TN and IPS

DeadlyPilot

Has anyone ever thought of using a two monitor setup, one being a TN pannel and another being an IPS pannel, one for the purpose of fast competitive gaming, and the other for less competitive gaming/content creation? Was just wondering if the differences between the two monitors would justify the idea of buying one of each.

3 minutes ago, DeadlyPilot said:

Has anyone ever thought of using a two monitor setup, one being a TN pannel and another being an IPS pannel, one for the purpose of fast competitive gaming, and the other for less competitive gaming/content creation? Was just wondering if the differences between the two monitors would justify the idea of buying one of each.

Personally I couldn't do it. The side by side difference in color quality, contrast would like drive me nuts. 

I tell I a difference between my TN panel I have on one computer and VA panel on another computer when I use it

No, since IMO response times don't really matter that much and I would not sacrifice color for it.

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

Having used a variety of IPS and TN monitors for gaming, I can't tell a difference in terms of responsiveness or ghosting but IPS is noticeably more vibrant and doesn't colour shift anywhere near as much. Because of that I would just have IPS for everything. 

Saying that, I have my primary monitor as TN and three auxiliary monitors which are IPS, but that's just because there were no 4K IPS GSync panels around when I bought my 4K TN GSync monitor. If I bought it later, I would have an IPS version (I'd actually have a 144Hz 1440P panel instead)

You could just get one of those 27" 1440p 144hz IPS monitor.

Best of both world. Fast response time and IPS.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

7 minutes ago, DeadlyPilot said:

yes I have a friend who doe this. he has a 27inch 1440p ips monitor and a 24inch 1080p 144hz monitor. on one he games on the other he does video editing and some graphic design. 

The monitor I use is an Acer 27" 1440p @ 60fps IPS monitor, and I think it has great picture for both gaming and non-gaming use.

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

I used to do a setup similar to this. I had a 25inch IPS as my main and a 23inch TN as a secondary. Neither are very expensive or fancy, but I like the setup just fine. 

As far as how well it would work for you, it really depends on your situation. I think it would be better to figure out what you really spend most of your time on the computer doing, get one nice monitor that does that thing well, and then maybe consider a second monitor. For example, I mostly use my computer for work, youtube videos, and video games (R6S and Witcher 3 ATM) So I like having a decent IPS main. I can game on it just fine, even in twitchier games than Siege, and while i'm not the best I could be, I don't think my response time has ever made me have less fun. Plus I get to enjoy the beauty of Witcher 3 in most of it's glory. Unless you are really into CSGO or whatever shooter you play, I don't think you will loose much in a high quality, high refresh rate IPS. Similarly, unless you really care about color grading, you won't be hindered in content creation with a nice TN panel. I lean towards IPS, but that's for my needs.

Figure out your priorities, and get one nice monitor, and maybe a cheap secondary. That's my suggestion. 

I was thinking about doing this back in 2008, when I still had my old trusty and impressive NEC CRT monitor going to an LCD based screen. At the time, IPS panels where super slow, and TN where TN.. nothing has changed since beside faster refresh rates.

That was until Dell released the Dell U2410, 2711 and 3011 series high-performance true-8-bit IPS monitors with all the bells and whistles you can ask, including a solid metal fully adjustable stand, color processor, bunch of inputs, AdobeRGB and sRGB support, color calibrated display, side-by-side picture-in-picture.... in 2009. It was using LG latest IPS tech at the time. Yes it wasn't cheap (750$ the 24inch 1920x1200 version), but still using it today, and still looks nice on the desk with its industrial design look.

Long story short, the colors destroyed any highly recommended and reviewed TN panel money could buy, and I could just not live with it. TN got returned, and that was the end of it. The panel is plenty fast. Now, is it competitive gaming ready? Of course not.. first gen high response time and low input lag IPS panels we are talking about.. and 2009 tech.

But to me, having such a monitor really makes games art style shine, and you really enjoy all the heavy work implemented by the art team. Using a TN panel, is, for me, like playing games at medium-low settings, despite set to Ultra. So that outweigh performance big time, plus I only have 1 monitor, not 2 to annoyingly switch in between. If I am not mistaken they are faster refresh rate (and definitely lower input lag than my monitor by considerable margins) IPS monitors. But if you really want the absolute fastest as you are really serious about competitive FPS gaming (and not any other genre where it doesnt' matter), then yea, get 2.

I'm probably going to keep repeating this but as far as color accuracy goes, TN and IPS have reached parity. It depends on the quality of course, but I think accuracy is largely a moot point.

It's the fact you have to face the panel head-on to retain that accuracy is the problem.

Switched from TN to IPS. Will never go back.  IPS are fast these days.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

You asked the right person. This is true story.

I used to own an Acer XG270HU 1440p 144hz TN sitting on the left, and a LG 27UD58 4K IPS 10bit sitting on the right.

Every time I moved my cursor from the 144hz to the 60hz panel I got sad.

Every time I moved my eyes from the 4k IPS to the 1440p TN I got sad.

I sold them both and got the Samsung CF791 34" ultrawide 1440p 100hz panel.

CPU: Ryzen 2 2700@ 4.0Ghz    Mobo: Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7 Wifi    Cooler: EVGA CLC 240    GPU: GTX1080 FTW DT @ 2113Mhz   PSU: EVGA 750W P2   

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C   Displays: 34" LG34UC79G, 24" Dell