to pick up some new TridentZ Skylake-X memory chips when they come out later this year. ?

Just now, VagabondWraith said:

Yep, that's perfectly fine. The IMC (memory controller) is amazing on these chips. I've seen some people hitting 4266. :o I'm going to pick up some new TridentZ Skylake-X memory chips when they come out later this year. ?

But why would people use "XMP" when you can just choose a speed (that the card can have)?

1 minute ago, Vizie said:

But why would people use "XMP" when you can just choose a speed (that the card can have)?

XMP is what your memory is rated for out of the factory. Choosing anything higher would be overclocking. Honestly, I've never OC'd memory before. Hell, I just got into CPU overclocking with X299. xD That is my next thing to learn though. I'm still getting the basics down of CPU overclocking. :) 

5 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

XMP is what your memory is rated for out of the factory. Choosing anything higher would be overclocking. Honestly, I've never OC'd memory before. Hell, I just got into CPU overclocking with X299. xD That is my next thing to learn though. I'm still getting the basics down of CPU overclocking. :) 

Okay. I dont really understand that XMP stuff so I just told my 3200mhz Corsair Vengeance LED to run at 3200mhz cause they were not from factory for some reason.

1 hour ago, Vizie said:

Hello.

I just bought a Intel i7 7800X after destroying my last motherboard (which had a i7 4790k) and I'm having trouble with gaming on this as I'm getting lower FPS compared to my old CPU. I tried the "Ez-Tuning" in BIOS on my new motherboard and it did wonders. I got way higher FPS but in CS:GO i got bluescreen a few times so I switched it off. Could anyone here please help me with overclocking my 3.5ghz 7800X to maybe 4 - 4.1 ghz? Thanks in advance.

- Vizie

https://www.techspot.com/review/1450-core-i7-vs-ryzen-5-hexa-core/

" If you care at all about value, the Ryzen 5 1600 is clearly the way to go. This is why we recently named it the best value performance desktop CPU. It was unlikely that the Core i7-7800X was going to change that, but we hoped the performance would at least be a compelling reason to buy Intel's new six-core processor.

Ryzen will hit 4GHz with the box cooler but it will be a more mild experience with a $20 aftermarket cooler like the Cooler Master 212, so keep that in mind. The 7800X on the other hand cannot be overclocked to 4.7GHz using a 240mm AIO closed loop solution. Instead, it required a $380 custom loop setup to achieve that result."

If you want Intel, go with the 7700k... The 7800x is just not a very good gaming processor. Return the motherboard and CPU, and get something that fits your needs better.

Or grab a Ryzen CPU with even more cores and threads... there are actually too many good choices out there for you to stay with a CPU that had to be overclocked to 4.7GHz to keep up with a mid range R5 1600 @ 4GHz (which it can do with the stock air cooler). The R7 1700 can also do this clock speed but with 8 cores and 16 threads...

Careful of bleeding edge tech, sometime you get cut.

AMD RYZEN 7 5800X3D \ Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite \  32GB 3600 G.SKILL Neo \  Gigabyte RTX 4080 Gaming OC \  Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo \  NVMe 2TB Samsung 990 Pro, SATA 4TB Samsung 970 Evo  \  WINDOWS 11 PRO 

It never troubles the wolf how many the sheep may be. ~Publius Vergilius Maro circa 50BC

2 minutes ago, Wyre said:

https://www.techspot.com/review/1450-core-i7-vs-ryzen-5-hexa-core/

" If you care at all about value, the Ryzen 5 1600 is clearly the way to go. This is why we recently named it the best value performance desktop CPU. It was unlikely that the Core i7-7800X was going to change that, but we hoped the performance would at least be a compelling reason to buy Intel's new six-core processor.

Ryzen will hit 4GHz with the box cooler but it will be a more mild experience with a $20 aftermarket cooler like the Cooler Master 212, so keep that in mind. The 7800X on the other hand cannot be overclocked to 4.7GHz using a 240mm AIO closed loop solution. Instead, it required a $380 custom loop setup to achieve that result."

If you want Intel, go with the 7700k... The 7800x is just not a very good gaming processor. Return the motherboard and CPU, and get something that fits your needs better.

It cannot be that bad dude. There is alot of people who love their X299 builds and I'm going to be that way aswell as soon as I learn a bit about overclocking.

5 minutes ago, Vizie said:

It cannot be that bad dude. There is alot of people who love their X299 builds and I'm going to be that way aswell as soon as I learn a bit about overclocking.

Well good luck to you, because the 7700k walks all over the 7800x. You will need some serious cooling if you plan on doing any real overclocking on that platform. Careful with voltages as well. there are a few people that have cooked their 7800x processors in less than 1.3 volts.

processor that was used in the article to compete against a R5 1600 @ 4GHz. The 7800x died after the testing... 

AMD RYZEN 7 5800X3D \ Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite \  32GB 3600 G.SKILL Neo \  Gigabyte RTX 4080 Gaming OC \  Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo \  NVMe 2TB Samsung 990 Pro, SATA 4TB Samsung 970 Evo  \  WINDOWS 11 PRO 

It never troubles the wolf how many the sheep may be. ~Publius Vergilius Maro circa 50BC

2 hours ago, Vizie said:

You'll be fine man.  The 7900X I had was completely fine for gaming.  I also have a very high clocking 7700K and I was more than impressed with 7900X.  Unfortunately, I couldn't stand the BIOS layout of the motherboard I had so I returned it and the CPU and will buy them again once the Asus Apex is released.  

Most people commenting have little or no experience with the platform and are simply parroting something they watched in a YouTube video somewhere.  It's the LTT way.  

I'll shoot you a PM to see if I can help. 

2 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

Psssshhhh. That 7800X should get to 4.6-4.7 easy. Pushing further with start to require some luck.

7800X doesn't get hot either. It's only 6 cores. When I had mine (briefy) at 5.0ghz it would draw around 200W in Cinebench. That's not difficult to cool at all. 

Gaming performance will be hit and miss until people start updating things for the new cache design. And by "miss" I mean still better than a 1600, but not as good as a 7700K. Also, this really only matters at really high framerates, if you're not there then it's not going to matter.

OP, start at 4.5 and 1.3v with AVX -3 and AVX512 -5. Then just up the multiplier until that voltage won't cut it anymore. Once that happens, drop back down to the last multiplier that worked and start reducing voltage from there until you find the point where it becomes unstable.

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C