What's a good cooler for a Ryzen 7 1700X?

FluffyPuppyKasey
Go to solution Solved by Damascus,
1 minute ago, will0956 said:

I wouldn't want to risk destroying a $100+ cooler, but I'd be willing to try and see if I can get it to fit

Celcius series are designed to be tinkered with but of that makes you uncomfortable one of the cheapest aio's around, the maelstrom 120t or something like that has super flexible tubing.  

If you get a 120mm aio you can actually move it to the right side 120mm bracket to see dem RAM sticks :P

A little more info: I'm planning to get this, after returning some parts (RAM, 6700k, GTX 1070)

I need an air cooler under 130mm tall (NCase M1 V5) that will be able to handle an OCed 1700X  (to about the Ryzen 7 1800x or as close as possible)?

buy a 1700 and use the stock cooler

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

The 1700 and a Pure or Dark Rock unless you want a double tower.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

5 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

unless you want a double tower.

Don't really care, TBH.

Also, the Pure Rock, and Dark Rock 3 are both way too large. (155mm, and 160mm respectively), I need one under 130mm

Buy a 1700 instead. I was using the stock cooler, but thermals weren't where I wanted them to be. Switched to an H5 Ultimate that I had from an old build, and now this thing sits pretty at 70C at 1.4v. I don't see the point of going much bigger than that for a 65W chip.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Just now, aisle9 said:

Buy a 1700 instead. I was using the stock cooler, but thermals weren't where I wanted them to be. Switched to an H5 Ultimate that I had from an old build, and now this thing sits pretty at 70C at 1.4v.

The reason I'm going the 1700X is because if I return my 6700k, It'd be $10 USD

Just now, will0956 said:

The reason I'm going the 1700X is because if I return my 6700k, It'd be $10 USD

Then I heartily recommend the 1700X. I'd still go H5 Ultimate or Fuma for air. If you want to go liquid, just grab the best 240mm/280mm AIO your wallet and case can handle. Krakens are always a safe bet.

From what i've heard the stock cooler is actually pretty decent and can get you to the max OC. Get the 1700 since the 1700-1800x are the same chip, just some are oc'd out of the box

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

Then I heartily recommend the 1700X. I'd still go H5 Ultimate or Fuma for air. If you want to go liquid, just grab the best 240mm/280mm AIO your wallet and case can handle. Krakens are always a safe bet.

The H5 Ultimate is 160mm, 30mm over what the max the NCase can house. The Fuma's better, but it's 149mm

1 minute ago, Anjelllo said:

From what i've heard the stock cooler is actually pretty decent and can get you to the max OC. Get the 1700 since the 1700-1800x are the same chip, just some are oc'd out of the box

Unless you're trying an open air setup in a very cold room, the Wraith Spire will max out (and get a bit loud) around 1.38v

2 minutes ago, Anjelllo said:

Get the 1700 since the 1700-1800x are the same chip, just some are oc'd out of the box

I know that, but I'm returning my 6700k, and as aisle9 said, for $10, and my 6700k, it's a great deal

Just now, aisle9 said:

Unless you're trying an open air setup in a very cold room, the Wraith Spire will max out (and get a bit loud) around 1.38v

TIL

Just now, will0956 said:

The H5 Ultimate is 160mm, 30mm over what the max the NCase can house. The Fuma's better, but it's 149mm

Crap, my bad. Did not see the case size limitation. I'd probably go AIO with that height limitation.

Oh ok. I'd imagine it wouldn't be very hard to cool though. How would a cryorig c7 fare?

Just now, Anjelllo said:

Oh ok. I'd imagine it wouldn't be very hard to cool though. How would a cryorig c7 fare?

I doubt that the C7 has the cooling prowess of a Spire. The C7 is a beautiful cooler and I love watching mine silently spin away atop its i5-6500, but it's a terrible cooler if you want to overclock anything bigger than a G3258.

1 minute ago, Anjelllo said:

I'd think the C1 would be better, I want as low temps, and noise as possible (current PC's like a jet engine)

Just now, aisle9 said:

I doubt that the C7 has the cooling prowess of a Spire. The C7 is a beautiful cooler and I love watching mine silently spin away atop its i5-6500, but it's a terrible cooler if you want to overclock anything bigger than a G3258.

How about the C1?

4 minutes ago, will0956 said:

I know that, but I'm returning my 6700k, and as aisle9 said, for $10, and my 6700k, it's a great deal

Oh my gosh...

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4UF39E2332

Comparable to a CM Hyper 212 EVO, but tiny and cute and stuff. If it fits, that's my pick 100% of the time.

Why not an aio? The ncase m1 can take a 120mm/240mm aio and they will outperform any tower in this size bracket.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

1 minute ago, will0956 said:

How about the C1?

Terrible value as compared to something like the NH-C14S with the fan slung under the heatsink, but even that is overkill.

Just now, Damascus said:

Why not an aio? The ncase m1 can take a 120mm/240mm aio and they will outperform any tower in this size bracket.

It'd block the RGB glory of my RAM

In all seriousness, I've heard that the NCase is hard to build in if you're using an AIO

Just now, will0956 said:

It'd block the RGB glory of my RAM

In all seriousness, I've heard that the NCase is hard to build in if you're using an AIO

I would still do it, a 240mm aio with shorter tubes (like a fractal design celcius s24 with custom cut lengths) will be better in temps and sound by an order of magnitude.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Terrible value as compared to something like the NH-C14S with the fan slung under the heatsink, but even that is overkill.

Gotcha, how about a Noctua cooler? (the C14S is too large, but the C14 looks like it'll fit

Just now, will0956 said:

Gotcha, how about a Noctua cooler? (the C14S is too large, but the C14 looks like it'll fit

The C-14S is 115mm tall if you attach the fan below the heatsink instead of above. It would serve a 1700X well. Just make sure you've got ventilation for that hot air to escape. A pretty common problem with using downdraft coolers in tight spaces is that if you don't give that hot air anywhere to escape to, it's just going to cycle around in the case and be pulled back down and blown over the CPU again. No tower means no direct escape route.

Just now, Damascus said:

I would still do it, a 240mm aio with shorter tubes (like a fractal design celcius s24 with custom cut lengths) will be better in temps and sound by an order of magnitude.

I wouldn't want to risk destroying a $100+ cooler, but I'd be willing to try and see if I can get it to fit