MG Chemicals Super Duster 152 Leaking

Go to solution Solved by MGChemicals,

Hello,

This product contains 100% HFC 152A gas, not CO2 as suggested above. CO2 does not liquefy under pressure and therefore must be packaged in steel cylinders, as opposed to aerosol cans. HFC 134A gas used to be the more common propellant in aerosol dusters, because it is 100% non-flammable, but it has become very expensive and it is a nasty global warmer so you generally only see HFC 134A dusters labeled "For use on energized equipment only" these days (as mandated by the California Air Resource Board), and 152A dusters are most common in the office / computer market.

The gas is relatively harmless, but it can be ignited under certain conditions, so just let it vent in an area away from open flames or other possible sources of ignition, and then recycle the can if possible. A lot of bottle depots take aerosol cans these days. There's no real point in trying to bag or seal the can while it is still leaking.

Intentionally discharging the product, as someone suggested, will speed up the process. 

The gas is very cold in its liquid state. Spraying a duster continuously will always cause the can to become very cold, so a continuous leak will likely have the same effect. 

A material safety data sheet for this product is located here:

http://www.mgchemicals.com/downloads/msds/english/sds-402b.pdf

Oh and don't blow it up :)

I got this air duster three months ago, its nearing the end of its life, but its starting to leak... I can hear the chemicals inside it boiling. As it's boiling, the container starts too cool a lot (picture included in attachments, please ignore the file name). Is there any suggestions on what I would be doing? Right now, It's in a tied bag outside my front door. 

post-5269-0-13788200-1385599055_thumb.jp

move it farther away from the house and don't touch it. LOL. Not much else you can do until its empty. Oh yea and don't breath it in. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Toss it

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

Blow it up.

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

I believe its the CO2 thats leaking, like if you have a CO2 gun the CO2 freezes over. But I would leave outside

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

Blow it to Oblivion

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

So basically you guys are saying that its dangerous and I should blow it up (I don't think blowing it up is legal in Richmond as we aren't allowed to light fireworks)?

Just go outside and empty the can so you can just throw it away. Not much else you can do about leaking aerosol cans

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Try sealing it or just let it leak outside and once it finishes just throw it away.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Hello,

This product contains 100% HFC 152A gas, not CO2 as suggested above. CO2 does not liquefy under pressure and therefore must be packaged in steel cylinders, as opposed to aerosol cans. HFC 134A gas used to be the more common propellant in aerosol dusters, because it is 100% non-flammable, but it has become very expensive and it is a nasty global warmer so you generally only see HFC 134A dusters labeled "For use on energized equipment only" these days (as mandated by the California Air Resource Board), and 152A dusters are most common in the office / computer market.

The gas is relatively harmless, but it can be ignited under certain conditions, so just let it vent in an area away from open flames or other possible sources of ignition, and then recycle the can if possible. A lot of bottle depots take aerosol cans these days. There's no real point in trying to bag or seal the can while it is still leaking.

Intentionally discharging the product, as someone suggested, will speed up the process. 

The gas is very cold in its liquid state. Spraying a duster continuously will always cause the can to become very cold, so a continuous leak will likely have the same effect. 

A material safety data sheet for this product is located here:

http://www.mgchemicals.com/downloads/msds/english/sds-402b.pdf

Oh and don't blow it up :)