Afterburner not applying voltage to EVGA 980 Classified?

Hi all, 8UFF453.gif

I'm trying to get a few extra miles out of my EVGA GTX 980 Classified, before upgrading to the 1080 ti.  Not a fan of the PrecisionX software, seems buggy and the overlay doesn't seem to work half the time.  Will Afterburner apply overvoltage?  The slider is available, as I've unlocked voltage control in Afterburner settings, but it's not applying it.  The voltage stays at 1.2v.  I'm able to get 1498mhz on the core, and 3993mhz on ram at the 1.2v, but even under heavy load, the card stays in the high 60's.  So I have some headroom I would think, right?  Power and temp limit sliders are maxed at 125 & 91c.  Of the three bios settings, normal, OC, and LN2, I have it selected to overclock, which I would think is altering fan curves and tdp limits?  I called and asked a MSI rep if Afterburner would in fact apply voltage to a EVGA card, and he said no it would not, but I wasn't sure he actually understood what I was asking, as there was a bit of a language barrier. 

Appreciate any tips, thanks.  :)

My friend have had similar issue.. I think when you switch bios'es you cant use afterburner.. Go with PrecisionX (i have seen some patches for afterburner for specific problem like this)

3 hours ago, DaveImagery said:

Get Precision X and overvolt it that way. You can go all the way to 1.3V. The Classified Controller is even better though. Can tweak memory and PCI-E volts too. OCP and Vdroop is also available. 

https://eu.evga.com/precisionx/

right underneath where it says 980 Ti Classified tools download the zip which has Classified Controller

http://www.overclock.net/t/1411500/official-evga-classified-k-ngp-n-owners-club

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

13 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Get Precision X and overvolt it that way. You can go all the way to 1.3V. The Classified Controller is even better though. Can tweak memory and PCI-E volts too. OCP and Vdroop is also available. 

https://eu.evga.com/precisionx/

right underneath where it says 980 Ti Classified tools download the zip which has Classified Controller

http://www.overclock.net/t/1411500/official-evga-classified-k-ngp-n-owners-club

Yeah I'm not a fan of the Precision X software.  Does it actually go to 1.3v, or is it just reporting that it is? 

Can the Classified controller be used in conjunction with Afterburner?  I see it's only for adjusting voltages, you will still need an app to adjust frequency.

9 minutes ago, DaveImagery said:

Yeah I'm not a fan of the Precision X software.  Does it actually go to 1.3v, or is it just reporting that it is? 

Can the Classified controller be used in conjunction with Afterburner?  I see it's only for adjusting voltages, you will still need an app to adjust frequency.

The old Precision X though. Not the newer variant is still better. Precision X properly goes to 1.3V. 

Classified Controller should work with Afterburner. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

40 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

The old Precision X though. Not the newer variant is still better. Precision X properly goes to 1.3V. 

Classified Controller should work with Afterburner. 

Thanks for the help.  So far 1560mhz is stable, but I dare not go any higher on air.