Google to put auto-playing videos in its search result

GoodBytes
1 minute ago, mr moose said:

Chicken egg issue nowadays.  If people start using the alternatives they will get better, but people aren't going to swap until they are better.  

I don't see how they would need users to make things better.

What they need are brilliant people to put in time and effort into making it better.

8 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I miss the old yahoo and altavista.

Ah, so you are a masochist? I won't judge you.

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

I don't see how they would need users to make things better.

What they need are brilliant people to put in time and effort into making it better.

Ah, so you are a masochist? I won't judge you.

More users means more clicks (not assuming they will load up with ads but a free service has to be paid for somehow), which means they can afford more personnel and hardware for indexing.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

10 minutes ago, mr moose said:

More users means more clicks (not assuming they will load up with ads but a free service has to be paid for somehow), which means they can afford more personnel and hardware for indexing.

That's like saying you won't start making YouTube videos before you got at least 50,000 subscribers.

This is clearly not a chicken and egg problem. It is a "we don't want to take any risks so we won't bother" problem if the reasoning is the same as what you presented.

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

That's like saying you won't start making YouTube videos before you got at least 50,000 subscribers.

This is clearly not a chicken and egg problem. It is a "we don't want to take any risks so we won't bother" problem if the reasoning is the same as what you presented.

I'm talking about search engines that are already in operation.  Surely duckduckgo, yahoo and god knows what else would be better engines if they had access to better resources for indexing and the like.   Resources don't fall out of the sky.  

Definitely not claiming people won't bother becasue there are risks.  Just saying that improving custom (and thus a revenue stream) will give search engines what they need to improve.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I would rather they didn't.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

I'm talking about search engines that are already in operation.  Surely duckduckgo, yahoo and god knows what else would be better engines if they had access to better resources for indexing and the like.   Resources don't fall out of the sky.  

Definitely not claiming people won't bother becasue there are risks.  Just saying that improving custom (and thus a revenue stream) will give search engines what they need to improve.

I don't think it's an issue of indexing more pages.

For example I just tried Bing to see if it had improved. I searched for Hadacamera, which is a manga I started reader a few days ago.

Bing has clearly indexed quite a few pages about the manga, because it brought up a bunch of Vietnamese websites hosting Korean scanlated versions of it. If it's indexing obscure Vietnamese websites then I find it hard to believe that it would not index the official website.

I think it's an issue of just not knowing how to rate the pages and present them, and that's an issue that can't be solved by throwing hardware and more users at the problem. That's something that needs to be coded.

I also find it hard to believe that Microsoft is in desperate need of money and can't afford to improve Bing.

DuckDuckGo is a bit more understandable since they got like 20 employees and are probably just scraping by on their revenue, but Microsoft? No. They probably just don't want to allocate that much resources because they don't see it as worth it.

2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I don't think it's an issue of indexing more pages.

For example I just tried Bing to see if it had improved. I searched for Hadacamera, which is a manga I started reader a few days ago.

Bing has clearly indexed quite a few pages about the manga, because it brought up a bunch of Vietnamese websites hosting Korean scanlated versions of it. If it's indexing obscure Vietnamese websites then I find it hard to believe that it would not index the official website.

I think it's an issue of just not knowing how to rate the pages and present them, and that's an issue that can't be solved by throwing hardware and more users at the problem. That's something that needs to be coded.

I also find it hard to believe that Microsoft is in desperate need of money and can't afford to improve Bing.

DuckDuckGo is a bit more understandable since they got like 20 employees and are probably just scraping by on their revenue, but Microsoft? No. They probably just don't want to allocate that much resources because they don't see it as worth it.

I specifically left MS out of it (I don't think MS take it seriously).   But more people requires more money. 

Sleazy move from a company that definitely doesn't need the extra advertising or money from this form of advertising. 

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

21 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

RIP data cap. 

No such thing for me :3

But yeah that would suck. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Hopefully they will be muted as default like on Steam or it would seriously suck. 

But lame cause I don't want unnecessary buffering with my slow internet while I browse multiple stuff. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I've never seen a company trying to fail as hard as Google has been for some years now. The fact that they haven't succeeded yet says something about the rest of us, I guess.

rip google.  no one will use it if they do this

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.