Frustrated on overclocking (lol)

Hey guys, so, I've been overclocking my cpu to get the sweet spot for 4.5 with good vcore.  I ran some tests earlier before posting this.  1st test I did 4.5GHz@1.300 (seemed stable), after running aida64 I only got max of 61C after 10minutes (I was so happy because I thought I hit the jackpot).  THEN intelburntest happened and it reached max of 79C after 2 min and crashed.  I lowered the vcore then to 1.285 and still crashed.  I knew it I go any lower than 1.280 it will crash (I did all the numbers between 1.200-1.290).  I also tried 1.320 vcore with same core ratio of 45 and it didn't load at all (brought me to recovery screen).  I might need help overclocking my cpu :'< It's sad that from a trash enermax air cooling that broke down I got 4.2 stable at 1.260 vcore. . .then upgrading to a hundred bucks liquid cooling I can only get stable of 4.3 at 1.260. . Also, is intelburn test a good source for testing? should I just trust aida64?

Link to my pc specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/f32VKZ

from what i've read intel burn test is quite extreme and in many cases a very conservative test when it comes to testing the stability of an overclock. i personally wouldn't use it and rather opt for prime95 and aida64 combination. run them for long periods of time like a couple hours and see how it goes. if the temps are stable then you should be fine under normal use. also as long as pc crashes aren't a huge problem you can always stick with the overclock and just see how it runs in day to day use. if you get a crash just adjust the overclock. 

OP you should stop writing with dark fonts the majority of daily users have night theme enable rendering impossible to read what you write, if you want to look stylish just get a neutral colour like orange or something.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

OP you should stop writing with dark fonts the majority of daily users have night theme enable rendering impossible to read what you write, if you want to look stylish just get a neutral colour like orange or something.

There is a nightmode for this website? @.@ I'm still new here hehe. . .sorry about that

7 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

from what i've read intel burn test is quite extreme and in many cases a very conservative test when it comes to testing the stability of an overclock. i personally wouldn't use it and rather opt for prime95 and aida64 combination. run them for long periods of time like a couple hours and see how it goes. if the temps are stable then you should be fine under normal use. also as long as pc crashes aren't a huge problem you can always stick with the overclock and just see how it runs in day to day use. if you get a crash just adjust the overclock. 

Ok I will download Prime95. . .One thing happened though, In order for me to type this message, I lowered it to 44 ratio and 1.280 and I got mid 70s stable after 10 min of interlburntest.  But I will try 1.300 at 4.5 again with prime95.  Thanks!

also keep in mind these are stress tests and are supposed to test if the oc is 100% stable which means that some of the time they are a bit extreme to test any type of loading scenario they may encounter. in gaming its unlikely your cpu will be stress as much as it is in prime95 or aida64.

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

also keep in mind these are stress tests and are supposed to test if the oc is 100% stable which means that some of the time they are a bit extreme to test any type of loading scenario they may encounter. in gaming its unlikely your cpu will be stress as much as it is in prime95 or aida64.

I see, yeah I've heard some youtuber said it, I forgot who.  Anyways, I will crank my cpu back to 4.5 and 1.300, thanks again! I just finished downloading prime95 too.

3 minutes ago, LeeYoh said:

I see, yeah I've heard some youtuber said it, I forgot who.  Anyways, I will crank my cpu back to 4.5 and 1.300, thanks again! I just finished downloading prime95 too.

no problem. good luck on overclocking

1 hour ago, Brooksie359 said:

no problem. good luck on overclocking

Okay, 3 things.  I tested the 4.5 at 1.300 on aida for about 30 minutes and got no problems.  I tested it on prime95 and I got error right away.  2nd test: I increased the vcore (that's what the stress.txt told me) and it also got a FATAL ERROR.  On my 3rd run, I put the vcore at 1.330 stil 4.5 aaand it got errors again within 3 minutes.  I'm not sure if going above 1.350 is healthy for the cpu when I use it pretty much most of the day.  Any suggestions?

So I'm currently running at 45 core ratio with 1.340 vcore.  Played some overwatch and got max temp of 56C.  Will 1.340 vcore be safe in the long run? i.e. everyday use?

I am frustrated that you typed in invisible text. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Just now, Jumper118 said:

I am frustrated that you typed in invisible text. 

I'm sorry, I'll change colors now

2 minutes ago, LeeYoh said:

I'm sorry, I'll change colors now

Thanks I can see that now :P you should stick with 4.5ghz 1.3v. It will be perfectly stable for all games. Ibt probably uses 1 specific instruction that your cpu doesn't like. 

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

39 minutes ago, Jumper118 said:

Thanks I can see that now :P you should stick with 4.5ghz 1.3v. It will be perfectly stable for all games. Ibt probably uses 1 specific instruction that your cpu doesn't like. 

so stick to 1.300 vcore? it passed aida64 but it failed prime95 (like it always do).  Right now im sitting at 4.5 with 1.340 vcore and played gta5 and overwatch, and its been an hour and I haven't gotten any bluescreens.

Just now, LeeYoh said:

so stick to 1.300 vcore? it passed aida64 but it failed prime95 (like it always do).  Right now im sitting at 4.5 with 1.340 vcore and played gta5 and overwatch, and its been an hour and I haven't gotten any bluescreens.

yes

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

8 minutes ago, LeeYoh said:

You should be fine at that voltage. Alot people have their vcore at 1.4 but after that it seems to be more risky so at 1.34 you should be fine. If you want more info on safe vcore voltages I would look up safe voltages for skylake cpus as it is architecture specific and you want to look up your specific architecture whenever finding overclocking information. Ideally you would even look at the specific cpu to find the most relevant information.

From what I've read, 1,4V is considered a safe VCore limit. You're pretty far away of it so keep trying I guess. I don't have a Skylake CPU so can't speak from my own experiences.

Did you use a guide? At some point you might need to adjust VRING and VRIN in order for your system to be stable. If you're inexperienced you should watch/read a guide and stick to those steps. Overclocking is a time consuming task if you want to do it right. 

And imho: your system should be stable unless your ok with random BSODs. Thought my OC was stable but after a few hours (!) of gaming it crashes. So back to BIOS …

P.S.: What error codes did you get? Run Event Viewer, look for the latest critical errors, open details tab, convert that decimal BugcheckCode to Hey and check with this table: http://www.overclock.net/t/935829/the-overclockers-bsod-code-list (or a similar more current table).

P.P.S.: Loosing at silicon lottery is also always an option. Your CPU should be ok though probably for 4.6GHz or maybe even 4.7GHz. Beyond that you need quite some luck as it seems (source: quick Google research)

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

4 hours ago, bowrilla said:

From what I've read, 1,4V is considered a safe VCore limit. You're pretty far away of it so keep trying I guess. I don't have a Skylake CPU so can't speak from my own experiences.

Did you use a guide? At some point you might need to adjust VRING and VRIN in order for your system to be stable. If you're inexperienced you should watch/read a guide and stick to those steps. Overclocking is a time consuming task if you want to do it right. 

And imho: your system should be stable unless your ok with random BSODs. Thought my OC was stable but after a few hours (!) of gaming it crashes. So back to BIOS …

P.S.: What error codes did you get? Run Event Viewer, look for the latest critical errors, open details tab, convert that decimal BugcheckCode to Hey and check with this table: http://www.overclock.net/t/935829/the-overclockers-bsod-code-list (or a similar more current table).

P.P.S.: Loosing at silicon lottery is also always an option. Your CPU should be ok though probably for 4.6GHz or maybe even 4.7GHz. Beyond that you need quite some luck as it seems (source: quick Google research)

Yes, I looked on guides how to oc.  There's also a website that gives what other people use or their setup (http://www.overclock.net/t/1570313/skylake-overclocking-guide-with-statistics).  Also, even though prime95 told me there are "FATAL ERROR" and that I should go to the stress.txt.  However, I went there and only saw their FAQ.  They told me to "just increase your vcore if you keep getting this error".  So I said to myself, what if it wants me to go beyond 1.4 vcore (lol).  So yeah, I kinda wanted to just stick with what I believe is working right now.  Thanks!

2 minutes ago, LeeYoh said:

Yes, I looked on guides how to oc.  There's also a website that gives what other people use or their setup (http://www.overclock.net/t/1570313/skylake-overclocking-guide-with-statistics).  Also, even though prime95 told me there are "FATAL ERROR" and that I should go to the stress.txt.  However, I went there and only saw their FAQ.  They told me to "just increase your vcore if you keep getting this error".  So I said to myself, what if it wants me to go beyond 1.4 vcore (lol).  So yeah, I kinda wanted to just stick with what I believe is working right now.  Thanks!

Well … with your VCore of 1.260V you get a stable and working OC of 4.3GHz. 

The FAQ is absolutely right with their recommendation. If you get that error, then your OC isn't stable at that given VCore (and probably also VRING and VRIN). You have to up the Voltage(s) in order for that specific OC to work. That's perfectly fine. It's up to you how far you want to push it. Since that link you've provided is giving you a nice hint on where you'd probably have to push your VCore to in order to acchieve 4.7GHz (on average 1.380V) you can't really complain if it's not working at a much (!) lower VCore. That's not how it works. 

Did you expect to just get a better OC from using a better cooler without adjusting VCore? Your cooler gives you more thermal headroom so you can push your Voltages higher. Results are entirely dependent of your very specific chip since every (!) chip is different. Those values people posted worked for their specific chips. That doesn't mean they'll work for yours. Look at them as an indicator.

And just adjusting VCore won't give you good results at some point. To max out your OC or at least to get it stable you'll have to modify other parameters as well. A good guide should cover that.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!