Help me pick a laptop!

Hey, 

so im going to university and i need help picking a laptop.

I really want to find a minimalist laptop like the ASUS Zenbook.

something thin, light weight, etc i do not want to be lugging a thick laptopp around to all my classes.

This might sound stupid but look are a big thing to me, i know i could go out and buy a 500$ thickpad laptop and be fine with it but like i said i really want to fund a thin light good looking laptop.   

Just trying to find the best bang for the buck/

BIG NOTE Im from Canada, i only really want to spend 1000$ MAX, So that is 800$ USD. Thanks!

i would also like to get an i7 so i can have above the minimum specs + more speed.

These are the system requirements for the class.

• Laptop: Personal computer (PC) not a Mac
  • Operating System: Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10 (if available)
  • Processor: Intel Core i5 or better (Not AMD)
  • Memory: 4 GB of RAM (8 GB preferred)
  • Hard Drive: 250 GB or larger (Solid State Drive (SSD) preferred)
  • Warranty: 3 years parts and labour (On-site preferred)
  • Other features: 2 USB ports

3 minutes ago, Foul said:

Laptop: Personal computer (PC) not a Mac

A Mac is a Personal Computer. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 hour ago, Vespertine said:

Do you really need a laptop of that calibre for university work?

if you're talking about the system requirements.. then yes.

I just have extreme paranoia that someones gonna judge me on my laptop LMAO, so i dont mind spending extra to get a better looking laptop.

Thin and light laptops are generally expensive. You could get a used MacBook Air and run Windows in BootCamp. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 hour ago, Zando Bob said:

A Mac is a Personal Computer. 

thats just what the program says.

Just now, Foul said:

if you're talking about the system requirements.. then yes.

I just have extreme paranoia that someones gonna judge me on my laptop LMAO, so i dont mind spending extra to get a better looking laptop.

Like I said elsewhere, thin and light laptops are like Porshces, and Thinkpad are like a '90s Boxbody F150. Tough, rugged looking, and functional. They still look nice in their own way, and the build quality is stellar. 

Main PC 

1 minute ago, Foul said:

thats just what the program says.

Then they don't know much. They probs don't even know that Mac invented the UI and was out before Windows (what people normally call a PC). 

Main PC 

You are going to get judged either way. Not that it matters, that's life. Get whatever laptop fits your budget and needs.

I couldnt find this on canada's newegg site saadly so it might not be available, but its under $800 USD for the i7 variant, My uncle jsut purchased the i5 sku and i can personally atest to its light weight and features

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834315712

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 hour ago, TVwazhere said:

I couldnt find this on canada's newegg site saadly so it might not be available, but its under $800 USD for the i7 variant, My uncle jsut purchased the i5 sku and i can personally atest to its light weight and features

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834315712

Thanks for the suggestion!

i think i found the i5 variant do you think this is it?

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/acer-acer-aspire-e-15-6-laptop-black-intel-i5-7200u-256-ssd-8gb-ram-nvidia-940mx-windows-10-e5-575g-55nw/10497405.aspx 

2 minutes ago, Foul said:

That's it! My uncle just got that exact laptop (by my suggestion) its a pretty solid laptop overall. USB Type C, 8gb ram, 256 SSD with room for a 1TB drive ( i think his came with that already installed, not sure)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Just now, TVwazhere said:

That's it! My uncle just got that exact laptop (by my suggestion) its a pretty solid laptop overall. USB Type C, 8gb ram, 256 SSD with room for a 1TB drive ( i think his came with that already installed, not sure)

Not a bad laptop. Only reason I didn't get something similar is that my college expects me to do cad modeling on the go.

A smile goes much farther than the person it's meant for.

First impressions are important, it sets the stage for respect.

"If you don't know every word you don't know it!"- SGM McCray

Just now, TheNewbiestONewbs said:

Not a bad laptop. Only reason I didn't get something similar is that my college expects me to do cad modeling on the go.

Yeah this would be kinda weak for CAD modeling, but for anything less GPU or CPU strenuous this is a very solid unit, especialy given specs and weight :D not sure how the battery life is on it though

Just now, TVwazhere said:

Yeah this would be kinda weak for CAD modeling, but for anything less GPU or CPU strenuous this is a very solid unit, especialy given specs and weight :D not sure how the battery life is on it though

If the uni is anything like mine we have wall outlets every 5 ft within a classroom. That's just in places like the english department. 

A smile goes much farther than the person it's meant for.

First impressions are important, it sets the stage for respect.

"If you don't know every word you don't know it!"- SGM McCray

@Foul Threads merged. Making multiple threads about the same topic isn't allowed.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

1 hour ago, TVwazhere said:

I dont think its anything crazy... more so typing / number crunching,

Heres a ss of the full requirements.

https://gyazo.com/0003056f2523e093f661fcd2ee92669a

Hey,

Im kinda confused on what i should buy, Laptop wise...

So the uni class im picking just says "minimum specs must be an i5 Or higher."

So ive got it down to 3 laptops i kinda want.

My budget is 1000$ Canadian or about 800 USD.

I Do REALLY like sleek looking laptops thin small etc.

I dont think its anything crazy we are doing on the laptop more so typing / number crunching. 

Here are the 3 laptops im looking at, If you think you found a better laptop please link it below :)

Acer Aspire E 15.6" 

Intel i5-7200U

256 SSD

NVIDIA 940MX

Price: 850$ CAD

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/acer-acer-aspire-e-15-6-laptop-black-intel-i5-7200u-256-ssd-8gb-ram-nvidia-940mx-windows-10-e5-575g-55nw/10497405.aspx

ASUS Notebooks X556UQ-DB51-CA 15.6"

Intel Core i5 6200U

NO SSD 1TB 7200RPM

NVIDIA 940MX

Price: 1025$ CAD ( On Sale 855$ CAD)

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834234222

Acer Swift 3 14.0"

Intel Core i5 7200U 

256 GB SSD

Intel HD Graphics 620

Price 830$ CAD

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834316092CVF&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwordsCA-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwordsCA-PC-_-pla-_-Notebooks-_-N82E16834316092CVF&gclid=Cj0KCQjwwLHLBRDEARIsAN1A1Q6OK4sT_AZKcHuJ1e4xWhOnWXQSxOk2nwf9yVLaqzRcDY-Fuuechs0aAmzKEALw_wcB

1 hour ago, Alaradia said:

whats the course 

Accounting.

I would recommend the dell inspiron 15 7000. I personally have not used it however Linus has reviewed a similar device and praised it for its value. It would also allow you to game well with a GTX 1050, has a quad core kaby lake i7 and a 256gb SSD

http://www.dell.com/uk/business/p/inspiron-15-7567-laptop/pd?oc=bn56701

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwjMjo35ypPVAhUkCsAKHbJRD5UQyCkIMDAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DjJPQfWCuxAo&usg=AFQjCNEsibFbGAHbKSh3qlJWNrD4wlqsUA

I would severely discourage from the HDD based Asus, it will eventually cause you much hassle due to its lower speed and lower reliability (dont want to loose your work because you dropped the laptop)

1 minute ago, ScratchCat said:

I would recommend the dell inspiron 15 7000. I personally have not used it however Linus has reviewed a similar device and praised it for its value. It would also allow you to game well with a GTX 1050, has a quad core kaby lake i7 and a 256gb SSD

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwjMjo35ypPVAhUkCsAKHbJRD5UQyCkIMDAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DjJPQfWCuxAo&usg=AFQjCNEsibFbGAHbKSh3qlJWNrD4wlqsUA

I would severely discourage from the HDD based Asus, it will eventually cause you much hassle due to its lower speed and lower reliability (dont want to loose your work because you dropped the laptop)

I was just going to suggest Dell. There are a whole series of Latitude laptops that range from ~500 USD to ~800 USD that are all fairly good. I have a Latitude 7450 for work that is just great.

1 hour ago, ScratchCat said:

Thanks for the response, but i have been told the ZenBooks from Asus are killers at there price range for what youre getting.

And yes the laptop you suggesting is 1300$ Canadian, im sure it is a very good laptop from the graphics card / video  but im not planing on doin any crazy gaming on it, more so just mulit windows / Word open.

i found somethin almost the same but it is 1000$ and thats on sale so its kinda pushing it.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/dell-dell-i7567-15-6-laptop-black-intel-core-i5-7300hq-1tb-8gb-hdd-8gb-ram-windows-10-i7567-5314blk-pca/10567344.aspx?cmp=KNC-GOOGLE:Shopping+Campaign+-+Laptops+-+RLSA:Laptops&gclid=CjwKCAjw47bLBRBkEiwABh-PkcXVPWn2IELAv6l2kc4WWCLfgGXhFAQbV9K6n8XabvuXp8mhcmKp7BoCC50QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

1 hour ago, AncientNerd said:

I was just going to suggest Dell. There are a whole series of Latitude laptops that range from ~500 USD to ~800 USD that are all fairly good. I have a Latitude 7450 for work that is just great.

Thank you very much for the suggestion 

but for some reason Dell is stupid expensive in Canada i do not know why.