AMD Ryzen 7 1700 build.

Hi everyone!

I am looking to build myself a new system based around the Ryzen 7 1700 because to my knowledge its the best bang for my buck especially since I have no interest in overclocking. I am not really a big expert on what parts go together so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of a build that would give me a decent future proof pc that can handle a good amount of multitasking and some pc gaming. Any help would be greatly appreciated because so far I found this is the best place for pc advice!

Thank you all in advance!

OH I was told It couldn't..

I didn't really have a specific budget in mind as long as it hit the best bang for my buck around that cpu I am not sure what is considered a good budget for a pc like I want .The last one I had built was in 2009 and other than a few upgrades (SSD, graphics card)  I was pretty happy with it. I am basically looking for something that can handle a multi monitor setup, Able to play the most recent games at a good framerate and be able to handle having multiple programs going at the same time. Also something that in the future I could upgrade if I wanted to say around 1000$ -1500$ canadian? does that make sense?

I think this build is quite nice. I left out the SSD and HDD, since you already have them in your current rig. This enabled me to add a GTX 1080 to this build, which handles even gaming at 4k quite nicely. As nice as the 1700 is, it isn't really necessary if you are on a tight budget. The R5 1600 handles gaming loads just as good, and 6 core cpu with 12 threads is more the sufficient for multitasking. Just a matter of opinion though, so if you want, you can of course swap the 1600 in this build for the 1700. (I would probably get the Phanteks p400s tempered glass instead then as well, just so you can see that sweet looking RGB fan :P )

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($269.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B350-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($123.50 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($174.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card  ($709.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400S ATX Mid Tower Case  ($94.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Total: $1473.45
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-20 03:38 EDT-0400

11 hours ago, honor said:

I think this build is quite nice. I left out the SSD and HDD, since you already have them in your current rig. This enabled me to add a GTX 1080 to this build, which handles even gaming at 4k quite nicely. As nice as the 1700 is, it isn't really necessary if you are on a tight budget. The R5 1600 handles gaming loads just as good, and 6 core cpu with 12 threads is more the sufficient for multitasking. Just a matter of opinion though, so if you want, you can of course swap the 1600 in this build for the 1700. (I would probably get the Phanteks p400s tempered glass instead then as well, just so you can see that sweet looking RGB fan :P )

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($269.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B350-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($123.50 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($174.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card  ($709.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400S ATX Mid Tower Case  ($94.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Total: $1473.45
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-20 03:38 EDT-0400

Thanks for the suggestion! I haven't done much research when it comes to the R5 Is there any value in having the R7 1700 over the R5 1600? I mean I am sure either of theses are miles better than I already have but say 2-3 years down the road will the R5 still be able to keep up with the R7 1700 or for the 100$ more I am better off with the R7 1700?

That build is great, BUT if you have the cash, rather go for the 1700. Build a good foundation and go for quality over quantity. I made a built based loosely around @honor's build, with changes that swap all components for those with a higher quality and more aesthetic and thus longterm appeal. Since you have upgraded your gpu once, getting the best gpu is nonsense anyway, especially in times were the gpu prices have rocketed skyhigh thanks to cryptocurrency miners... Save the money until prices drop. Nvidia will be releasing a new gpu this year anyway and Vega is also coming, which will make all of the current ones way cheaper. This is why i put in the cheapest graphics card available. Then, when the new generation of gpus will be released later this year, use te money you saved on this build and get one that is way better.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($349.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: Asus - CROSSHAIR VI HERO (WI-FI AC) ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($334.99 @ PC Canada)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($194.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1050 2GB Mini Video Card  ($144.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400 TEMPERED GLASS ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $1224.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-20 18:48 EDT-0400

6 hours ago, Criticafailgamer said:

Thanks for the suggestion! I haven't done much research when it comes to the R5 Is there any value in having the R7 1700 over the R5 1600? I mean I am sure either of theses are miles better than I already have but say 2-3 years down the road will the R5 still be able to keep up with the R7 1700 or for the 100$ more I am better off with the R7 1700?

Of course, especially since 6 core cpus are now becoming the new mainstream (Intels next mainstreamchip, the 8700k, will also have 6 cores).  But like I said, if you do really multicore intensive stuff like rendering or working in VM's,  or other things that scale with the number of cores in your cpu, go ahead and get the 1700. :) They are both great (recently built a 1700 system for my brother and he loves it).