GTX 1080 or GTX1080Ti

Hi,

I just finished my build with the following parts:

• CPU
    Intel Core i5 7600 4x 3.50GHz So.1151 TRAY
  • Motherboard
    Asus STRIX H270I Gaming Intel H270 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 Mini-ITX Retail
  • RAM
    16GB (1x 16384MB) Crucial Ballistix Sport LT grau DDR4-2400 DIMM CL16-16-16 Single
  • GPU
    Onboard at the moment
  • Case
    Cougar QBX Mini-ITX
  • Storage
    256GB Samsung 850 PRO 2.5" (6.4cm) SATA 6Gb/s MLC Toggle (MZ-7KE256BW)
  • PSU
    650 Watt Seasonic FOCUS Plus Modular 80+ Gold
  • Display(s)
    ASUS VX248H 24" Full HD 1ms
  • Cooling
    Arctic Liquid Freezer 120
  • Keyboard
    Bulk
  • Mouse
    Bulk
  • Sound
    Onboard
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro

My question is with which Graphics Card should I go 1080 or 1080Ti and which Brand?
I'm not going to play 4K games and no VR at the moment maybe later. 

Thanks in Advance

That's a mid-range 1080 60fps build, with a 60Hz monitor.

If you do not plan to go 4K, either go RX580, GTX1060 6GB or AT VERY BEST GTX1070.

1080 or 1080Ti are useless (and with that CPU, even more)

1 minute ago, chirkov990 said:

Hi,

I just finished my build with the following parts:

• CPU
    Intel Core i5 7600 4x 3.50GHz So.1151 TRAY
  • Motherboard
    Asus STRIX H270I Gaming Intel H270 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 Mini-ITX Retail
  • RAM
    16GB (1x 16384MB) Crucial Ballistix Sport LT grau DDR4-2400 DIMM CL16-16-16 Single
  • GPU
    Onboard at the moment
  • Case
    Cougar QBX Mini-ITX
  • Storage
    256GB Samsung 850 PRO 2.5" (6.4cm) SATA 6Gb/s MLC Toggle (MZ-7KE256BW)
  • PSU
    650 Watt Seasonic FOCUS Plus Modular 80+ Gold
  • Display(s)
    ASUS VX248H 24" Full HD 1ms
  • Cooling
    Arctic Liquid Freezer 120
  • Keyboard
    Bulk
  • Mouse
    Bulk
  • Sound
    Onboard
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro

My question is with which Graphics Card should I go 1080 or 1080Ti and which Brand?
I'm not going to play 4K games and no VR at the moment maybe later. 

Thanks in Advance

If you have the budget for it. I wouldnt see my self on Full HD with 1080Ti though. I would go with 1440p panel on 1080 , seems like a sweet spot.

8 minutes ago, ErrantNyles said:

That's a mid-range 1080 60fps build, with a 60Hz monitor.

If you do not plan to go 4K, either go RX580, GTX1060 6GB or AT VERY BEST GTX1070.

1080 or 1080Ti are useless (and with that CPU, even more)

7600 is fine lol, it may not be the 5ghz 7600k or 7700k but nontheless it will do just fine in most games... Dont spew bad information.

1 minute ago, Shimejii said:

7600 is fine lol, it may not be the 5ghz 7600k or 7700k but nontheless it will do just fine in most games... Dont spew bad information.

It'll be fine, yes. More than playable at 60FPS.

But a 1080 and 1080ti will most DEFINETLY not be able to flex all the muscle it as on that res and framerate.

An i5 Will bottleneck both cards at higher refreshrates at 1080p.

Allthough he wont notice that at all at 60fps anyways.

I do kind of agree with @ErrantNyles, OP will buy a GPU he can't utilize fully. A 580 or 1060 would be the perfect fit, maybe a 1070.
But as YOU say, it'll do fine.

1 minute ago, MVPernula said:

It'll be fine, yes. More than playable at 60FPS.

But a 1080 and 1080ti will most DEFINETLY not be able to flex all the muscle it as on that res and framerate.

An i5 Will bottleneck both cards at higher refreshrates at 1080p.

Allthough he wont notice that at all at 60fps anyways.

I do kind of agree with @ErrantNyles, OP will buy a GPU he can't utilize fully. A 580 or 1060 would be the perfect fit, maybe a 1070.
But as YOU say, it'll do fine.

So what if I upgrade to i7 later, is it better now to invest for better GPU and after a year maybe upgrade my CPU.

20 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

yes it is fine, but a gtx 1070 and a gtx 1080ti will perform the same when paired with it the i5 7600 on a 1080p 60hz monitor (and honestly very similar to a 1060)... so there is no sense spending literally twice as much on a GPU which is going to perform identically to a significantly cheaper GPU.

Its not bad information, its just not sane to be flushing that kind of money down the toilet.

Just now, chirkov990 said:

So what if I upgrade to i7 later, is it better now to invest for better GPU and after a year maybe upgrade my CPU.

in a year there will be much better GPU's available on the market as well. save your money and invest then in both CPU and GPU, and maybe a monitor or something as well.

Just now, Zyndo said:

in a year there will be much better GPU's available on the market as well. save your money and invest then in both CPU and GPU, and maybe a monitor or something as well.

Alright what do you think should I go with Asus, Gigabyte, Zotac, EVGA or MSI for 1070

Just now, chirkov990 said:

Alright what do you think should I go with Asus, Gigabyte, Zotac, EVGA or MSI for 1070

whichever one floats your boat. no one is really "better". If your motherboard has AURA support, perhaps a 1070 Asus STRIX would be sensible for the built-in AURA RGB support, but honestly you can get any card you want. They're all 1070's and they will all perform like a 1070. Get one you think looks good, or is affordable, or whatever other reason you feel you want to buy it for. Maybe take a look at reviews/benchmarks to see which is the quietest if that is important to you.

2 minutes ago, chirkov990 said:

Well think of this.

What you have now, the 7600 is one of the more recent CPU's. A perfectly fine gaming CPU.

You play at 1080p 60fps, getting an i7 and a 1080ti at that resolution and framerate is.. Sad.

It would be like getting a racing car engine to slap it in an old Prius.

You would basically have horsepower you cant see or utilize.

If you want the 1080 or 1080ti my recommendations are AT LEAST a 1080p 144hz monitor, but here your CPU would bottleneck you.

The best place you could be at if you upgrade is basically CPU+GPU and monitor. Preferably 1440p to use up those GPU's.

Becuase what you're aiming at is enthusiast grade right now.

8 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

yes it is fine, but a gtx 1070 and a gtx 1080ti will perform the same when paired with it on a 1080p 60hz monitor (and honestly very similar to a 1060)... so there is no sense spending literally twice as much on a GPU which is going to perform identically to a significantly cheaper GPU.

Its not bad information, its just not sane to be flushing that kind of money down the toilet.

^ This precisely.

For what OP has right now he shouldn't get anything higher than a 1070.

2 minutes ago, MVPernula said:

^ This precisely.

For what OP has right now he shouldn't get anything higher than a 1070.

Tossed an edit in my previous comment to include the CPU, as that is relevant to my statement as well.

5 minutes ago, MVPernula said:

The best place you could be at if you upgrade is basically CPU+GPU and monitor. Preferably 1440p to use up those GPU's.

He could also just step up to 4k 60hz gaming if he wants to. the i5 7600 could handle that adequately and the 1080/1080ti would be more at home in such a high resolution.

1 minute ago, Zyndo said:

He could also just step up to 4k 60hz gaming if he wants to. the i5 7600 could handle that adequately and the 1080/1080ti would be more at home in such a high resolution.

That is true. I don't recommend 4K gaming to anyone though.. Games aren're really optimized for it yet.

That is true. I don't recommend 4K gaming to anyone though.. Games aren're really optimized for it yet.

please do not use that word if you don't know what it means. resolution scaling has very little to do with optimization (except in the rare cases of a game like NieR:Automata where running the wrong resolution can make the game crash). 4k is demanding, definitely, and it can be difficult for even top tier GPU's to keep up sometimes in some titles, but it has nothing to do with "optimization"

I'm so confused ... who would buy locked i5 CPU and pair it with 1080 ti?

And also buy AIO cooler for that locked CPU? Why lol

I would suggest you to spend a bit more on your CPU and get i7 ... even if it's locked.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

7 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

please do not use that word if you don't know what it means. resolution scaling has very little to do with optimization (except in the rare cases of a game like NieR:Automata where running the wrong resolution can make the game crash). 4k is demanding, definitely, and it can be difficult for even top tier GPU's to keep up sometimes in some titles, but it has nothing to do with "optimization"

No I meant that specifically, some games aren't well optimized for it yet.

Take League of Legends as an example, playing at anything above 1080p makes the UI super tiny without ability to change it, same goes for CSGO.

Mouse in LoL becomes so small you lose track of it during teamfights, I know this becuase I used it myself.

Take League of Legends as an example, playing at anything above 1080p makes the UI super tiny without ability to change it, same goes for CSGO.

Mouse in LoL becomes so small you lose it during teamfights, I know this becuase I used it myself.

I think, there is a way in League Of Legends to scale up the UI so. But i dunno with CS:GO

1 minute ago, Roman848 said:

I think, there is a way in League Of Legends to scale up the UI so. But i dunno with CS:GO

There is, but check this out as reference:

Like he said:
"HUD scale and chat scale are set to 100 (the highest) in these screenshots"

So as a conclusion I should take that I have bought a wrong CPU and Monitor and I shouldn't go with Graphics more that 1070. 

2 minutes ago, chirkov990 said:

So as a conclusion I should take that I have bought a wrong CPU and Monitor and I shouldn't go with Graphics more that 1070. 

Something like that, yes.

14 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

8 minutes ago, MVPernula said:

Mouse in LoL becomes so small you lose track of it during teamfights, I know this becuase I used it myself.

Or have I completely misunderstood something?

2 minutes ago, MVPernula said:

Like he said:
"HUD scale and chat scale are set to 100 (the highest) in these screenshots"

Yeah, i see what you mean, even if the minimap and the UI is relatively normal size, the mouse and the nametag with healthbar isn't. But that's not the only game that suffers from these type of problems.

Just now, Roman848 said:

Yeah, i see what you mean, even if the minimap and the UI is relatively normal size, the mouse and the nametag with healthbar isn't. But that's not the only game that suffers from these type of problems.

That's why I don't recommend play ing at 4k just yet.

When I played games at 4K, no matter which settings I used it didn't feel right.

Things didn't look right, some things scaled wrong and lots more. Even when I downscaled to 1080p things got messed up.

Was not a very satisfying experience.