power supply enough for overclocking

NewBieDavid
Go to solution Solved by STRMfrmXMN,
20 minutes ago, NewBieDavid said:

But even overclocking without touching the voltage settings ?
Because as far as I know you can overclock a little bit without having to raise the voltage which what cause the heating issues right ?
Maybe attempt to overclock as far as my stock voltage allows me ? 

You can try overclocking without adjusting voltage but you'll likely hit a wall pretty quickly

As i found that my power supply is causing me to crash , I also wanted a new power supply so that's a reason to upgrade.

before i start here are my Pc specs

Fx 6300 @3.5GHz

kingston 8gb ddr3 1600MHz

asus m5a78l-m le 

GTX 1050 2gb

lc power lc420-12 v2.31 350w 80+ bronze

now the reason I wanted to upgrade anyway is that I want to buy a hyper 212 evo and overclock my Fx 6300 Cpu and I know that a 350w psu is anyway unreliable .

I don't think I'm going to be upgrading my gpu anytime soon because I wan't to get a Ryzen 5 processor or Ryzen 3 (depending on the budget) So overclocking is still going to be a thing for me later on .

and MAYBE after that a more powerful gpu.

now all the 600w power supplies I see on amazon are out of my budget and I'm kinda of an aesthetics whore so black cables are important :D
and EVGA is not an option here because it's priced at 36 dollars in america but 50 bucks here in germany..

So the only psu I found to be suitable  for my budget/needs is the corsair CX450 semi modular psu for 50 bucks .

the fact that its a semi modular psu is good because I'm not using a 6 pin cable for my gpu and only running 1 hard drive and my case is an old case with no room to store the cables or cable management room.

If you think the 450w is not enough i can push my budget a little bit and go for the Be quiet pure power 8 600w none modular if really needed

what would you recommend ?

Can't get a 500W or so unit? 

That CX450 would probably explode. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Just now, DildorTheDecent said:

I mean i think I can but wouldn't a 600w be better for the future upgrades or 500 would be enough ?

2 minutes ago, NewBieDavid said:

I mean i think I can but wouldn't a 600w be better for the future upgrades or 500 would be enough ?

So a 500w 80+ bronze or a 600w 80+ white 

1 minute ago, NewBieDavid said:

So a 500w 80+ bronze or a 600w 80+ white 

Corsair CX550M or Seasonic S12II 520 watt if you're on a budget.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

2 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

Corsair CX550M or Seasonic S12II 520 watt if you're on a budget.

yeah I thought a 450w wouldn't be enough.

so my budget tbh can be between corsair cx 550m or be quiet pure power 8 600w .
Which one would you say ?

(both priced the same)

Just now, NewBieDavid said:

yeah I thought a 450w wouldn't be enough.

so my budget tbh can be between corsair cx 550m or be quiet pure power 8 600w .
Which one would you say ?

(both priced the same)

cx550m 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Just now, RKRiley said:

cx550m 

uhmm interesting ..
just out of curiosity :
wouldn't 600w be better for future proof ? 

and I always hear good things about be quiet's power supplies . 

Just now, NewBieDavid said:

uhmm interesting ..
just out of curiosity :
wouldn't 600w be better for future proof ? 

and I always hear good things about be quiet's power supplies . 

It's not as good quality, so wouldn't last as long and probably break sooner.

1 minute ago, RKRiley said:

It's not as good quality, so wouldn't last as long and probably break sooner.

ok so 550w enough for an overclocked ryzen 5 1600 and maybe later a 1060/1070 ?
Just making sure before going and buying one :P

Yep, it'll be fine for those specs.

Just now, RKRiley said:

Yep, it'll be fine for those specs.

thanks man :)

3 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

That's bologna. The CX450M would have been a perfect choice for as much overclocking he wanted to do.

6 minutes ago, turkey3_scratch said:

That's bologna. The CX450M would have been a perfect choice for as much overclocking he wanted to do.

>FX 6300

yeah nah. I'd rather not. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

1 hour ago, DildorTheDecent said:

>FX 6300

He'll be fine.. what are you on..?

An FX 6300, even if you pumped the max voltage most 970 or 990FX boards are capable of wouldn't even draw 200W. A GTX 1050 draws only PCIe power so add another 100W and he's still fine, and that's with a hell of a lot of exaggeration.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

8 hours ago, NewBieDavid said:

thanks man :)

I just realized what motherboard you're using

For the love of all things do not even begin to up the voltage on an AM3 socket board that doesn't have VRM heatsinks.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

7 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

>FX 6300

I ran an FX6300 and a R9 280 on a 380W PSU, your full of shit that a CX 450 isn't good enough.

13 hours ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

your full of shit

tru. get triggered.

20 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

I just realized what motherboard you're using

For the love of all things do not even begin to up the voltage on an AM3 socket board that doesn't have VRM heatsinks.

uhmm yeah about that ..
I wanted to make a separate thread about overclocking with my rig but since you already brought it up ..
Whats with the motherboard exactly ? 

I read threads that it can overclock and others saying no way because of how cheap it is .

How far can I overclock If I actually can ?? 

42 minutes ago, NewBieDavid said:

uhmm yeah about that ..
I wanted to make a separate thread about overclocking with my rig but since you already brought it up ..
Whats with the motherboard exactly ? 

I read threads that it can overclock and others saying no way because of how cheap it is .

How far can I overclock If I actually can ?? 

You shouldn't overclock at all. Your VRMs will overheat and potentially can start a fire.

39 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

You shouldn't overclock at all. Your VRMs will overheat and potentially can start a fire.

Because as far as I know you can overclock a little bit without having to raise the voltage which what cause the heating issues right ?

20 minutes ago, NewBieDavid said:

You can try overclocking without adjusting voltage but you'll likely hit a wall pretty quickly