AMD RX Vega Fire Strike scores appear, FE scores about GTX 1080 performance

Delicieuxz
10 hours ago, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

If it's anything like Hawaii, a regular aftermarket cooler won't even do the trick. You'll basically need water cooling if you want reasonable temps and noise.

LOL, what are you talking about. Hawai never needed a water cooler. The problem with Hawai was the crappy reference design.

I am the proud owner of a sapphire R9 290 vapor-x. Also ships with significantly higher core and memory clocks.

14.png

15.png

fannoise_load.gif

Also interestingly Vega is actually quite cool running when you consider the high TDP and blower coolers that we have got so far.

People assume the chip stays hot when they see the TDP numbers.

The below test was done by Gamers Nexus to show what temperature various GPUs can maintain at a fixed noise level. The coolers were not allowed to spin up past 40dBA.

vega-fe-thermals-40dba-gpu.png

This is a very good performance from a blower cooler for a high TDP card. It means that for whatever reason Vega is very efficient at dissipating it's high heat output...

7 hours ago, Humbug said:

LOL, what are you talking about. Hawai never needed a water cooler. The problem with Hawai was the crappy reference design.

I am the proud owner of a sapphire R9 290 vapor-x. Also ships with significantly higher core and memory clocks.

14.png

15.png

fannoise_load.gif

Interesting. My 290X still puts out a significant amount of noise when I put in on full load. It doesn't get 90+ degrees hot, but it's generally hovering around 85-88. 

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-6500 / Cryorig H7 / Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H / Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz / EVGA GTX 1070 SC / Fractal Design Define R5 / Adata SP550 240GB / WD Blue 500GB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA 750GQ 

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Google Pixel XL 128GB / Jaybird Bluebuds X3 / Logitech MX Master / Sennheiser HD 598 /