Feedback on My New Build

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

the 1080Ti is an insane amount of overkill for 1080p.

it's like bringing over an aircraft carrier to stop some guy on a jetski going fast in the no-wake zone.

maybe go 1440p ultrawide @ 144Hz with a 1080Ti?

Ive never been able to see myself playing on ultrawide, I think thats a no. If I get the 1080ti now will it be a thing where I MOST likely wont have to upgrade it? I've been told by many its overkill but if it adds a big boost to fps and what not i'm happy.

the 1080Ti is an insane amount of overkill for 1080p.

it's like bringing over an aircraft carrier to stop some guy on a jetski going fast in the no-wake zone.

maybe go 1440p ultrawide @ 144Hz with a 1080Ti?

Kind of my thought. I wouldn't say ultrawide, just get a really great 1440p. Try the Dell S2417DG

Just now, Slaxc said:

Ive never been able to see myself playing on ultrawide, I think thats a no. If I get the 1080ti now will it be a thing where I MOST likely wont have to upgrade it? I've been told by many its overkill but if it adds a big boost to fps and what not i'm happy.

it does boost FPS by a lot, but getting 250FPS in games doesn't matter if your monitor is only 60Hz.

You need to decide: What resolution and refresh rate monitor do you want.

Ultrawide is awesome, but if you don't want/like it, I'd recommend normal 1440p @ 144HZ

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

1 minute ago, LyondellBasell said:

Kind of my thought. I wouldn't say ultrawide, just get a really great 1440p. Try the Dell S2417DG

24 inches is a bit small for 1440p IMO, but other than that it's perfect for a 1080Ti + 7700K

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

it does boost FPS by a lot, but getting 250FPS in games doesn't matter if your monitor is only 60Hz.

You need to decide: What resolution and refresh rate monitor do you want.

Ultrawide is awesome, but if you don't want/like it, I'd recommend normal 1440p @ 144HZ

Im really sorry I have to go back to the Ryzen thing, how would a Ryzen 1700 paired with a 1080ti compare to a 7700K paired with a 1080ti? Will they both max out on fps that my monitor can show? if you get what im trying to say

2 minutes ago, Slaxc said:

Im really sorry I have to go back to the Ryzen thing, how would a Ryzen 1700 paired with a 1080ti compare to a 7700K paired with a 1080ti? Will they both max out on fps that my monitor can show? if you get what im trying to say

with a high-refresh rate monitor, you should get the 7700K.

Ryzen is totally fine for 60Hz, but it struggles a bit in 120Hz or higher.

Desktop:

Laptop:

5 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

24 inches is a bit small for 1440p IMO, but other than that it's perfect for a 1080Ti + 7700K

I'm inclined to agree, given the available budget though I thought it was an acceptable compromise considering the added sharpness.

2 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Yes, just get the 7700K, you're not going to miss those extra cores in what you're going to be doing.

6 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3Zjcnn What do you think?

5 minutes ago, LyondellBasell said:

I'm inclined to agree, given the available budget though I thought it was an acceptable compromise considering the added sharpness.

Yes, just get the 7700K, you're not going to miss those extra cores in what you're going to be doing.

The monitor is not apart of my budget. This is just for the PC right now.

2 minutes ago, Slaxc said:

Seems great.

So have you decided on a monitor? that's the most important part you're still missing.

Desktop:

Laptop:

Seems great.

So have you decided on a monitor? that's the most important part you're still missing.

Whatever you think would work best is what I am going for, id like a fairly medium sized monitor. not too big not too small, I dont think I can do ultra wide right now. The 1440p at 144Hz seems like the best option according to you so I will look into that.

Just now, Slaxc said:

Whatever you think would work best is what I am going for, id like a fairly medium sized monitor. not too big not too small, I dont think I can do ultra wide right now. The 1440p at 144Hz seems like the best option according to you so I will look into that.

What size.

if you want 24inch, then the monitor suggested here is best:

18 minutes ago, LyondellBasell said:

Dell S2417DG

Desktop:

Laptop:

3 minutes ago, Slaxc said:

@LyondellBasell https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3Zjcnn final thoughts? if I can change anything and keep it under 1600 thats where id like to be.

You might want to change the PSU for the Corsair TX550M. Currently available for $60, and it has better voltage regulation and ripple suppression (Jonnyguru reviews for Seasonic G-550 F3 Vs Corsair TX850M).

Also, your RAM is red, which does not go well with the rest of the build.

:)

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

You might want to change the PSU for the Corsair TX550M. Currently available for $60, and it has better voltage regulation and ripple suppression (Jonnyguru reviews for Seasonic G-550 F3 Vs Corsair TX850M).

Second this, the LPX is available in white. You may not be able to get that exact discount unit, but we're only talking a few dollars here and there.

What size.

if you want 24inch, then the monitor suggested here is best:

Definitely look too small. If you don't mind I would try to give you a picture of what i am looking for in my final setup. I have a very nice laptop at the moment. I want to have a L shaped desk and have the smaller side I want to put my laptop with basic stuff such as pencils, paper, stuff for school and productivity. The main area i'd like a dual monitor setup but I cant figure out if I want them seperate or right next to eachother, One monitor will strictly be for gaming while the other is for watching youtube, school stuff, work, etc. Terrible explanation but I may go for a single ultrawide and then have a great medium sized gaming monitor next to it. Sorry lol this was a fail

5 minutes ago, seon123 said:

What do the semi and full modulars change?

6 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Note that the higher wattage units tend to have better voltage regulation. so the 850W TX unit and 550W G unit aren't really comparable.

the EVGA 500B is tier 5, while the 600B is tier 4.

Desktop:

Laptop:

Just now, Slaxc said:

What do the semi and full modulars change?

Nothing functionally.

Semi-modular has the motherboard 24-pin and EPS power connectors permanently connected, while the others are modular. this is usually fine, since you are always required to use those cables anyway, but it means you can't get Cablemod cables.

Desktop:

Laptop:

Note that the higher wattage units tend to have better voltage regulation. so the 850W TX unit and 550W G unit aren't really comparable.

I just chose the EVGA SuperNOVA 650W

Just now, Slaxc said:

I just chose the EVGA SuperNOVA 650W

That one's kinda meh.

the G-550 is totally fine.

Desktop:

Laptop:

That one's kinda meh.

the G-550 is totally fine.

Its a 2$ difference, what do you think would fit best for me, i'm not stuck to one at all

Just now, Slaxc said:

Its a 2$ difference, what do you think would fit best for me, i'm not stuck to one at all

I have a PSU tier list in my sig.

the Supernova is tier 3, while the G550 is tier 2, so it is the better PSU overall.

if you want a really good PSU, you can get the TXM Gold 2017 from corsair, which is tier 1

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/PVzZxr/corsair-txm-gold-650w-80-gold-certified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020132-na

Desktop:

Laptop:

8 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

That's true, however in this case, the difference is quite big between them. 

0.79%, 0.60% and 0.67% on the TX850M, Vs 2.7%, 1.2% and 1% on the G F3.

:)

2 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

I have a PSU tier list in my sig.

the Supernova is tier 3, while the G550 is tier 2, so it is the better PSU overall.

if you want a really good PSU, you can get the TXM Gold 2017 from corsair, which is tier 1

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/PVzZxr/corsair-txm-gold-650w-80-gold-certified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020132-na

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dg4CXH Oh man, I think were done for the most part right? Did you happen to see my message about my setup plan?