distilled water

Go to solution Solved by SquintyG33Rs,
1 minute ago, Max_Settings said:

Try to not wash your shower for chemicals for 6 months and come back and tell me that nothing builds up in your shower or your loop. Tap water varries a ton throughout the world. It will not work for all.

funny cause i don't "wash my shower with chemicals" ever and it's perfectly fine

Is distillled water the best coolant?

If it is can yall name some dyes because I'm thinking light blue coolant for petg tubing

Just now, CyberFern0 said:

-snip-

Distilled water is like brushing your teeth with no toothpaste, would not recommend. My recommendation would be to get a properly configured coolant from a reputable company with good documentation as to what is in the coolant.

Just now, For Science! said:

Distilled water is like brushing your teeth with no toothpaste, would not recommend. My recommendation would be to get a properly configured coolant from a reputable company with good documentation as to what is in the coolant.

oh 

what are some good coolants

1 minute ago, CyberFern0 said:

oh 

what are some good coolants

EK-CryoFuel is a well-documented coolant that contains chemical biocide (methylisozolinone) and anti-corrosives (5-methyl-benzotriazole). Since you mentioned you want a blue color, I've linked in the navy blue one: https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-cryofuel-navy-blue-concentrate-100ml (to be mixed with distilled water) or https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-cryofuel-navy-blue-premix-900-ml (ready to use).

If you want a lighter blue, i THINK (please confirm @EK Luc) you can mix it with the clear coolant to lighten up the color. https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-cryofuel-clear-premix-900-ml

EK-CryoFuel is a well-documented coolant that contains chemical biocide (methylisozolinone) and anti-corrosives (5-methyl-benzotriazole). Since you mentioned you want a blue color, I've linked in the navy blue one: https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-cryofuel-navy-blue-concentrate-100ml (to be mixed with distilled water) or https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-cryofuel-navy-blue-premix-900-ml (ready to use).

If you want a lighter blue, i THINK (please confirm @EK Luc) you can mix it with the clear coolant to lighten up the color. https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-cryofuel-clear-premix-900-ml

wait the second one is premixed?

They are both "pre-mixes", the first one needs to be diluted with water before use (add 900 mls of water to 100ml of concentrate), whereas the second one is already diluted and ready to use.

They are both "pre-mixes", the first one needs to be diluted with water before use (add 900 mls of water to 100ml of concentrate), whereas the second one is already diluted and ready to use.

ok ill go with the second one thanks!!!

33 minutes ago, CyberFern0 said:

Is distillled water the best coolant?

If it is can yall name some dyes because I'm thinking light blue coolant for petg tubing

it's not the best but it's by far the most convenient and cheap and you can replace it very easily every month if you wanted to.

also it doesn't have to be distilled, tap water is perfectly fine. (linus said every time they say they used distilled they were using tap water in a jug on the wan show once, the only reason they say that is to shut up the dumb comments)

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

5 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

it's not the best but it's by far the most convenient and cheap and you can replace it very easily every month if you wanted to.

also it doesn't have to be distilled, tap water is perfectly fine. (linus said every time they say they used distilled they were using tap water in a jug on the wan show once, the only reason they say that is to shut up the dumb comments)

No tap is not perfectly fine. Tap has dissolved substances in it that will corrode your loop. Only reason Linus got away with it is because his systems rarely stay assembled past the end of the video, so there was no time for corrosion. Linus should really bite his tongue for calling people who understand how metals and corrosion works "dumb".

5 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

also it doesn't have to be distilled, tap water is perfectly fine

It depends on the country, some countries have extremely hard tap water which can result in a lot of scaling in the loop which would add to the maintenance requirements.

I personally would not use tap water due to the corrosive additives the local council puts into our water.

Just now, Max_Settings said:

No tap is not perfectly fine. Tap has dissolved substances in it that will corrode your loop. Only reason Linus got away with it is because his systems rarely stay assembled past the end of the video, so there was no time for corrosion. Linus should really bite his tongue for calling people who understand how metals and corrosion works "dumb".

look again at his own system then. yes there are things in tap water it's true like some amount of chlorine and other such things. they only serve to help kill things that could grow they won't corrode anything, check your chemistry class again it's nothing to do with the water that does the corrosion it's a metal to metal reaction that only uses the water as a transfer medium. it's only because of idiots putting aluminum or zinc with copper that these things happen. so YEAH they ARE dumb.

Just now, DrMikeNZ said:

It depends on the country, some countries have extremely hard tap water which can result in a lot of scaling in the loop which would add to the maintenance requirements.

I personally would not use tap water due to the corrosive additives the local council puts into our water.

true, calcium deposit can be an issue in some countries < you will know if it's the case if you see some deposits on your shower heads i think.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

5 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

not true, our tap water is some of the top in the world

1 minute ago, Daniel Z. said:

not true, our tap water is some of the top in the world

1 minute ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

look again at his own system then. yes there are things in tap water it's true like some amount of chlorine and other such things. they only serve to help kill things that could grow they won't corrode anything, check your chemistry class again it's nothing to do with the water that does the corrosion it's a metal to metal reaction that only uses the water as a transfer medium. it's only because of idiots putting aluminum or zinc with copper that these things happen. so YEAH they ARE dumb.

true, calcium deposit can be an issue in some countries < you will know if it's the case if you see some deposits on your shower heads i think.

Try to not wash your shower for chemicals for 6 months and come back and tell me that nothing builds up in your shower or your loop. Tap water varries a ton throughout the world. It will not work for all.

1 minute ago, Max_Settings said:

funny cause i don't "wash my shower with chemicals" ever and it's perfectly fine

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

6 hours ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

-snip-

6 hours ago, Daniel Z. said:

-snip-

To be frank, advice like this on the grounds where we have no idea where OP resides, is outright irresponsible. Water hardness is variable even within a country and regardless of whether your water tap water is "top of the world", it usually does not point towards how pure the water is. Hardness is an indicator of how much calcium there is in the water, and softer water is mainly sodium. Neither is great in the context of corrosion or scaling. And no, tap water is not sterile, and is definitely not biocidal.

Coolants are not expensive and readily available even if you don't have access to distilled water. Why take the risk of ruining an expensive system just because you wanted to save on the effective $10 - this is classical false economy. 

To quote Dazmode on this very typical debate: "Wake up! It's 2016/2017. The days of poorly-made, homemade, liquids [are] already gone". 

3 hours ago, For Science! said:

To be frank, advice like this on the grounds where we have no idea where OP resides, is outright irresponsible. Water hardness is variable even within a country and regardless of whether your water tap water is "top of the world", it usually does not point towards how pure the water is. Hardness is an indicator of how much calcium there is in the water, and softer water is mainly sodium. Neither is great in the context of corrosion or scaling. And no, tap water is not sterile, and is definitely not biocidal.

Coolants are not expensive and readily available even if you don't have access to distilled water. Why take the risk of ruining an expensive system just because you wanted to save on the effective $10 - this is classical false economy. 

To quote Dazmode on this very typical debate: "Wake up! It's 2016/2017. The days of poorly-made, homemade, liquids [are] already gone".

I never said tap water was biocidal (that would be very healthy to drink i bet) and the fact it changes from place to place is why i suggested checking the shower head as an indicator. tap water might not be the best, but the reality of it is cooling fluids aren't 10$ cheap everywhere in the world either. for me tap water with an old piece of silver has work fine.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

On 22/07/2017 at 8:19 PM, For Science! said:

Yes, you could. 

Use it in both rigs. One have utopia in it. The other has ek pastel red mixed in. Not wasting money on premixed again, maybe one day but not anytime soon. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz